I thought we were going to get a big WR...

Toshiero

Welcome to TBD, home of the Kool-Aid drinkers and lemmings galore. Kool-Aid drinkers just dont deal well with reality and logic. They Want to Believe. And you had better too, or else!

Everyone says Nix is a good evaluator of talent, yet lets look at the facts

In the 3 years since Nix returned to the Bills and was in charge of player evaluations, they have had the worst 3 year record in 25 years.

Since Nix returned to the team in 2009 the Bills have sent 2 players to the Pro Bowl

In any 3 year period in the last 10 years the least number of players that the Bills sent to the pro bowl was 6. At least 2 per year. Last year none were sent.

In 2011 he had a number 3 pick and selected Dareus, a player who was in fact worthy of a number 3 pick, but then again so were all the possible top 5 picks last year. He picked 4 players that may or may not turn out to be above average players this year, this season will tell that story.

In 2010 the only possible standout pick was Spiller with a top 10 pick, this year will tell the story on Spiller.

In 2009 the Bills wasted the 11th pick on Maybin, but had a decent draft with the next four picks, no standout players, but decent players

This record does not show Nix to be anything but a below average selector of talent since he joined the Bills in 2009. Many of the Kool-Aid drinkers talk about how he is the Pro and he knows more than us, but as a Pro, his record in Buffalo is well below stellar. You earn faith, and he has to date done little to justify my faith.

Wow...really? When Nix came back to the Bills in '09 he was a National Scout and focused on the Southeast. To suggest he had anything to do with the scouting, recruiting, and selecting of Maybin is as ignorant as it is a stretch...just add that selection to a long list of "F" ups by the previous regime, hence the reason they were FIRED.

As for your Pro-Bowl BS...as if that is anywhere near an accurate measuring stick of talent, Nix proved his theories in SD home slice. After a rebuilding process (well know that this usually takes 3 years)in which he was one of the main decision makers in college and pro scouting, as well as drafting, the chargers sent something like 28 players to the pro bowl from '04-'08, all of which Nix had a hand in drafting and/or recruiting.

Yes, this team has been a mess for over a decade, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the progression as of late.

Or we can just be like you two schleps and think everyone this team hires, drafts and signs are crap until they win something. Yeah, that's exactly what a being a fan is all about.

Edited by Armchair GM

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5'11 is small for a WR.. maybe not a "midget" but close enough for the point he was making. How many successful WRs can you name that are under 6 feet tall? Wes Welker may be the only exception, and he fulfills a different role than we expect Graham to...

5'11 is small for a WR.. maybe not a "midget" but close enough for the point he was making. How many successful WRs can you name that are under 6 feet tall? Wes Welker may be the only exception, and he fulfills a different role than we expect Graham to...

A few ...

Steve Smith - Giants

Steve Smith - Panthers

Greg Jennings

DeSean Jackson

Santana Moss

Laverneus Coles

Ummm ... Lee Evans (5'10" and he did okay in Buffalo, I think) !!!!

A few ...

Steve Smith - Giants

Steve Smith - Panthers

Greg Jennings

DeSean Jackson

Santana Moss

Laverneus Coles

:thumbsup:

Nice work.. though I'm not going to give you the Giant's Steve Smith.. considering he's on the Eagles now and he's 4th string.

haha scrath that.. apparently he's on the rams now?

Edited by Billsrhody

That isn't covered even when he is. I mean that is what Nix said we were going to go after in the offseason right? Instead we draft a midget in the 3rd round with a 7th round grade. Didn't we have a guy like that in Parrish we let walk?

The guy is ~ 6' 188, that's your definition of a midget?

Also, this guy is a down field burner, not a "waterbug" like Parrish. He plays a completely different game.

I think you got some bad information..

Alexander Tounkara-Kone

Nice point, although he's a long shot.

According to rivals.com his career long reception was 107 yards... pretty impressive

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/152424

Thats yahoo sports for you.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wow...really? When Nix came back to the Bills in '09 he was a National Scout and focused on the Southeast. To suggest he had anything to do with the scouting, recruiting, and selecting of Maybin is as ignorant as it is a stretch...just add that selection to a long list of "F" ups by the previous regime, hence the reason they were FIRED.

As for your Pro-Bowl BS...as if that is anywhere near an accurate measuring stick of talent, Nix proved his theories in SD home slice. After a rebuilding process (well know that this usually takes 3 years)in which he was one of the main decision makers in college and pro scouting, as well as drafting, the chargers sent something like 28 players to the pro bowl from '04-'08, all of which Nix had a hand in drafting and/or recruiting.

Yes, this team has been a mess for over a decade, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the progression as of late.

Or we can just be like you two schleps and think everyone this team hires, drafts and signs are crap until they win something. Yeah, that's exactly what a being a fan is all about.

You nailed it.

1335887507[/url]' post='2454556']

The guy is ~ 6' 188, that's your definition of a midget?

Also, this guy is a down field burner, not a "waterbug" like Parrish. He plays a completely different game.

I think you got some bad information..

Nice point, although he's a long shot.

According to rivals.com his career long reception was 107 yards... pretty impressive

http://rivals.yahoo..../players/152424

Thats yahoo sports for you.

He's not 6 foot. He's 5'11 3/8 :)

That isn't covered even when he is. I mean that is what Nix said we were going to go after in the offseason right? Instead we draft a midget in the 3rd round with a 7th round grade. Didn't we have a guy like that in Parrish we let walk?

They definitely reached for Graham but maybe they feel that the big guys we have are better than the guys that were available at the time. Personally I would have much rather had Tommy Streeter in the 6th or TE Michael Egnew in the third and WR Devon Wylie in the 4rth.

A few ...

Steve Smith - Giants

Steve Smith - Panthers

Greg Jennings

DeSean Jackson

Santana Moss

Laverneus Coles

You had a good enough list without having to name a guy twice just because he got traded.

We have a crap load of WRs on the roster we haven't even checked out yet: Hagen, Easley, and Clowney.

1) Nix wasn't the GM in 2009.

2) Nix only had weeks in the GM chair to prepare for the 2010 draft. Plus Tom Modrak was still head of scouting. He got fired after that draft.

Not sure what your are drinking but it ain't making you any smarter.

PTR

I never said Nix was GM in early 2009 , please learn to read before you make false statements. He came to this team as a talent evaluator and his job was to evaluate talent. He was a major part of a team that produced that draft. As the saying goes "garbage in, garbage out". If your head scout is fed bad information, he can make bad decisions. I find it hard to believe that the scouting department did not work as a team on player evaluations and that Nix was not involved in their recommendations.

Coming from the talent evaluation team, he worked his way up through the organization throughout 2009. He became GM in December 2009. He had months to prepare for the draft, since the Bills were already toast for the season when he became GM. From January till the draft his number one job was the draft, free agents and resignings, there were no games or practices to prepare for.

Correct me if I am wrong, but usually the head of scouting ultimately works for the GM in most organizations. Considering Nix supposedly came from that organization's talent evaluation department, he should have been able to know enough about that side of the business to make informed decisions using input from his own staff (Modrack). In business, the buck stops at the desk of the boss. He is totally responsible for the 2010 draft. No excuses.

I simply presented the facts about the team in my post. I do not accept excuses or justifications. The facts are facts. You are welcome to dispute the facts, if the ones I gave were wrong. Was I wrong about the win/loss record, the success of the picks, or the pro bowl appearances? But they are not, they are simple history. Sorry you don't like the history. You prefer to mitigate the facts with excuses and try to paint them into your delusional fantasies. But sadly,they still remain facts.

As with players, what they did 5 or 10 years ago does not mean squat today, it is about today, it is about what he has done with the Bills in the past 3 years, that is the reality. You can try to paint the reality anyway you want to, but it does not change it. Those of us who are not delusional do not have to accept your delusions as ours. Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

Unlike religion or politics, being a fan does not require you to have faith in the unproven, or accept lies as fact, and facts as lies. The game is played for the benefit and the entertainment of the fan, the fan does not exist for the benefit of the team, the owners, the management or the players. They get our money in exchange for providing us entertainment. We get to criticize and question them as part of the deal, we pay for it.

I never said Nix was GM in early 2009 , please learn to read before you make false statements. He came to this team as a talent evaluator and his job was to evaluate talent. He was a major part of a team that produced that draft. As the saying goes "garbage in, garbage out". If your head scout is fed bad information, he can make bad decisions. I find it hard to believe that the scouting department did not work as a team on player evaluations and that Nix was not involved in their recommendations.

Coming from the talent evaluation team, he worked his way up through the organization throughout 2009. He became GM in December 2009. He had months to prepare for the draft, since the Bills were already toast for the season when he became GM. From January till the draft his number one job was the draft, free agents and resignings, there were no games or practices to prepare for.

Correct me if I am wrong, but usually the head of scouting ultimately works for the GM in most organizations. Considering Nix supposedly came from that organization's talent evaluation department, he should have been able to know enough about that side of the business to make informed decisions using input from his own staff (Modrack). In business, the buck stops at the desk of the boss. He is totally responsible for the 2010 draft. No excuses.

I simply presented the facts about the team in my post. I do not accept excuses or justifications. The facts are facts. You are welcome to dispute the facts, if the ones I gave were wrong. Was I wrong about the win/loss record, the success of the picks, or the pro bowl appearances? But they are not, they are simple history. Sorry you don't like the history. You prefer to mitigate the facts with excuses and try to paint them into your delusional fantasies. But sadly,they still remain facts.

As with players, what they did 5 or 10 years ago does not mean squat today, it is about today, it is about what he has done with the Bills in the past 3 years, that is the reality. You can try to paint the reality anyway you want to, but it does not change it. Those of us who are not delusional do not have to accept your delusions as ours. Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

Unlike religion or politics, being a fan does not require you to have faith in the unproven, or accept lies as fact, and facts as lies. The game is played for the benefit and the entertainment of the fan, the fan does not exist for the benefit of the team, the owners, the management or the players. They get our money in exchange for providing us entertainment. We get to criticize and question them as part of the deal, we pay for it.

Brilliant Monologue.. 2nd to this only..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Spoken like a true used car salesman...enjoy your "glass half empty" existence.

Did you ever work for a boss who ignored your suggestions? The Bills have many scouts but on draft day none of them make the picks. You are making some big leaps there, my friend.

PTR

Do a little research (Google's you friend)

Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, Percy Harvin, DeSean Jackson...

date done little to justify my faith.

Thanks for sharing--and for joining an illustrious group of ignored users...