Somebody likes what we did.........

From Don banks with SI. " I love that defense the Bills are building for themselves. Between last year's first-round pick, defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, this year's free-agent additions, defensive ends Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, and this year's No. 10 pick, South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore, Buffalo has the guts of a good, young D in place.

The Bills still need more offense to fully compete in the AFC East, but it's easy to see the wisdom of their blueprint on defense. Get pass rushers and cover men, and try like heck to stop that vaunted Tom Brady-led Patriots passing game."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/04/26/2012.nfl.draft.first.round/index.html#ixzz1tFZFxBGj

The pick may not at all be flashy but it makes complete sense and should pay dividends rather quickly. Looking forward to the rest of the proceedings in the next two days.

From Don banks with SI. " I love that defense the Bills are building for themselves. Between last year's first-round pick, defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, this year's free-agent additions, defensive ends Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, and this year's No. 10 pick, South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore, Buffalo has the guts of a good, young D in place.

The Bills still need more offense to fully compete in the AFC East, but it's easy to see the wisdom of their blueprint on defense. Get pass rushers and cover men, and try like heck to stop that vaunted Tom Brady-led Patriots passing game."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/04/26/2012.nfl.draft.first.round/index.html#ixzz1tFZFxBGj

The pick may not at all be flashy but it makes complete sense and should pay dividends rather quickly. Looking forward to the rest of the proceedings in the next two days.

:thumbsup: I wanted Gilmore all along, even though I never heard of him until a few weeks ago! :rolleyes:

I like what the Bills are doing on defense too. I am not one who flipped out when they picked Spiller in 2010 first round, but I was afraid that it was an indication that the Bills, with Gailey, were going to focus too much on offensive wizardry, and have one of those wretched "bend but don't break (until crunch time)" defenses at best...for whatever reason, having a defense that can shut teams down (hopefully) excites me more than the prospect of a team that can lose a bunch of 38-35 type games...I'm old school...defense wins championships! Really excited to have all this great young talent, and to have a legit, proven, DC for the first time in about a decade, in a basic defense...

Really, I think we have a VERY solid defensive foundation now. We could use some help in our linebacker corps, and that's it. "It is a passing league now," is all anyone is saying these days, and our defense is built to stop just that. Glad our division opponents really don't run well. I trust Gailey will get our offense where it needs to be in order to get enough points in to be in every game.

As someone posted earlier in this thread, Williams and Gilmore together for the future will be very solid. Can't hate on a big physical CB who will tackle. Btw, I don't think he's missed a single game in his 3 year career as a starter for USC. I like what Buddy does, good clean, safe pick. Dareus- SEC, Shepard- SEC, Gilmore- SEC.

I think we're seeing a trend here...

A lot of people aren't seeing it but Nix is quickly building a defense that will rival any in the NFL.

Our biggest hurdle is beating the Patriots. So how do you stop Welker and Gronkowski?

1. You force them to stay in and block.

2. You jam them off their routes at the line

3. You have a kick ass nickel defense.

By my count, we're doing just fine.

If you want to "love" it, think about the big picture. What have we hung our hopes on? Our new stellar pass rush.

What is the biggest risk of an aggressive pass rush? The opposing offense will be able to burn our corners on now passes.

How do you protect from that? Big, physical corners who can jam and are sure tacklers. Without the Gilmore pick, we may have been wasting all that money spent on DEs in free agency.

I loved our FA signings so I have to love this pick.

If you want to "love" it, think about the big picture. What have we hung our hopes on? Our new stellar pass rush.

What is the biggest risk of an aggressive pass rush? The opposing offense will be able to burn our corners on now passes.

How do you protect from that? Big, physical corners who can jam and are sure tacklers. Without the Gilmore pick, we may have been wasting all that money spent on DEs in free agency.

I love this pick..I was all in for a corner..especially gilmore..if not I liked hightower out of alabama if we were able to trade

back..wasnt too keen on the kid out of bc...or floyd..we are going to get a great receiver in this draft...williams and gilmore are

going to be two great corners if they stay healthy...!I wouldnt be surprised if we get wr or lb in this round then oline later..we still

need fast linebacker!

A lot of people aren't seeing it but Nix is quickly building a defense that will rival any in the NFL.

Our biggest hurdle is beating the Patriots. So how do you stop Welker and Gronkowski?

1. You force them to stay in and block.

2. You jam them off their routes at the line

3. You have a kick ass nickel defense.

By my count, we're doing just fine.

Pressure Brady up the middle? Check.

Bring pressure from the edges cause he has to drop a little deeper now? Check.

Big, physical corners to make it a little harder on Welker? Check.

Still a ways to go but Buddy's on the right track with this defense. It is THE key to having any chance of winning the division and that ALWAYS has to be your first goal every season.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the pick too. When healthy last year, its not like we had any trouble scoring points. I think this defense may have the potential to hold the majority of teams we face this year under 17 ppg.

If we can add a WR and an OT in the next two rounds, I'd be extremely pleased with this draft.

Im telling you guys now......Gilmore & Williams are a nice tandem! Both big, fast, tough! Defense got bigger, faster & stronger! I love the pick myself!

This. I shrugged my shoulders yesterday when they made the pick but the more i look at it the more it makes sense and I don't think they could of done any better. Our D did get better and pass rush and competent DB's are the future of NFL defenses.

This.

The one thing a really good D-line *can't* help with are really quicks throws to receivers. When we're playing pass heavy teams (like the Pats) you'll get burned. The D-line will help a great deal on long drops and runs up the middle, and from the sound of it Gilmore has practice hitting RB's too.

As someone posted earlier in this thread, Williams and Gilmore together for the future will be very solid. Can't hate on a big physical CB who will tackle. Btw, I don't think he's missed a single game in his 3 year career as a starter for USC. I like what Buddy does, good clean, safe pick. Dareus- SEC, Shepard- SEC, Gilmore- SEC.

I think we're seeing a trend here...

He's listed at 6 feet 190. Not much different than McKelvin and lighter than Florence and Williams.

Is seems to me that Bills are trying to build a defense like Miami's when Wanstash was the headcoach. They had a dominant defensive line with bump and run cornerbacks. I'm sure they would have like Kuechly to fill Zack Thomas' role, but I'm sure having a lot of corners is going to help stop the Patriots. I think they will be able to find linebackers in later rounds.

I'm also happy that they got a quality player instead of reaching for need like the Bills used to do. Seatle fans have to be going nuts now.

i didn't like this pick. i thought the offense has been neglected. this is the way its going to be. i am trying to find the upside and like this pick. its still easier to deal with than the spiller pick. i keep hoping that it will be a good move in the long run.

This.

The one thing a really good D-line *can't* help with are really quicks throws to receivers. When we're playing pass heavy teams (like the Pats) you'll get burned. The D-line will help a great deal on long drops and runs up the middle, and from the sound of it Gilmore has practice hitting RB's too.

He's also got practice hitting QB's, too - I haven't seen it mentioned much, but this also ties right into improving the pass rush - Gilmore instantly becomes our best corner blitzer!

I was initally upset at how the first ten picks fell, but I'm liking the pick more and more as I think on it....