Sources: Bills looking to trade up

Rumor has it the Bills might consider giving up a 2nd round choice to the Vikings to move up and get Kalil. Kilil is the guy Buffalo really needs. But I would hate to give up a 2nd round pick to move up that far. I would be elated if the Vikings passed on Kalil and took Claiborn. Then it would be great if the Bills could make a trade giving up their 3rd round pick to move up to get Kalil at 5 or 6. Kilil would be the best guy for the Bills, but we need that 2nd round pick to fill one of the many holes we have. The ultimate would be if we could give a 3rd rounder to move up to get Kalil.

That being said, if it isn't possible to get Kalil, I wish we could trade our first round pick at 10 for both of the Bengals picks in the first round. I think we could get two starters at picks 17 and 21. We need a lot of help so two players in the first round would really help. Either one of those draft day trades would make me very happy.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it the Bills might consider giving up a 2nd round choice to the Vikings to move up and get Kalil. Kilil is the guy Buffalo really needs. But I would hate to give up a 2nd round pick to move up that far. I would be elated if the Vikings passed on Kalil and took Claiborn. Then it would be great if the Bills could make a trade giving up their 3rd round pick to move up to get Kalil at 5 or 6. Kilil would be the best guy for the Bills, but we need that 2nd round pick to fill one of the many holes we have. The ultimate would be if we could give a 3rd rounder to move up to get Kalil.

That being said, if it isn't possible to get Kalil, I wish we could trade our first round pick at 10 for both of the Bengals picks in the first round. I think we could get two starters at picks 17 and 21. We need a lot of help so two players in the first round would really help. Either one of those draft day trades would make me very happy.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Please explain to me how the tenth overall pick is worth the seventeenth and twenty-first picks of the draft, yet the third pick is only worth the tenth and forty-first? That's absurd; Minnesota would want more, though I wouldn't ever trade up for a left tackle, especially considering #3 will probably cost two first rounders.

I think that you are correct in, if the bills could trade up to 5th or 6th for Kalil (at a cheaper cost to move) that would be great.

In fact most of the defensive players that have been discussed at #10, would certainly improve the team also.

The only one s that I would object to at #10 are Reif or Tannehill.

BUT, if we had our draft wish, (as the title implies) then I definitely want either Blackmon or Floyd.

We do need a talented WR who can make tough catches and block downfield. Both of these players fill the bill. I just think that we are kidding ourselves waiting around, year after year, for average recievers like Jones, Easley, Clowney, Aiken, Nelson, and Roosevelt to step up.

I'll preface this by saying I'm all for Kalil and not a Kuechly apologist/booster, but saying Kuechly is Poz 2.0 based on some Clemson tape is weak. Michael Jordan probably shot 3-20 during a game in college and maybe even Hitler said "Thank You" once or twice. Doesn't mean Jordan sucked and Hitler was a good guy. See how ridiculous these statements are...Body of work is the measuring stick.

Please explain to me how the tenth overall pick is worth the seventeenth and twenty-first picks of the draft, yet the third pick is only worth the tenth and forty-first? That's absurd; Minnesota would want more, though I wouldn't ever trade up for a left tackle, especially considering #3 will probably cost two first rounders.

=================================================================================================================

I never said the Vikings would give up the 3rd pick for our 10th and 41st. That was the rumor reported by sports analysts. So you have to ask the sports anlayst who wrote the article to explain it to you. I said the ultimate would be if we could move up to 5 or 6 if Kalil falls. The Vikings could ask for a hundred first rounders if they want, but you know they won't get it. Buddy can make offers and if the other team wants more you walk away. Nothing gained nothing lost, it doesn't hurt to try. That's what he gets paid for, to try and make moves to better the club. They don't pay him to sit back on his fat arse and look pretty.

I'll preface this by saying I'm all for Kalil and not a Kuechly apologist/booster, but saying Kuechly is Poz 2.0 based on some Clemson tape is weak. Michael Jordan probably shot 3-20 during a game in college and maybe even Hitler said "Thank You" once or twice. Doesn't mean Jordan sucked and Hitler was a good guy. See how ridiculous these statements are...Body of work is the measuring stick.

You are what you eat:

2011 BC schedule

2010 BC schedule

IMO, he did very little against the few quality opponents BC faced, of which Clemson was the best last year and pretty good darn in 2010. Pat Kirwan said as much a few days ago.

As Parcels said the other night, trust what you see, not what you read...

I think that you are correct in, if the bills could trade up to 5th or 6th for Kalil (at a cheaper cost to move) that would be great.

In fact most of the defensive players that have been discussed at #10, would certainly improve the team also.

The only one s that I would object to at #10 are Reif or Tannehill.

BUT, if we had our draft wish, (as the title implies) then I definitely want either Blackmon or Floyd.

We do need a talented WR who can make tough catches and block downfield. Both of these players fill the bill. I just think that we are kidding ourselves waiting around, year after year, for average recievers like Jones, Easley, Clowney, Aiken, Nelson, and Roosevelt to step up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes indeed we need a talented wide receiver to stretch the field. The problem is we "NEED" a whole lot of help. Realistically speaking, the Bills were a NON playoff team with a ton of weaknesses. There is NO WAY we can fill all of the needs in one draft. It will take a minimum of this draft and next years to make the Bills a legitimate playoff contender. And that's only if they make both drafts very successful ones.

As much as we desperately need a wide out, which I agree, I would build the lines first. We have a good start on the D-line and if we could get a guy like Kalil that would solidify the O-line. That's where I would start, in the trenches. It all starts up front. Build that line so Fitzpatrick has the time to get the ball down field. What good is a guy that can stretch the field if you don't have time to get the ball down field? That's why the Bills run that pop gun offense, get the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less. I feel you build the foundation first, that's both lines, then you add the skill players.

You are what you eat:

2011 BC schedule

2010 BC schedule

IMO, he did very little against the few quality opponents BC faced, of which Clemson was the best last year and pretty good darn in 2010. Pat Kirwan said as much a few days ago.

There are so many things wrong with the argument you just tried to make..

First of all.. let me try to understand your line of thinking here.. Players that dont come from the SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 cannot be good football players? Last time I checked the ACC is a power conference. They play quality opponents every week inside of the conference. VT, GT, ND, Miami, Florida St to name a few. Brian Urlacher played college football at New Mexico. Any idea who they play on a yearly basis? How does he fit in to your theory?

Second.. the links you posted dont even show Kuechly stats in the games. Sure the team lost, but you have no idea how Kuechly played. Can you name one other player from BCs defense or offense without looking it up? How about Alabama? Why dont you keep that in mind when you start comparing players. Kuechly was the one good player on a mediocre team.

Third.. you cannot look at just 2 games even if he did play poorly in them. Why dont you try looking at his entire body of work, including college production, combine results, and interviews. After that, you might be able to come up with a more accurate assessment.

I just don't know about this Trade up stuff...Not sure how I feel about it...Pretty sure I don't like it though... :unsure:

I do really like Kalil...And I know the lure of Kalil, and a Franchise-type LT is tempting...But I've always been of the mind that IF I trust my Scouting Dept, I'll take more picks every day of the week...If I'm the Bills GM, I'll take my chances with 2 picks (#10 and #41) over just #3 overall any time, UNLESS I'm moving up for a Franchise QB...I don't like giving up picks at all...I also don't think The Bills are good enough, or deep enough (especially at LB, CB, and WR) to be giving up #41...

Even though I'm not a huge fan of Drafting Barron at #10, I'd much rather have Barron, WR Alshon Jeffery at #41, and start Hairston at LT, instead of just Kalil alone...And admittedly that may be just me... B-)

There aren't many negative things being said about Luke and lots of very good things being said about him. i hope you are not too dissapointed if we take him.

That's the problem. It's all talk. When I watch the video, I don't see the emperor's clothes.

If you say it enough, it has to be true, right? Just like every mock that has Reiff going to the Bills...

First of all.. let me try to understand your line of thinking here.. Players that dont come from the SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 cannot be good football players? Last time I checked the ACC is a power conference. They play quality opponents every week inside of the conference. VT, GT, ND, Miami, Florida St to name a few. Brian Urlacher played college football at New Mexico. Any idea who they play on a yearly basis? How does he fit in to your theory?

Second.. the links you posted dont even show Kuechly stats in the games. Sure the team lost, but you have no idea how Kuechly played. Can you name one other player from BCs defense or offense without looking it up? How about Alabama? Why dont you keep that in mind when you start comparing players. Kuechly was the one good player on a mediocre team.

Third.. you cannot look at just 2 games even if he did play poorly in them. Why dont you try looking at his entire body of work, including college production, combine results, and interviews. After that, you might be able to come up with a more accurate assessment.

Small school players can and do succeed. But one of the big challenges they face is how do they do fare against better talent. He failed miserably in the tape I watched vs. Celemson in 2011 and wasn't that great against them in 2010. I hope to find the Virgina Tech video to verify what I saw (not what I read).

I don't care about stats or combine results. That can be manufactured, as can interviews and even Wonderlic. I care about movement skills, instincts, the ability to shed blocks and make the play the team needs (not tackles 8 yards down field or after a guy reaches the first down stripe) and projectability to an NFL career.

I have yet to see what the hype is about...

A lot of people I respect here like Kuechly.

But I've been with Lurker on this one.

Here's the two things about Kuechly:

He played on a mediocre team with a mediocre line in front of him.

NO linebacker will look good in those circumstances… I recall people saying Ray Lewis was near the end of his career after the Ravens lost Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa. In other words, people were saying Ray Lewis was washed up in 2002. After the Ravens acquired Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata, suddenly Ray Lewis looked like the dominant LB he had always been. Truth is, Lewis' play never changed… only the quality of the players in front of him did. That's the way it is with linebackers. They are only as good as the guys protecting them.

On the negative side however, having watched a significant amount of video on Kuechly, I just don't see it… particularly Mayock's comments ring hollow. If you look at the BC-Clemson game from this most recent season, Kuechly looks completely lost in pass coverage… and yet Mayock says he's the best zone cover backer he's ever seen?

I'd take Mayock's word before mine of course but I also trust my own eyes and judgement so the disconnect makes me very wary of Kuechly.

You are what you eat:

2011 BC schedule

2010 BC schedule

Agreed 100%. Go Michael Floyd baby!

Who are these sources? It's like Source A reports that Source B is reporting X, and Source B reports that Source A is also saying X.

If I've learned anything, it's Buddy Nix says what he does and viceversa. Hasn't he said the Bills weren't going to trade up? (I don't know if I've actually heard him say it, or if I was relying on what someone said here, which is kind of like the above scenario).

Despite what Chris Brown said in his mock, with a No. 10 going for a safety, and this rumor, I say we're already stacked at safety, aren't moving up, and drafting Kuechley (LB) at 10.

Buddy flat out said as of noon today that rumors re moving up are BS. If they move at all, they are "likely" to move down. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-more-likely-to-move-back-than-up/0709f4a9-2b91-4cb6-a46b-f37a46f708ef

So either Buddy is one crafty SOB or he truly is intent on staying put or moving down. Either way, I think this whole thing is really entertaining.

Edited by cgang

I guarantee that every one of his games from the moment he started as a freshman has been scrutinized by most, if not every scout in the league. Many of his practice tapes have been as well. Not of little importance are the interviews conducted with all of his coaches including, most likely, his high school coach.

This is to say nothing of the first hand scouting at his games. Everything, from the way he goes on and off the field, his demeanor on the sidelines, his body language after a bad play, etc. is put under the microscope.

And that's BEFORE a team interviews him in person.

If the Clemson game were the rule, he wouldn't be considered the best prospect at his position, let alone garner all the awards and accolades he has up to this point.

The whole body of work. Nothing less. And even then it's a crap shoot.

GO BILLS!!!

You are what you eat:

2011 BC schedule

2010 BC schedule

In 2011 Kuechly had 16 tackles against Clemson. 11 solo and 5 assisted.

In 2010, he had 14 tackles against Clemson. 10 solo and 4 assisted.

If that is "doing little" then I would like to see a good game.

Edited by mjt328

If the Clemson game were the rule, he wouldn't be considered the best prospect at his position, let alone garner all the awards and accolades he has up to this point.

The whole body of work. Nothing less. And even then it's a crap shoot.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. I'm not discounting the work that's been done on him by professionals who live and breath this stuff. But it makes me wonder what they're seeing, frankly.

The very limited sample I saw (two Clemson games) was enough to give me the sense he plays like Tarzan versus Duke, but looks a lot like Jane against better teams...

The best I can figure from all the reliable mock drafts is that one or more of the following players will likely be available at #10: Kuechly, Kalil, Gilmore, Barron, and Floyd. So long as the Bills pick one of them, I'll be happy. If they pick Tannehill, Rieff, Martin, Adams or Clady there, I'm going to kick your dog.