Longtime lurker just has to chime in...

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've been a longtime lurker on this board, for at least 3 years... never posted until now. I have to say I've been hugely impressed with the body of knowledge on this board and it's been a joy to read your insights. I've read things on here which I haven't found anywhere else. You guys (and gals?) are not only Bills fans, you're football fans. It's been a joy to read, and now participate. You won't hear from me too often. It's tough to add to what many of you post. (although I do have a few friends within the Bills org and can sometimes throw something on the frying pan)

An article on TBD this morning, out of Toronto, seems to sum everything up well. The author has spoken with Nix often and pieced together a plausible argument that the #10 pick will be Kuechly .

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/04/24/19674541.html?twobillsdrive

Mike

Hey Mike, welcome (officially) to the board. I'm in a similar situation as you where I don't post very often, but I'm on here reading every single day.

Anyway, in terms of Kuechly and the draft...there's so much information out there now that I have no idea what to believe. Although if Kuechly can really play any of the three LB positions in a 4-3, and play them well, I'd be okay with the pick.

Thanks for the link. Good article. Keuchly would be a BPA pick. He could definitely add depth the the LB corps and could push for a starting job right away. I like the versatility. Barnett and Sheppard can also both play inside and outside. If gives the Bills lots of options and depth.

Hey Mike, welcome (officially) to the board. I'm in a similar situation as you where I don't post very often, but I'm on here reading every single day.

Anyway, in terms of Kuechly and the draft...there's so much information out there now that I have no idea what to believe. Although if Kuechly can really play any of the three LB positions in a 4-3, and play them well, I'd be okay with the pick.

This is exactly where every GM in the NFL wants everyone to be...flooded with "inside" information, thinking that all signs are pointing to...someone other than who they really want.It's a lot of fun, and I have my opinions as well, but in the end I have no clue who they will pick...aside from Indi and Washington.

I do a TON of player e v a l and research every year and I find guys who I really like, most of whom end up in the NFL, some are as good as I thought they' be, some end up as career back ups, and some flat out fail. I can name, maybe, 5 guys I wanted the Bills to draft over the last 5 years (43 total picks), that they actually did. ('07-Wendling' '08- ZERO; '09-Wood; '10-Carrigton; '11-Dareus and Sheppard which is not all that impressive as everyone knew about Dareus)

All in all, WE have no idea what WE are talking about!! If we did, we'd be working in the NFL.

Edited by Armchair GM

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've been a longtime lurker on this board, for at least 3 years... never posted until now. I have to say I've been hugely impressed with the body of knowledge on this board and it's been a joy to read your insights. I've read things on here which I haven't found anywhere else. You guys (and gals?) are not only Bills fans, you're football fans. It's been a joy to read, and now participate. You won't hear from me too often. It's tough to add to what many of you post. (although I do have a few friends within the Bills org and can sometimes throw something on the frying pan)

An article on TBD this morning, out of Toronto, seems to sum everything up well. The author has spoken with Nix often and pieced together a plausible argument that the #10 pick will be Kuechly .

Mike

Judging by the way you write,it sounds to me like you fly airplanes for a living?

This is my best case scenario. I'm more concerned with immediate LB depth than CB or safety. At this time, there are only 7 linebackers on the roster:

• Kelvin Sheppard - Starter in middle
  • Nick Barnett - Starter outside
  • Kirk Morrison - Starter outside
  • Chris White - backup outside, 6th round pick last year who had a season ending injury in week 10
  • Arthur Moats - backup outside, more of a rushbacker than a cover guy
  • Bryan Scott - backup outside, more of a safety
  • Scott McKillop - backup middle, ummm WHO?

Andra Davis & Reggie Torbor are both unsigned and unrestricted. Merriman is now listed as a DE.

If it's true that Keuchly can play any LB position I think he's the guy.

Welcome aboard, Mike. I lurked for almost 2 years before registering to comment in a debate that was raging about intelligent design and Noah's ark of all things.

Hi Mike. Welcome to the light of day here on TBD. And thanks for the link. Any article that spells offense as "offence" can't be too offensive. And actually, the author has some good insights and I'm at least partially convinced by his reasoning.

I think those are the proper Canadian spellings, and it's a Canadian site.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/offence-offense/

Offense is the preferred spelling in American English, and offence is preferred everywhere else. The words are the same in all their definitions.

This is my best case scenario. I'm more concerned with immediate LB depth than CB or safety. At this time, there are only 7 linebackers on the roster:

• Kelvin Sheppard - Starter in middle
  • Nick Barnett - Starter outside
  • Kirk Morrison - Starter outside
  • Chris White - backup outside, 6th round pick last year who had a season ending injury in week 10
  • Arthur Moats - backup outside, more of a rushbacker than a cover guy
  • Bryan Scott - backup outside, more of a safety
  • Scott McKillop - backup middle, ummm WHO?

Andra Davis & Reggie Torbor are both unsigned and unrestricted. Merriman is now listed as a DE.

If it's true that Keuchly can play any LB position I think he's the guy.

I think the idea against Keuchly is that you can find an mlb or olb in round 2 a lot easier than a WR like Floyd. I agree that it would be a good pick to take Keuchly at 10 but there is a good case that you can find LB's in later rounds.

I think the idea against Keuchly is that you can find an mlb or olb in round 2 a lot easier than a WR like Floyd. I agree that it would be a good pick to take Keuchly at 10 but there is a good case that you can find LB's in later rounds.

I think it's the other way around. This is a very deep draft for WR, especially vertical threats (rather than pure #1s) who are later round prospects.

I disagree. We can find any position in any round. The question is, are any of them better than the one you have rated highest.

I don't pretend to have the first clue as to who the Bills take nor to I advocate them taking anyone in particular (I want the BPA), but I'm pretty confident that when it comes to LBs in this draft, nobody has the same combination of proven college production AND athleticism AND intelligence for the position.

GO BILLS!!!

Welcome and I agree. And here's one more thing I like about this site (seriously): if comments are stupid or snarky or obnoxious they're easy to ignore while you work your way back to the better posts.

Here's what I would like about a Kuechly pick, assuming (1) the experts (esp. Mike Mayock) are right about him and (2) Anderson is what he looks like, Williams is what he looks like, and Merriman has something left in the tank:

My point (2) is really about the pass rush. We could all be drooling on every third-and-long watching these guys go to work. But you don't get to third-and-long unless you can stop the run. You need good linebacker play to stuff the run if and when your D-line is engaged at the line of scrimmage; you can't put it all on your DT's and your undersized (compared to OT's) DE's. If our D-line can strip down or contain the run blocking and our LB's can fill holes to make no-gain and short-gain stops, here comes third-and-long. And second-and-long. So if Kuechly can do that, I'd be thrilled with the pick.

Judging by the way you write,it sounds to me like you fly airplanes for a living?

Oh c'mon...it's plainly obvious he's a boat captain! :-)

I lurked for years too...sometimes I still lurk for weeks without posting. (And the crowd chants "YAY")

My pick is Kuechly as well...although how do you pass on Richardson if he falls? (which he probably won't)

Thanks for the link! Good read...I hope this guy is right...But I do think they view Barron as an answer in those short zone areas and TE coverage as well...It may come down to Barron or Kuechly...So...If I was GM and I had Barron and Kuechly with similar Grades, I would wonder what depth I like better...Morrison/Moats, or Wilson/Searcy/Scott...But that's just me... B-)

Mike

i feel you there for the last 2 plus years i joined about 2 years ago but been lurking before that i check this site atleast 5 times a day if not more i love my bills my earliest memories are of me and my dad at the ralph when i was a very young child i grew up with the bills and i love tbd the home of the greatest fans of the greatest team i know soon the lombradi trophy will be brought to where it should be one bills drive GO BILLS

I slowed my roll on chiming in because I am lazy. And half the time the argument I want to present is pointless for me to argue with some. But once in awhile I feel froggy. TBD is better than BBMB (Buffalo Bills Message Boards) in my opinion. I don't even check out BBMB except when I have friend tells me there is good info to read .