Are gun safety classes worthwhile?

Beerball

Why were there live rounds in the gun.... :unsure: When I took a class, we were given real guns (which apparently is also frowned upon for some reason -- the instructor said, "Screw that, I want you to know what a gun really feels like when there's no ammo so that you don't do something stupid when I give you a real gun on the range!"), but fake ammo to practice loading/unloading.

I honestly wonder if the guy learned anything.

Like Dib is fond of saying, "Stupid should hurt."

In this case at least, I'm sure it does.

Darin's quote, I think.

And I think that should be an integral part of all gun safety classes: instructor leaves the class alone with the guns for 15 minutes. If you come out uninjured, you pass. Because frankly, if you can't safely coexist in the same room with a gun for 15 minutes, I don't want you owning a gun.

hey...constitutional right to bear arms...deal with it.

I got rid of mine the day I left the sheriff's dept and never owned another. Needed it in Viet Nam and needed it on the department, and don't need one sitting in my house.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And one of the results of that is firearms accidents.

Like tenny says: deal with it. You accept the Second Amendment (note: I do), you have to accept the unfortunate results that come with it (note: I do).

Firearms classes don't do one thing and it's where most accidents happen.

Cleaning your firearm.

People forget they either have a loaded magazine or have chambered a round.

They go to clean it and think they are dry firing it and boom. Or they panic when they see it's loaded and do not know how to properly clear the chamber and unload the magazine.

I think every class should have a cleaning section. You're given the gun loaded. You have to clear it, strip it, clean it and reassemble it to pass.

Firearms classes don't do one thing and it's where most accidents happen.

Cleaning your firearm.

Seriously? That's unbelievable. Most people are going to spend at least as much time cleaning their gun as firing it.

Seriously? That's unbelievable. Most people are going to spend at least as much time cleaning their gun as firing it.

A couple things conspire against that unfortunate series of events.

1. Gun enthusiasts and you'll have them teaching the class or friends of the student, insist that to properly defend your home, you have to have your handgun loaded and ready to go. Folks load up their handguns with minimal time shooting them and knowing how they function and forget that they are loaded or don't know how to unload it.

2. Same gun enthusiasts also strongly recommend cleaning your gun often, that for some reason, it won't work if you don't clean it obsessively. It's like the 3,000 mile oil change. Really need that? Probably not.

3. The most popular guns on the market today are guns without external safeties or decockers. The only safety on a Glock for example, is your brain. Pull the trigger, it is designed to go boom. If you need a firearms course, the last handgun you should buy is one without external safeties and/or decocker levers.

4. Gun stores and sporting good stores have gun enthusiasts selling the guns...and generally dispensing advice that's ok for somebody familiar with firearms, but not the novice.

5. Lastly, people don't spend enough time learning about what they bought. They don't take it apart. They don't read the manual.

1. Gun enthusiasts and you'll have them teaching the class or friends of the student, insist that to properly defend your home, you have to have your handgun loaded and ready to go. Folks load up their handguns with minimal time shooting them and knowing how they function and forget that they are loaded or don't know how to unload it.

2. Same gun enthusiasts also strongly recommend cleaning your gun often, that for some reason, it won't work if you don't clean it obsessively. It's like the 3,000 mile oil change. Really need that? Probably not.

3. The most popular guns on the market today are guns without external safeties or decockers. The only safety on a Glock for example, is your brain. Pull the trigger, it is designed to go boom. If you need a firearms course, the last handgun you should buy is one without external safeties and/or decocker levers.

4. Gun stores and sporting good stores have gun enthusiasts selling the guns...and generally dispensing advice that's ok for somebody familiar with firearms, but not the novice.

5. Lastly, people don't spend enough time learning about what they bought. They don't take it apart. They don't read the manual.

For those who think they are going to defend their home.

1. Getting the weapon in the dark, when you've just been woken up and are terrified may be a lot harder than you think it is.

2. Identifying the perp, aiming and pulling the trigger on a human being at 3am is fundamentally different from the hours you spent on the range. You'll not be able to pull the trigger, or will be horribly inaccurate.

3. The price of poker goes up enormously when you fire that weapon. The perp may have one as well and be a lot calmer and less hesitant to put one into your forehead.

Just sayin...

I believe #1 and #5 are the crux of this issue. My guns have all been long unloaded before I go to clean them (and I always double check). This is common sense and was taught adamantly to me in my gun safety course.

It should be required that anyone buying a gun would receive quick hands-on training how to disassemble and clean it from the seller than be required to successfully demonstrate before taking possession of the gun.

As far as the uber-paranoid "gun always loaded" neurotics, I'm not sure what can be done about them and it is truly disconcerting that many instructors subscribe to this philosophy.

I believe #1 and #5 are the crux of this issue. My guns have all been long unloaded before I go to clean them (and I always double check). This is common sense and was taught adamantly to me in my gun safety course.

It should be required that anyone buying a gun would receive quick hands-on training how to disassemble and clean it from the seller than be required to successfully demonstrate before taking possession of the gun.

As far as the uber-paranoid "gun always loaded" neurotics, I'm not sure what can be done about them and it is truly disconcerting that many instructors subscribe to this philosophy.

My bedside gun is always loaded, But no kids in the house. Why would I not leave it loaded?

My bedside gun is always loaded, But no kids in the house. Why would I not leave it loaded?

Don't get me wrong, if you live in a bad neighborhood, there's been an increase in criminal activity, or you have a conflict with someone that you fear may escalate then I fully understand the reasoning for having the loaded gun easily accessible.

But to routinely leave a loaded, easily accessable gun lying around means you get casual about it and your chances of mistakenly leaving the safety off or having an accident with it are much greater than actually having to shoot a criminal.

Between clips, trigger locks and lock boxes you can easily set it up that you can have that gun ready to go within 10 seconds if needed.

If that still seems too long to you then keep a baseball bat nearby. If that still doesn't work than I think you're being overly paranoid and neurotic about your sense of security.

Don't get me wrong, if you live in a bad neighborhood, there's been an increase in criminal activity, or you have a conflict with someone that you fear may escalate then I fully understand the reasoning for having the loaded gun easily accessible.

But to routinely leave a loaded, easily accessable gun lying around means you get casual about it and your chances of mistakenly leaving the safety off or having an accident with it are much greater than actually having to shoot a criminal.

Between clips, trigger locks and lock boxes you can easily set it up that you can have that gun ready to go within 10 seconds if needed.

If that still seems too long to you then keep a baseball bat nearby. If that still doesn't work than I think you're being overly paranoid and neurotic about your sense of security.

Well looks like I'm good because my bedside gun is a 1917 S&W revolver,.45 auto rim loaded with the hammer down. The ONLY way that gun is going off is if I give the trigger a long D.A. pull, or rooster the hammer and pull the trigger S.A. Not all of use own Glocks :nana: Again no kids [or anyone drinking] will ever have access to that gun. Big,Big difference.

For those who think they are going to defend their home.

1. Getting the weapon in the dark, when you've just been woken up and are terrified may be a lot harder than you think it is.

2. Identifying the perp, aiming and pulling the trigger on a human being at 3am is fundamentally different from the hours you spent on the range. You'll not be able to pull the trigger, or will be horribly inaccurate.

3. The price of poker goes up enormously when you fire that weapon. The perp may have one as well and be a lot calmer and less hesitant to put one into your forehead.

Just sayin...

Very well said.