The new top ten?

As we approach the draft, news is seeping out regarding how teams feel about the top players in this draft. Bill Polian, for example, does not feel that Matt Kalil is worth the 3rd pick in this draft. He doesn't have elite OT strength. He can be bull rushed. According to profootballtalk.com, Carolina loves Stephon Gilmore "a ton". Is this pre-draft smoke? Why would Polian be blowing smoke? He's now employed by ESPN.

Anyway; This is how the top ten stacks up based on what I have been hearing and reading.

1. Luck, 2. Griffin lll, 3. Richardson, 4. Claiborne, 5. Barron, 6. Gilmore, 7. Kuechly, 8. DeCastro, 9. Cox, 10. Kalil.

Does that mean Kalil falls to Buffalo and DeCastro is selected in the top ten? No. It just means that these players may now be thought of by GMs as the best players, regardless of position, in this draft. It also means that players like Gilmore, Barron, and Kuechly may not be there for Buffalo @ #10. With a little luck, Kalil will be selected before Buffalo and Miami will pick Tannehill, because I think Buddy is looking real hard at Gilmore and Kuechly.

As we approach the draft, news is seeping out regarding how teams feel about the top players in this draft. Bill Polian, for example, does not feel that Matt Kalil is worth the 3rd pick in this draft. He doesn't have elite OT strength. He can be bull rushed. According to profootballtalk.com, Carolina loves Stephon Gilmore "a ton". Is this pre-draft smoke? Why would Polian be blowing smoke? He's now employed by ESPN.

Anyway; This is how the top ten stacks up based on what I have been hearing and reading.

1. Luck, 2. Griffin lll, 3. Richardson, 4. Claiborne, 5. Barron, 6. Gilmore, 7. Kuechly, 8. DeCastro, 9. Cox, 10. Kalil.

Does that mean Kalil falls to Buffalo and DeCastro is selected in the top ten? No. It just means that these players may now be thought of by GMs as the best players, regardless of position, in this draft. It also means that players like Gilmore, Barron, and Kuechly may not be there for Buffalo @ #10. With a little luck, Kalil will be selected before Buffalo and Miami will pick Tannehill, because I think Buddy is looking real hard at Gilmore and Kuechly.

A safty at 5 overall... And Blackmon not even in top ten??? not sure about this one... I wish this was the case then we have our pick of Kalil or Blackmon.

Miami appears to love Tannehill so he will be gone providing the Bills with another of your 10 to choose from. However I am really starting to believe Buddy wants to trade down and get another pick or two.

Gilmore, I agree, is a Buddy type of player and his comment that Kuechly can play any LB position could show he is open to picking him but not as a MLB because they are sold on Sheppard in the middle.

A good top ten list.

I think your point is a very good one to make, though - you didn't include in that list guys like Blackmon or Tannehill - and who knows who else might sneak into the top of the first round. But, if the Bills stay at 10 they are sure to get a very highly rated player drop into their laps. Now, the story is that Buffalo would like to trade down. If things fall this way and a few good players are on the board when the 10 pick happens, then maybe they'll get their wish. And, if not, then maybe they end up with a good CB or LB to move forward with. Either way, it looks like it'll end well for Buffalo this year. I can't wait to see how this draft unfolds.

This is a crapshoot, but I'll take a shot at it. The first two are simple enough.

1. Luck

2. Griffin III

3. Kalil

4. Tannehill - Browns are desperate, McCoy is a bust. They should take Richardson here, but they are the Browns afterall

5. Calibourne

6. Richardson - Rams can't believe their luck

7. Blackmon - Neither can the Jags

8. Coples - Miami screwed again :beer: , could take Wheedon in R2

9. Cox

10. Gilmore - Hopefully can start day one opposite Williams or McGee

Buffalo needs corners. We won't be resigning Florence or McPenalties (McKelvin) at season's end and McGee who is really good is 32 and prone to injury. This isn't a BPA but a need pick. He's a mild reach but if Gilmore can be built into an NFL shut down corner, we'll be very fortunate.

It's so hard to take all the draft talk seriously. No one actually knows what teams think, at least they shouldn't if those teams are smart.

PTR

The pre-draft "common knowledge" is what's hard to take seriously, especially this year when the first round talent seems so thin. What's happening now is that the curtain is being lifted a bit as teams finalize their boards--and a lot of what we thought we knew gets tuned upside down.

I'm a big fan of Pro Football Weekly and I was shocked to see that Nawrocki--based on considerable feedback from NFL teams--has guys that were formerly highly rated slipping way down the board. Jonathan Martin, who was almost always thought of as a day one pick, is now considered a low second rounder due to concerns about his strength. OTOH, Rueben Randle is is now viewed as a first round pick.

Smoke and mirrors? Maybe. But maybe the January-March plotline was even more so...

Miami appears to love Tannehill so he will be gone providing the Bills with another of your 10 to choose from. However I am really starting to believe Buddy wants to trade down and get another pick or two.

Gilmore, I agree, is a Buddy type of player and his comment that Kuechly can play any LB position could show he is open to picking him but not as a MLB because they are sold on Sheppard in the middle.

A good top ten list.

Totally agree. Because Miami would be likely to go outside the Top Ten for Tannehill, it would bring Cox-Gilmore to Buffalo.

if Tannehill is gone and Kalil is there we take him.

This is a crapshoot, but I'll take a shot at it. The first two are simple enough.

1. Luck

2. Griffin III

3. Kalil

4. Tannehill - Browns are desperate, McCoy is a bust. They should take Richardson here, but they are the Browns afterall

5. Calibourne

6. Richardson - Rams can't believe their luck

7. Blackmon - Neither can the Jags

8. Coples - Miami screwed again :beer: , could take Wheedon in R2

9. Cox

10. Gilmore - Hopefully can start day one opposite Williams or McGee

Buffalo needs corners. We won't be resigning Florence or McPenalties (McKelvin) at season's end and McGee who is really good is 32 and prone to injury. This isn't a BPA but a need pick. He's a mild reach but if Gilmore can be built into an NFL shut down corner, we'll be very fortunate.

To which we pick Kuechly and Cleveland is going to the superbowl.

You know...I've yet to see a single Big Board that has Barron ahead of Kuechly, DeCastro, Cox, or in the Top 10 for that matter...Not one...Now, I'm not saying I've seen every Big Board, but I've been looking, and I can't find one...

I think this meteoric rise by Barron is ridiculous and unfounded...I could be wrong...But I kinda doubt it based on what I've seen over, and over, and over again...We'll see... B-)

This is just a general ranking of players and not a Mock Draft. Does anyone really, I mean REALLY, think that the Vikings are taking Richardson @ #3 even though they have Adrian Peterson? C'mon now, let's be the slightest bit realistic here. I'm sure everyone's draft board is different, but I can garauntee that Minnesota isn't looking at RB's unless it's in a proposed draft and trade scenario.

no way Minny takes Richardson over a Franchise LT. Not with AP on your team. If they do take somebody over Kalil it would be Claiborne, but I doubt it.

Browns almost have to take Richardson, he can start right now at RB for the Browns.

1.Luck

2.RG3

3.Kalil

4. Richardson

5. Claiborne

6. Blackmon

7.Kuechly...does get into top ten

8.Tannehill..Miami gets lucky

9.Cox

10. Gilmore....fills a big need. Buddy said he wouldn't reach but and I think its between Gilmore and Floyd. I want Floyd but I would smile if they called Gilmore's name also, both would start and make the team much better.

This is just a general ranking of players and not a Mock Draft. Does anyone really, I mean REALLY, think that the Vikings are taking Richardson @ #3 even though they have Adrian Peterson? C'mon now, let's be the slightest bit realistic here. I'm sure everyone's draft board is different, but I can garauntee that Minnesota isn't looking at RB's unless it's in a proposed draft and trade scenario.

Exactly. Not only that, it is a ranking of the best players right now, and draft picks, especially first rounders, are thought of by teams in the short, mid and long term. So a guy like Tannehill, who could be a franchise QB could rightfully be rated higher as a prospect by a team and go ahead of a player better than him right now.

I don't know if Tannehill is going to be good or not. I think he is going to go very early. I will say, however, that if he is available at 10, there is a very decent chance the Bills take him, and the only thing that matters in that decision is if Nix and the scouts and Gailey think he can be a franchise QB in a year or two. If they do, and I have no idea if they do, they will take him in a heartbeat regardless of what they think of Fitz and his contract and the need for an LT, WR, CB, etc.

no way Minny takes Richardson over a Franchise LT. Not with AP on your team. If they do take somebody over Kalil it would be Claiborne, but I doubt it.

He isn't saying minny is taking richarson, he is saying based on what has been released, nfl gms feel Richardson is the third best player in the draft. Polian even says he might be number one

The pre-draft "common knowledge" is what's hard to take seriously, especially this year when the first round talent seems so thin. What's happening now is that the curtain is being lifted a bit as teams finalize their boards--and a lot of what we thought we knew gets tuned upside down.

I'm a big fan of Pro Football Weekly and I was shocked to see that Nawrocki--based on considerable feedback from NFL teams--has guys that were formerly highly rated slipping way down the board. Jonathan Martin, who was almost always thought of as a day one pick, is now considered a low second rounder due to concerns about his strength. OTOH, Rueben Randle is is now viewed as a first round pick.

Smoke and mirrors? Maybe. But maybe the January-March plotline was even more so...

I read a draft article today that NFL teams wait till the week before the draft to set up their draft boards. So while some of the information is smokescreen BS, some of it isn't since there are always surprising risers and fallers in every draft. I doubt that either Kalil or Blackmon fall to the Bills though. If one of them did then some team would probably trade up before the tenth pick.

Edited by 1billsfan