FYI: OT Mike Adams tested positive at Combine

And proudly refusing to acknowledge the realities of the world around them.

I hope this wasn't directed at me. I stated my hopes for the future of professional sports, not my beliefs on how or why the NFL operates, nor what is likely to happen.

I understand that marijuana is illegal, and that is the primary reason why the NFL tests for it, and prohibits it. I completely understand the concern of many, who look at Mike Adams' positive test as a lapse in common sense. After all, it is pretty remarkable that he knew a test was coming during the biggest audition of his life, and still tested positive. That being said, I don't think it's absurd for posters to remark on how trifling these tests/laws may seem.

On Mike Adams - Two distinct off-field issues should raise red flags. I wonder how far he falls.

Edited by NickelCity

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this wasn't directed at me. I stated my hopes for the future of professional sports, not my beliefs on how or why the NFL operates, nor what is likely to happen.

I understand that marijuana is illegal, and that is the primary reason why the NFL tests for it, and prohibits it. I completely understand the concern of many, who look at Mike Adams' positive test as a lapse in common sense. After all, it is pretty remarkable that he knew a test was coming during the biggest audition of his life, and still tested positive. That being said, I don't think it's absurd for posters to remark on how trifling these tests/laws may seem.

On Mike Adams - Two distinct off-field issues should raise red flags. I wonder how far he falls.

No it wasn't directed at you.

I think the drug policy in this country is foolhardy and wasteful too, but the fact remains m.j. is illegal and tens of millions of people in this country want it that way. The NFL is successful because its fans feel connected to the players. That connection would suffer for many of those fans if they thought the league condoned criminal activity by the players. Simple as that.

You guys have to get off the weed...and I only mean that about Mike Adams.

Replace Weed with something else trifling like wearing an orange shirt. It doesn't matter that it is ridiculous. It was clearly defined to him (and I'm sure his agent made acutely aware of it and could have provided information and help with finding a different color shirt), but he ignored the edict to not wear an orange shirt and wore it anyway.

He was given an instruction by his future employer, "Don't show up wearing an orange shirt" and he couldn't follow it.

For my part, anyway, I'm not questioning whether it is a condition of employment in the NFL. I'm questioning why it is a condition of employment. And "because it's illegal" doesn't work for me, for the reasons I gave above.

EDIT: It's also not illegal everywhere.

Just in the USA. It's illegal under Federal law. Doesn't matter what state you're in.

Various feelings on the legality of Marijuana are irrelevant (I'm in favor of legalizing it. There's no solid research showing it's worse than alchohol or a 'gateway' drug).

It is currently illegal. The NFL does not like players doing illegal things regardless. It's a 'hot button' issue.

The concern this makes is that he was:

1. Arrogant that the rules didn't apply to him.

2. Stupid that he didn't think he'd get caught

3. Lacks self control to not smoke weed long enough for it to be out of his system by the time of the combine

It's like a company you're interviewing with that is planning to offer you millions tells you, "Don't wear an orange tie" and you wear an orange tie and they made it very clear that they literally meant what they said.

This.

because the players have a collectively bargained drug policy that they and the owners have agreed to?

Yes but I'll bet that the majority of the players would rather not be tested for marijuana.

Besides that it's a policy because the league and the owners want it that way while the players don't want to take a PR hit by using pot use as a bargaining chip in the CBAs.

The players would rather bargain for other things. Actually the best time to have eliminated pot from the list of tested substances would have been this last CBA when the players traded income growth in exchange for better working conditions.

But again, weed is not a good bargaining chip from a PR standpoint and the players won big concessions in their working schedules (shorter work year, fewer offseason activities, fewer practices in pads, etc) which is undoubtedly a higher priority for them.

I can't wait for the day when one of the major sports leagues says they'll stop testing for/prohibiting marijuana use. Hopefully it starts a trend. Ideally we'd see full on legalization, but I get more cynical as to whether it's possible as the years go by.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about prospects and weed. I know many players who - beyond being revered by fans and praised for their character - smoke (and smoked) weed regularly throughout their careers.

If anything, pot acceptance is going in the other direction… for the longest time the NBA did not include marijuana or any recreational drugs in their policy. They only tested for performance-enhancing drugs. It's only fairly recent history (1998?) that they started testing for pot.

Anyways, there were estimates before their new drug policy that 70% of NBA players used marijuana. Marijuana has a very medicinal and healing quality to it. It also heightens the self-awareness of one's own body. There are many legitimate medicinal and healing uses for marijuana, especially for a pro athlete, or a construction worker, or anyone who has a physically demanding job.

Anyways,

HAPPY 420 EVERYONE!!!

You'll be waiting a long time. It'll never happen as long marijuana is illegal.

The CT Joint Committee on Judiciary voted 35-8 in favor of the medical marijuana bill on Mar. 21, 2012; Now it will be voted on in the house of representatives

are you back yet, and why didn't you send out the "smoke" signals

Ha!....forgot which thread I posted that in!

Nice to see all the pot heads at TBD slowly crawling out of the wood work.

Anyone into crack?

Don't u know, CRACK kills. (in all seriousness, that stuff is bad news and wouldn't touch it for anything)

Now THIS would be a smokin' team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/040802

GO BILLS!!!

THAT was funny. .....even straight.

Anyways,

HAPPY 420 EVERYONE!!!

DAMN, forgot it was 420 too!

Knew I liked u for a reason San Jose'!....must be nice going to the local pharmacy in your neck of the woods!

Edited by EastRochBillsfan

Dang so many people who think pot is nothing. Well the neighbors down the street from me dont think that, since thier daughter was killed by pot dealing gang, and the neighborhood a block from me doesnt, with all thier houses basically worthless cause of a house in the neighborhood being converted into a pot growing place and ruining the property values. It's a multibillion dollar illegal business funding murderers and gangs all over the US. Saying its like J-Walking is just an insult to the people who have been affected by it.

Edited by rstencel

Dang so many people who think pot is nothing. Well the neighbors down the street from me dont think that, since thier daughter was killed by pot dealing gang, and the neighborhood a block from me doesnt, with all thier houses basically worthless cause of a house in the neighborhood being converted into a pot growing place and ruining the property values. It's a multibillion dollar illegal business funding murderers and gangs all over the US. Saying its like J-Walking is just an insult to the people who have been affected by it.

And if it was legalized then we wouldn't have this problem, would we? And just think of all the tax revenue it would create and the money saved in the justice system prosecuting this stuff. There are millions of people who believe it to be less harmfull than alcohol and i am one of them. i have NEVER heard of anyone killing someone driving under the influence of marijuana. U might be able to find a few instances. maybe its time to find a new neighborhood.

truly sorry to hear that.

This is one of the reasons it should be legalized. It take all the crime element out of it. I would gladly pay taxes on it. That way it gets the crime out of the hood.

Like i said there is a reason that its illegal. And the justice system benefits from it.

Its a mean game played by mean people.

I BELIEVE marijuana stays in the bloodstream for quite a while (more than a week??) so, he's young , not TOO smart and this really attractive girl hands him a joint and smiles at him......what's one puff huh baby?

o.k. - it was dumb but at least he admitted it yada yada yada

:blush:

:thumbsup:

ummmmm because it's illegal maybe?

but don;t yell at me, I am o.k with making it legal. I don;t smoke but I do like my bourbon......... :devil:

:thumbsup::beer::thumbsup:

Edited by Dat '315' Dude

I'm sorry that someone was killed, but pot had very little to do with it. It's just a plant for God's sake. Repeat to yourself, it's just a plant. It's just a plant.

Property values are down because everyone knows that a house in the neighborhood is growing pot? You must be joking, because if everybody knows, then why aren't they doing anything but complaining. Property values going down is more serious business than pot growing. You would think that if someone lost even, $2,000 property value, they would call the place in.

I think that pot problems are being confused with people problems. That's from someone who doesn't smoke pot.

For marijuana?! Why does the league care about marijuana? This is annoying.

"self control".....if a person doesn't have enough self control ....then maybe they dont study the playbook so hard...or don't control their weight.....etc.... or go on to commit more serious infractions....it's a huge red flag.