My Thoughts About

Disclaimer #1: Although I focus on blockers 10x more than the average person watching a football game, I am not trying to purport myself as an actual "expert."

Disclaimer #2: The only college team I spend a considerable amount of time watching is the Crimson Tide. I am basing the following comments ONLY on what I have seen on youtube. So, take them with a large grain of salt.

Now, the following comments are based upon Orlando Pace being the best LT I have ever seen in a lifetime of watching football. In other words, he is the model, perfect LT, or so I see it. And btw, my dear friend R.Rich thinks Ogden was better so there ya go. :)

1) Reiff

When Bulaga came out, I was on the phone with R.Rich telling him that Bulaga is a Right Tackle. Reiff, imo, is a potentially great GUARD. There are running plays where he even rolls out like one. He is game, and in good shape. Could he be a dominant LT? I suppose, but it's hard for me to see how. He uses his hands very well, but even with the wrestling background, I didn't see extrordinary agility. If he could play at a slightly above average level for 10 years, it would work out well for him, like it did for Jeff Backus. But again, I am missing where he will be a dominant LT.

2) Glenn:

If the Bills draft Glenn at 10, I will be supportive of the fact that they are finally devoting early draft resources to the OL. That said, I hope they steer clear of him. In college, huge, strong players such as Glenn, can at times dominate defenders. Mike Williams did. It's as if they engulf them. Not so easy in the NFL. Imo there had to be reasons why this kid was a guard until his senior season. I don't like his balance at all. And while he is strong enough to take down defenders from scrimage ala Pace, I can't see him being able to take it upfield (ala Pace). A frequent poster likened drafting Glenn to "swinging for the home run." He is correct. But there is a very long drop. I am not 100% convinced that Glenn will even be a very good RT. He looks like something of a plodder to me. And we already have 2 players (Pears and Hairston) who I think are more than enough for the RT position. I will go out on a limb and label Glenn a "poor man's Hairston."

3) Martin:

I am concerned that he benefitted from playing in front of a qb with a superb quick release (which Fitz has imo), and next to a top LG. And, I am not liking the 19 reps with 225. BUT, he is very agile. And his combine bench was more than twice what Bell did (19 vs. 9). I would like him to gain weight and get stronger. And I think that he can. The Stanford factor impresses me as well. He is a smart kid and hopefully will be easier to coach than Bell. Will he ever be as strong as Pace or Cordy Glenn? No. But his agility could elevate him to the status of Levi Lones (a #10 pick), or D'Brick imo. How bad is that?

So obviously, of the 3, my choice is Martin. Again, my opinion means little if anything, but I just thought that I would toss it out there.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post Bill! :thumbsup:

I have been waiting for someone who focuses on the OL more than I to compare the top 3 LT candidates. From watching some of the tapes, reading that Nix called him very good and reading scouting reports; I tend to think Martin is the 2nd rated LT on our board behind Kalil. From some reading I have done, Nix commented in the past on Adams as being someone who is huge that players will have to run around to get to the QB and is athletic as well. Do you have any opinions on him?

Thanks for the post! I am always very, very grateful for your informed opinions, as watching the O-line, or studying it, is a meticulous project. Anyway, I am not anything of an expert at projecting O-linemen. I do, however, have very good instincts when it comes to reading people, and reading between the lines, so to speak. I happen to have thought for a little while now that Nix prefers Martin to the others who will be available at 10. He is generally pretty honest, and although he doesn't go out and say what he plans on doing, he does tell it as he sees it, for the most part - and he has said there are something like 3 LT's who could come in and play. Kalil. The jury is out on Reiff, Martin, Glenn, and Adams, but from what I've read and seen of Nix talking on the matter, he seems to have been impressed by Martin.

I'm thinking he has another LT prospect from a smaller school in mind, for the mid rounds, as well.

I am basing the following comments ONLY on what I have seen on youtube.

Curious, were you watching highlight packages or entire games?

I've been carving out time to watch entire Georgia game video (I'm on the Outback Bowl vs. MSU right now) and focus on each snap. From what I've seen so far, I think Glenn's footwork is plenty good and he's shown good ability to get to the second level.

He looks less athletic than Reiff or Martin due to the extra 30-35 pounds he's packing versus them. But at the end of the play, his man was usually wiped out and he made it look effortless. If he got his weight down to 315 or so, he'd be more suited to handle the NFL speed, IMO.

I like Martin, too, due to his smarts. I just wonder if he has the capability to bulk up and maintain the weight as he seems like a natural 285 lb kind of guy. Don't like Reiff at LOT in our scheme at all.

Buddy likes size, smarts, versatility, size, experience against top competition, and size as his OL pedigree. Glenn just seems like Nix's kind of guy, even if he's not the prototypical LOT that a lot of teams look for.

Edited by Lurker

Disclaimer #1: Although I focus on blockers 10x more than the average person watching a football game, I am not trying to purport myself as an actual "expert."

Disclaimer #2: The only college team I spend a considerable amount of time watching is the Crimson Tide. I am basing the following comments ONLY on what I have seen on youtube. So, take them with a large grain of salt.

Now, the following comments are based upon Orlando Pace being the best LT I have ever seen in a lifetime of watching football. In other words, he is the model, perfect LT, or so I see it. And btw, my dear friend R.Rich thinks Ogden was better so there ya go. :)

1) Reiff

When Bulaga came out, I was on the phone with R.Rich telling him that Bulaga is a Right Tackle. Reiff, imo, is a potentially great GUARD. There are running plays where he even rolls out like one. He is game, and in good shape. Could he be a dominant LT? I suppose, but it's hard for me to see how. He uses his hands very well, but even with the wrestling background, I didn't see extrordinary agility. If he could play at a slightly above average level for 10 years, it would work out well for him, like it did for Jeff Backus. But again, I am missing where he will be a dominant LT.

2) Glenn:

If the Bills draft Glenn at 10, I will be supportive of the fact that they are finally devoting early draft resources to the OL. That said, I hope they steer clear of him. In college, huge, strong players such as Glenn, can at times dominate defenders. Mike Williams did. It's as if they engulf them. Not so easy in the NFL. Imo there had to be reasons why this kid was a guard until his senior season. I don't like his balance at all. And while he is strong enough to take down defenders from scrimage ala Pace, I can't see him being able to take it upfield (ala Pace). A frequent poster likened drafting Glenn to "swinging for the home run." He is correct. But there is a very long drop. I am not 100% convinced that Glenn will even be a very good RT. He looks like something of a plodder to me. And we already have 2 players (Pears and Hairston) who I think are more than enough for the RT position. I will go out on a limb and label Glenn a "poor man's Hairston."

3) Martin:

I am concerned that he benefitted from playing in front of a qb with a superb quick release (which Fitz has imo), and next to a top LG. And, I am not liking the 19 reps with 225. BUT, he is very agile. And his combine bench was more than twice what Bell did (19 vs. 9). I would like him to gain weight and get stronger. And I think that he can. The Stanford factor impresses me as well. He is a smart kid and hopefully will be easier to coach than Bell. Will he ever be as strong as Pace or Cordy Glenn? No. But his agility could elevate him to the status of Levi Lones (a #10 pick), or D'Brick imo. How bad is that?

So obviously, of the 3, my choice is Martin. Again, my opinion means little if anything, but I just thought that I would toss it out there.

Not bad. With regard to Glenn, he had one of the best 40 times at the combine for O-linemen and he gets to the 2nd level effortlessly from all the video I've seen so I would say he has excellent inline speed.

However as another poster noted, his short shuttle and 3-cone times were poor but I often wonder how much of that is due simply to not practicing for the combine drills.

Yes, I had compared Martin to D'Brick Ferguson a few weeks ago and I think it's a spot on comparison. Neither will every be a physically dominant player but Martin should become an excellent technician. And yes, Nix does seem to like him.

Great Post Bill! :thumbsup:

I have been waiting for someone who focuses on the OL more than I to compare the top 3 LT candidates. From watching some of the tapes, reading that Nix called him very good and reading scouting reports; I tend to think Martin is the 2nd rated LT on our board behind Kalil. From some reading I have done, Nix commented in the past on Adams as being someone who is huge that players will have to run around to get to the QB and is athletic as well. Do you have any opinions on him?

Adams looks like Lurch out there to me. There's numerous plays I've seen where he's reacting to an initial pass rush move and by the time he adjusts to the second move, the pass rusher is on his 3rd move. I know Nix said nice things about Adams too but I have serious doubts about the guy… at least as a first rounder.

RRich is right, Ogden > Pace. :D

But give me Anthony Munoz at LT & Erik Williams at RT, they are the 2 best I've ever seen,

with honorable mention to a healthy Tony Boselli.

I thought Ogden was better than Pace also. I also thought Walter Jones was better than Pace.

But we're splitting hairs here and for all anyone knows, it's way too close to call and maybe more a matter of personal preference.

1) Reiff

2) Glenn:

3) Martin:

Always love your humble opinions Bill. Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills, one man gathers what another man spills.

Great post... How would you rank matt kalil With relation to orlando pace's skills?

Kalil might be great, but Pace was probably stronger than him when he was 18. Roids? I don't know, but Pace would knock the same defensive end down twice on the same play. He afforded Kurt Warner ALL DAY to throw in the superbowl win. I can't stress "all day" enough. And he came from the (in those days) bruising running program of Ohio State. He was a flat out monster.

His career was shorter than others, but I for one never saw a LT who could dominate like he did. And Rico, I couldn't agree more about Erik Williams. Bob Brown played longer than him, but when he was healthy, Erik Williams was the best RT ever.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I've been carving out time to watch entire Georgia game video (I'm on the Outback Bowl vs. MSU right now) and focus on each snap. From what I've seen so far, I think Glenn's footwork is plenty good and he's shown good ability to get to the second level.

He looks less athletic than Reiff or Martin due to the extra 30-35 pounds he's packing versus them. But at the end of the play, his man was usually wiped out and he made it look effortless. If he got his weight down to 315 or so, he'd be more suited to handle the NFL speed, IMO.

I like Martin, too, due to his smarts. I just wonder if he has the capability to bulk up and maintain the weight as he seems like a natural 285 lb kind of guy. Don't like Reiff at LOT in our scheme at all.

Buddy likes size, smarts, versatility, size, experience against top competition, and size as his OL pedigree. Glenn just seems like Nix's kind of guy, even if he's not the prototypical LOT that a lot of teams look for.

Totally agree. Good post. It's impossible to tell obviously, but from all of the stuff seen, said, done, read, speculated on, I think that Buddy Nix is leaning toward Glenn or Floyd at #10.

Man I remember Erik Williams doing armed combat with Reggie White.

Talk about a battle of the Titans.

One game Reggie may have been injured and Williams was just beating him up… just blasting him with those long-range punches.

I actually felt sorry for Reggie on that occasion and Reggie was a Man's Man, a Great Warrior.

I thought Ogden was better than Pace also. I also thought Walter Jones was better than Pace.

But we're splitting hairs here and for all anyone knows, it's way too close to call and maybe more a matter of personal preference.

Imo, Walter Jones was the most agile LT I have ever seen. He wasn't as strong as Pace (not close), but he moved around with more dexterity than most TEs. Oddly, I see him as the perfect LT for the game today, which focuses more on passing.

Pace otoh would open holes at scrimage that a car could drive through, and then go wipe out some poor corner. And he was blocking for Faulk!

But you are 100% correct. It does come down to personal preference.

Adams looks like Lurch out there to me. There's numerous plays I've seen where he's reacting to an initial pass rush move and by the time he adjusts to the second move, the pass rusher is on his 3rd move. I know Nix said nice things about Adams too but I have serious doubts about the guy… at least as a first rounder.

I wasn't implying at #10 at all! Just wondering how big the perceived drop off is between him and Glenn or Martin (I really would be shocked if we chose Reiff). I haven't looked at Adams at all and am not an expert at looking at OL talent and projecting into the pros...

Always love your humble opinions Bill. Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills, one man gathers what another man spills.

LOL thanks my friend! I saw the boys on 4/7 in Wallingford, Ct., and they rocked the house. Next stop is Falls Church, VA for the John Kadlecik Band.

"Nobody told me there'd be days like these." :)

I am wondering if there is any chance Martin falls to the 2nd or late first in a trade up......

Depends on who's ratings you look at. ProFootBallWeekly thinks he'll be available in round 2 and, while they don't do a ton of their own scouting, they are very well connected with "league sources" and seem to know about where guys will be picked.

As usual excellent analysis.

With the exception of Kalil the three remaining LT prospects all have their flaws. I don't think any of the three are going to be all-pro type players. But so what? All three will be upgrades that will elevate the OL unit. From what I have read it seems that Reiff might be the safest pick with the least upside. He might be more ready to play immediately. Cordy Glenn is an intriguing prospect. I think before he can be inserted in meaningful playing time he will have to lose some weight. If he turns out to be ill-equipped from the quickness standpoint he can be moved to the interior or even right tackle spot. Martin is the best athlete of the bunch. The issue with him is how much stronger can he get? I think it is going to take a year or two before he gets to the point that he will be comfortable on the field.

If I had a guess I think Buddy is deciding between Martin and Glenn. I will be very comfortable with any of the selections. Don't be surprised if Buddy selects more than one OT in this draft.

Agreed 100% on Glenn...Thing is, I REALLY doubt he's going to be 345 for long in the NFL...He's a massive dude...A mauler...He'll be massive at 315-325, only quicker...I definitely think that extra 20-35 is slowing him down a bit...But he ran 5.15 at 345...So think how much quicker he'll be when he's in NFL shape...

I absolutely think Glenn is Buddy's kind of guy...Whether or not he thinks Glenn is worthy of #10 overall I'm not so sure...We'll see I guess... B-)

Depends on who's ratings you look at. ProFootBallWeekly thinks he'll be available in round 2 and, while they don't do a ton of their own scouting, they are very well connected with "league sources" and seem to know about where guys will be picked.

I'm thinking Martin is a Mid 2nd Round guy at best...He's got some issues...Not big and strong enough...Super smart...But he's kind of a tweener who is going to need at least a full year of NFL conditioning...I wonder if, down the road, he'll be better off moving inside to C... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS