Luke Kuechly discussion

Nix says he can play all three positions but I'd like him in the middle behind our two monster lineman so he never gets blocked. Let him call the plays and seldom blitz (leave that to Merriman if he doesn't have his hand on the ground replacing Kelsay) and Barnett or Moats). Keuchly would also be given the assignment of covering TE's - apparently he is o.k. at that.

"O.K. at that"?? Lol. He is considered one of the best cover LB's in years.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hindsight rules. anyone can go back and say they'd rather have JPP than Spiller. cool - but that doesn't represent the general consensus in April 2010.

in 2014, i think we'll rue the day we passed on kuechly (if that indeed happens). our LBs are not a strong unit - they're okay at best. we're being optimistic that morrison and shepp will work out, and it just go happens that kuechly is perfect value at #10. it could be a match made in heaven.

JPP in Buffalo Bills would be Maybin 2.0.

JPP was full of potential but needed to be the right system with that right coaching.

JPP over Spiller in hindsight, foresight, rearsight, or frontsight is a mistake for the Buffalo Bills.

Kuechly for the Buffalo Bills could fit in very well and be a great fit but really what are you getting over Sheppard? Is there a huge difference?

The people that think Yes. Will think Yes no matter what.

The people that think No are correct.

:nana:

So did Dareus by your logic he sucks too. Moats cant play the run, at all, has average pass rushing skills and is a former late round pick. I know hes a good likeable kid but he will have a tough time making this roster

All I was saying is that Sheppard is the least proven LB on the roster. At least the bills know that they have an average pass rusher in moats.. which is why I said he would be a DE if he stays on the team. Anyways, All I'm saying is that people shouldnt assume that if we draft Kuechly he will take over for Morrison. Morrison is absolutely more proven than Sheppard.

To you point about Dareus... I didnt say that sheppard sucks, so why would I be saying that Dareus does? If you're asking if I think Dareus has a lot of work to do to be a good run defender, than i would say yes he does. Sheppard and Dareus were both rookies last year and both of them still have room to improve significantly.

... Kuechly for the Buffalo Bills could fit in very well and be a great fit but really what are you getting over Sheppard? Is there a huge difference?

Is it your honest football opinion that there is no difference between Sheppard and Keuchly coming out of college?

GO BILLS!!!

JPP was full of potential but needed to be the right system with that right coaching.

JPP over Spiller in hindsight, foresight, rearsight, or frontsight is a mistake for the Buffalo Bills.

Kuechly for the Buffalo Bills could fit in very well and be a great fit but really what are you getting over Sheppard? Is there a huge difference?

People think Kuechly is better than Sheppard because he is faster, stronger, can jump higher, produced more in college, and is smarter. In my opinion, these attributes will make him a better player in every facet of the game. There is a reason he is going to be a top 15 pick and Sheppard was still available in round 2.

He wouldn't take Sheppard's place! He would likely take over Morrisons spot. It's not "Sheppard Vs. Kuechly". Wasn't it made clear a few hundred times on this board, and then DIRECTLY FROM NIX'S MOUTH, that Kuechly can play any of the 3 LB positions?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I dont understand all of the confidence in Sheppard. I like him and all but he hasn't done much to prove that he is going to be a good player in this league, let along secure a starting role. Everyone has him penciled in as a starter, but the truth is that he is the least proven linebacker on our roster.

Of course he is the least proven. A draft pick last year who did not have any off-season practices and then came in early in the season and played pretty well for a rookie. I think he improves a lot this year.

People think Kuechly is better than Sheppard because he is faster, stronger, can jump higher, produced more in college, and is smarter. In my opinion, these attributes will make him a better player in every facet of the game. There is a reason he is going to be a top 15 pick and Sheppard was still available in round 2.

Not to mention round 3.

GO BILLS!!!

Luke Kuechly College Butkus Award Winner 2011

This is the best player we could select at this position in

The draft and it's a position of need I love this football player

And he has buddy nix pick written all over him

It's a no brainer if this video does not convince you that he has it all, I do not know

What will. Man what a defense we will have if we get this player

I dont understand all of the confidence in Sheppard. I like him and all but he hasn't done much to prove that he is going to be a good player in this league, let along secure a starting role. Everyone has him penciled in as a starter, but the truth is that he is the least proven linebacker on our roster.

Ah; just a wild guess but could that be because he was a rookie last year???? I think everything about Sheppard will be better and faster this year. That's the kind of thing that usually happens in a player's second year. Buddy and Chan like this player and that's good enough for me.

If Buffalo selects Kuechly, my guess is that he will play the strong position. But this is really what I would like to see. I'd like to see them pick an OT or Gilmore in the first and follow that with Mychal Kendricks in the second. Kendricks, like Kuechly, is listed in the Inside Linebacker category but both can play outside according to experts. Kendricks is not the coverage LB that Kuechly is but he is a balls out thumper. He and Sheppard would be outstanding run stoppers in my opinion and Kendricks has pass rushing capabilities.

Ok, but keep in mind the following before casting judgment on Sheppard:

A. He was a rookie asked to play perhaps the most cerebral position in the NFL other than QB.

B. George Edwards was the coordinator of the cluster!@#$ that was the 2011 Buffalo Bills defense.

C. For most of the season, the defensive line in front of him consisted of another rookie, Dareus, plus a bunch of scrubs.

Don't forget that prior to training camp (which he had next to no reps in as well as no mini camp) he was told prior to season he'd be ILB in 3-4 and weighed almost 260. By end of season Wannstedt had him get down to around 240s and will probably report to camp around 238. He'll be a lot faster and instinctual with this time with the team and in a defense that isn't very complicated and very DL friendly, which in turn makes it look VERY LB friendly. If they take Kuechly, as good as he would look, remember the lines other LBs (Fletcher in particular) played behind before the usual "this guy is better than x" convos start...

Ah; just a wild guess but could that be because he was a rookie last year???? I think everything about Sheppard will be better and faster this year. That's the kind of thing that usually happens in a player's second year. Buddy and Chan like this player and that's good enough for me.

If Buffalo selects Kuechly, my guess is that he will play the strong position. But this is really what I would like to see. I'd like to see them pick an OT or Gilmore in the first and follow that with Mychal Kendricks in the second. Kendricks, like Kuechly, is listed in the Inside Linebacker category but both can play outside according to experts. Kendricks is not the coverage LB that Kuechly is but he is a balls out thumper. He and Sheppard would be outstanding run stoppers in my opinion and Kendricks has pass rushing capabilities.

I agree that it's because he was a rookie last year.. but that doesnt change the fact does it? I like Sheppard and I hope he does improve like you think he will. I just like Kuechly more.

Once again referencing what Kiper says about Kendricks; "Kendricks saw time at both inside and outside linebacker in the Cal defensive structure. He is a true striker, flying through the football to deliver quite a blow at impact. He has tremendous speed, clocking in the 4.4s at 240 lbs. so he comes into the draft as one of the fastest linebackers on the board. Kendricks will overpursue at times, but you have to admire his hustle and determination. This kid would run through a wall to make a stop. With his special teams experience he brings some versatility and tremendous athletic ability to a roster".

How does that sound for a 2nd. rd. pick?