Decastro at because no other picks would have his impact

Ok I know He's not as big a position of Need but I am not sold on any of the talent that may be available at 10. Decastro has the makings to being a special guard in this League...maybe even Elite.I don't feel comfortable saying that about the others. It is just my opinion of course but why not take a player who seems like a surefire starter from day one as opposed to those available at tacle and WR that may be good. To me Decastro is a stud lineman and will make our OLine and team better from day 1.....thoughts?

Edited by LVBillsBackr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what little I've read DeCastro is a stud. If I recall correctly Buddy has stated he can convert an under performing tackle to guard though. I don't believe he'll be the pick if available, but if he is wow our interior would be formidable. Plus there would be depth. Levitre at LG, Wood C, DeCastro (played LG in college? Hopefully can switch to RG without much of a problem). If Hairston or whoever we might draft later on for LT goes down, Levitre moves to LT, DeCastro to LG, Urbik back to starting RG.

We have bigger needs than drafting a guard in the first obviously but it's interesting to speculate what might be especially if we are fortunate to draft good talent in the middle rounds to complement the existing OL.

On an odd note last night I had a nightmare. Bills were on the clock, DeCastro was still available and I was panicking that the Bills might not pick him. Then I woke up and wondered what the fuss was about. He's not a huge position of need. But if he is taken and the Bills draft well rounds 2-7 then who knows?

This first round choice is a tough one. Still haven't decided on who I want.

From what little I've read DeCastro is a stud. If I recall correctly Buddy has stated he can convert an under performing tackle to guard though. I don't believe he'll be the pick if available, but if he is wow our interior would be formidable. Plus there would be depth. Levitre at LG, Wood C, DeCastro (played LG in college? Hopefully can switch to RG without much of a problem). If Hairston or whoever we might draft later on for LT goes down, Levitre moves to LT, DeCastro to LG, Urbik back to starting RG.

We have bigger needs than drafting a guard in the first obviously but it's interesting to speculate what might be especially if we are fortunate to draft good talent in the middle rounds to complement the existing OL.

On an odd note last night I had a nightmare. Bills were on the clock, DeCastro was still available and I was panicking that the Bills might not pick him. Then I woke up and wondered what the fuss was about. He's not a huge position of need. But if he is taken and the Bills draft well rounds 2-7 then who knows?

This first round choice is a tough one. Still haven't decided on who I want.

DeCastro's a right guard, Pilsner, who can also play center (i.e., provide depth - currently nonexistent - at center to rest Eric Wood, or relieve him in case re-injury). DeCastro handled all the snaps - about 200 - for Luck at Standord's Pro Day, played center in high school, and is considered by most pro teams scouting him to be versatile enough to play either position.

IMHO, guy's a can't miss pick - a future HOF RG and guaranteed All Pro from season one and for the next 10 seasons. Think Joe DeLamielleure and OJ Simpson, then imagine the holes DeCastro can blow open for CJ & Freddie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM3jPINC0WU

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

What can the Bills do on the field of play with Decastro at RG that they can't do with Urbik?

DeCastro would have almost no impact on the Bills in 2012, playing at the most easy position to find and fill in the NFl, RG.

I'm sure the guy will be a stalwart O-lineman overtime but unless they plan on letting Wood walk (which would be stupid) youre not getting an impact over a guy that you signed off of another team's practice squad.

Not a smart move. Roll the dice on player at a position that can make a difference. Don't play it that safe.

"Scared money, don't make money."

DeCastro's a right guard, Pilsner, who can also play center (i.e., provide depth - currently nonexistent - at center to rest Eric Wood, or relieve him in case re-injury). DeCastro handled all the snaps - about 200 - for Luck at Standord's Pro Day, played center in high school, and is considered by most pro teams scouting him to be versatile enough to play either position.

IMHO, guy's a can't miss pick - a future HOF RG and guaranteed All Pro from season one and for the next 10 seasons. Think Joe DeLamielleure and OJ Simpson, then imagine the holes DeCastro can blow open for CJ & Freddie...

youtube.com/watch?v=QM3jPINC0WU

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Watch that video and see hoe technically sound of a blocker that kid is. He can blast open holes for Freddy and Cj as well as pull on screens which we run alot of. I dont want to hear he wont have an impact cause thats bull

Ok I know He's not as big a position of Need but I am not sold on any of the talent that may be available at 10. Decastro has the makings to being a special guard in this League...maybe even Elite.I don't feel comfortable saying that about the others. It is just my opinion of course but why not take a player who seems like a surefire starter from day one as opposed to those available at tacle and WR that may be good. To me Decastro is a stud lineman and will make our OLine and team better from day 1.....thoughts?

Hopefully, the Bills FO has lower standards than you and can identify several talented players they are "sold" on so that they can choose whoever they think is best, who is still available (hint: it never falls as the draft pundits prognosticate).

Buddy Nix typically says what he means and means what he says. When he says they draft tackles, or guys who can play tackle because they can always move them inside, he means it.

Decastro will not be the guy.

Funny how you think a RIGHT GUARD would be the guy to make the most "impact." Solely based on what? That he would play right away? There are plenty of players that will be available at 10 that would play right away. Michael Floyd would play right away and make an immediate impact on a WR corps with only one proven player. Kuechly would play right away and make an impact on a unit that, again, has only one proven multiple year starter.

So your Decastro argument could be made about a number of guys who could be available at 10. Which makes it no argument at all.

Just surprising that you would pick a guard when you are set in the middle. Tackle...yes, guard...no!

What can the Bills do on the field of play with Decastro at RG that they can't do with Urbik?

DeCastro would have almost no impact on the Bills in 2012, playing at the most easy position to find and fill in the NFl, RG.

I'm sure the guy will be a stalwart O-lineman overtime but unless they plan on letting Wood walk (which would be stupid) youre not getting an impact over a guy that you signed off of another team's practice squad.

Not a smart move. Roll the dice on player at a position that can make a difference. Don't play it that safe.

"Scared money, don't make money."

Well that's one argument - not without merit - but maybe one that overlooks how thin the Bills quickly became at every OL position last season when Bell, Hairston, Urbik, Levitre, Wood, etc., etc. all missed games to due injury.

Another point of view says that teams improve overall by improving at every position, and that if there's a guy that's a year-one starter and a likely Pro Bowl caliber player for the next 10 seasons, you don't reach for a positional player of lesser talent just to fill a perceived need.

Still another point of view says...

Kraig Urbik - Career Stats

Drafted 2009

Games played-20

Games stated- 12

Pro Bowls - 0

Eric Wood - Career Stats

Drafted 2009

Games played-33

Games stated- 33

Pro Bowls - 0

...that it's a bit short-sighted to think that an All Pro RG like DeCastro doesn't vastly improve both the Bills rushing offense AND pass protection.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-015965400 1334235830_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

...that it's a bit short-sighted to think that an All Pro RG like DeCastro doesn't vastly improve both the Bills rushing offense AND pass protection.

But this is exactly how the Bills got themselves into trouble over the last decade. Besides the obvious of being bad evaluators of college talent, the team has drafted in spots where the incumbents were pretty decent and didn't address more pressing needs. DeCastro may be the BPA at No. 10 by far, but the other primary needs OT, CB, WR, LB dwarf the rationale for picking another interior lineman that high up.

Fleener would have a huge impact on the offense.

:thumbsup: Like this the best at the moment. I really don't see BN going for Floyd (even though I would be okay with it or Kructity (sp?) who I would also consider BPAs at need).

BPA but with position of need in mind, he keeps saying it and I think he will do that. Tackles can be had rd 2 - 7, I hope they draft 2 like they have said they will. I also want an OLB (or a ILB who can play outside, IMO a Hightower type, would fit the bill) and a CB everything else on top of those would be late rounds and really BPAs and development players. I trust this FO so much more than in the past now that I am not thinking they will blow this draft at all, so I am not even looking into it so much this year. In Buddy I trust at the moment :ph34r:

I also am on board with our rg and think Brown is a monster who they will have play T,G,and C plus I don't doubt they draft some competitive back ups. A line that gels is the sum of time playing together a new guard just doesn't fit that (with a high draft choice anyway) IMO.

Edited by bowery4

I think G is the one position we are set at including depth. Rhinehart performed well in spot duty and I have zero complaints about Urbik or Levitre. Urbik also did well sliding over to C when wood went down.

Secondly, can we stop this 10 year and were set garbage please? How many players in this league make it 10 years? How many busts are there each year in the draft? It is getting ridiculous that a RG in some people's mind already has made the Hall of Fame. BEFORE PLAYING A SINGLE SNAP! No one not Andrew Luck not RG3 is a guaranteed hall of famer let alone pro bowler. The hyperbole is incredible at times and discounts arguments. If you want to tell me DeCastro is technically sound (as some have) fine. If you want to tell me he is the safest bet I will argue that point as no one ever knows who the safest bet is. Aaron Curry a couple of years ago was the safest pick as was Robert Gallery and they were both busts. If you want to tell me he is a guaranteed anything I will disagree. There are no guarantees in the NFL Draft.

/rant... and i'm sorry for yelling :P

guaranteed All Pro from season one and for the next 10 seasons

it's a bit short-sighted to think that an All Pro RG like DeCastro

What are you basing your All Pro guarantee on, the 3 minute YouTube clip or the 3 sentence blurb from Kiper? You're beyond delusional if you think some kid from the Pac-10 is going to step in and perform better than Carl Nicks.

When's the last time you heard someone (anyone in the history of football) say "Man, if we only had a right guard we could make a run at the Superbowl"?

There's greater value in drafting an OT than a pure OG. As Buddy says, if the guy excells at tackle, you've hit a home run. If he can't handle the edge, he can be shifted inside and will at worst be a very good to excellent guard.

Personally, I'd rather have a guy that can play 3-4 spots on the O-line at a high level than one that can only play two.