Okay, talk me out of Gilmore in the 1st.

After Martin's Pro Day and questions about Floyd's character, I'm starting to think Gilmore fits a need, and has the best chance of being the safest pick for the future, and for this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing downsides to Gilmore this year and in the future. Seems there will be a lot of possibilities in round 2 for an OT and lots of possibilities all the way through McNutt at WR. Somebody talk me out of it!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Martin's Pro Day and questions about Floyd's character, I'm starting to think Gilmore fits a need, and has the best chance of being the safest pick for the future, and for this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing downsides to Gilmore this year and in the future. Seems there will be a lot of possibilities in round 2 for an OT and lots of possibilities all the way through McNutt at WR. Somebody talk me out of it!

I can't. Unless Ingram is there at #10 and the staff thinks he fits.

Gilmore is a baller.

Won't. As leery as I am about another McKelvin I don't think anyone will contend that it is a position of need and since I'm not sold on Martin or think that we can't fill the Z-receiver from our own ranks or in a later round I would be for it.

I'm not talking you out of Gilmore. I was one of the first to give him props when DraftTek's computer dialed him up for the Bills' then 42nd pick. I said then,

The savvy, hard-hitting Gilmore is an excellent pick, one that might just trump Aaron Williams’ RD2 selection last year. Compared with Williams, Gilmore has more height (he’s 6’2” to Williams’ generous 6’0”), better speed (4.40 to 4.56), better blitz skills, and similar change of direction (3.94 shuttle to 4.07, and 6.61 to 6.72 in the 3-cone). This speedy duo of aggressive cornerbacks would rival most NFL teams, and under McGee’s tutelage, Williams-Gilmore could rival the Bills’ all-time CB tandems. As a returner, Gilmore would also be taught by McGee, with his NFL’s third-highest-yards-per-return. Say goodbye to Leodis, Corner (a FA anyway), and possibly even DrayFlo if this is the pick here.

I am not opposed to Gilmore or Kirkpatrick as a CB at #10.

However, read this report on Floyd and character concerns From the AP.

I am not hijacking the thread...just want to make sure a lot of people see this on Floyd...

Can anyone honestly say when they were underage they didn't get drunk at least once? If so you're in the vast minority. In college I would love to see the actual statistic on this. By no means do I condone anything moronic behind the wheel of a vehicle. That said if Floyd hacked some ones arms off with an axe, I would be concerned. He sounds like a honor student compared to Marshawn Blunt.

What's all this praise with Williams? Every game I watched last year he got burnt or blew his coverage. CB is def a big position of need and if that's where they go first round so be it

yea, that's just false. he's got a ridiculous amount of natural ability.

Easy, since when has a corner ever been a make or break position? On the other hand, how often do top receivers propel QB's? Gilmore shouldn't even be a consideration at 10. We took a corner at 10 a few years ago who was supposed to be much safer than Gilmore and was the top DB in the draft. How did that turn out for us? Draft WR.

There's really no logical downside to Gilmore-- he might actually be the safest pick at #10, if he even slides that far. What he seems to represent, though, through no fault of his own, is a trend that's grown tired at One Bill's Drive: drafting talented, highly-productive defensive backs in the first round that fail to change the identity of the defense. Everyone knows that this took place under the old regime(s), but I speak for more than just myself when I say that I know what it's like to have a talented defensive backfield, and it never seemed enough to change the defensive culture, let alone the culture of the entire team. Talent among the front seven on defense, or along the offensive line, isn't more important than the defensive backfield, but it's novel, and would represent a significant change in direction from the previous era.

I think that's what inflects people's perception on free agency and the draft. They want to believe that something is changing, and a deep, penetrating defensive line, aggressive, talented LBs, and a strong offensive line all provide the appearance of change much more dramatically than another top-flight defensive back.

I'm not saying this is the right approach to take-- and it's NO reason not to draft Gilmore, but it might be a reason why some are shying away from him, and hoping for guys like Kuchely, Ingram, Upshaw, or the best available LT. We've been in this hole for a long time, and we want to believe our path for climbing out of it isn't the same path that's failed us before.

There's really no logical downside to Gilmore-- he might actually be the safest pick at #10, if he even slides that far. What he seems to represent, though, through no fault of his own, is a trend that's grown tired at One Bill's Drive: drafting talented, highly-productive defensive backs in the first round that fail to change the identity of the defense. Everyone knows that this took place under the old regime(s), but I speak for more than just myself when I say that I know what it's like to have a talented defensive backfield, and it never seemed enough to change the defensive culture, let alone the culture of the entire team. Talent among the front seven on defense, or along the offensive line, isn't more important than the defensive backfield, but it's novel, and would represent a significant change in direction from the previous era.

I think that's what inflects people's perception on free agency and the draft. They want to believe that something is changing, and a deep, penetrating defensive line, aggressive, talented LBs, and a strong offensive line all provide the appearance of change much more dramatically than another top-flight defensive back.

I'm not saying this is the right approach to take-- and it's NO reason not to draft Gilmore, but it might be a reason why some are shying away from him, and hoping for guys like Kuchely, Ingram, Upshaw, or the best available LT. We've been in this hole for a long time, and we want to believe our path for climbing out of it isn't the same path that's failed us before.

+1. McKelvin is causing some hesitation, but I remember drafting Price and Evans in the first round and while good they round themselves replaced by lower draft picks. Yet people have not ruled out a WR as a first round pick.

here's a legit reason for the OP. The reigning super bowl champs had their best CB go down in pre-season. their rookie 1st round CB was hurt early on and barely made an impact last year. did it matter? hardly. because their pass rush is so damn good, that it can make average DBs look incredible. I'm cool with the group of Williams, Florence, McGee, McLovin, Rogers. it's not an awful unit by any stretch. not to mention the fact that our starting safeties are a top 3 pair.

our WR's are worse IMO. Fitz has that shiny new contract. give him another weapon.

I'll try and talk you out of Gilmore.

Before he ran a 4.4 forty yard dash, everyone was staying that he couldn't stay with receivers on deep routes or double moves. I don't care what is forty yard dash time is, he still can't stay with receivers down field. He's not a good cover corner, period. He's more of a free-lancing player that plays well in zone schemes. He might be a very good safety in the NFL. Dre Kirkpatrick simply was not tested enough in college. Sure, he shut down Ruben Randel but that's not exactly a huge feat. The best corner on the board, on a talent level, will be Janoris Jenkins. Jenkins blanketed guys like Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery, and AJ Green when he was a FRESHMAN at Florida. He's continued to get better at North Alabama and his film is amazing. He has character concerns. He got kicked off of Florida's team, so that is definitely a downer. However, all the guy did was smoke weed and get in a couple fights. If I'm Buddy Nix at number ten, I would do one of two things: 1) Trade Down and draft Mike Adams from Ohio State or 2) Draft Janoris Jenkins because he is the only guy talented enough to draft at 10.

here's a legit reason for the OP. The reigning super bowl champs had their best CB go down in pre-season. their rookie 1st round CB was hurt early on and barely made an impact last year. did it matter? hardly. because their pass rush is so damn good, that it can make average DBs look incredible. I'm cool with the group of Williams, Florence, McGee, McLovin, Rogers. it's not an awful unit by any stretch. not to mention the fact that our starting safeties are a top 3 pair.

our WR's are worse IMO. Fitz has that shiny new contract. give him another weapon.

Goog pass rush makes 4th rounders look like Deion. And I'm not ready to give up on McKelvin.

What if I told you you could get that shiny new WR (Mohamed Sanu) AND have Gilmore? Would you do it? A "quality" weapon WILL be there in the 2nd round.

I don't know if the Bills pass rush will be NY GIANT good, but it'll be good......now, couple Williams with Gilmore?!?!

That's cookin' with gas, bigdog!