My question on OT Martin.....while he needs some strength

While the bench is helpful, the biggest thing that helps any offensive lineman is his legs/hips. That's where the power is going to be to sit back in your seat in pass pro and burrow a guy out or reach block him as a run blocker. The bench only helps at the end at times, when you are "Forklifting" at the end of a run to help pancake them. If a lineman has wrestling in their background, their hips especially will help them more than the arm strength.

Glenn has tree limbs for arms and he's as strong as an ox. He's huge. Martin looks like a little boy next to Glenn.

I think that Martin will be a bust as a LT. He just isn't big or strong enough. Maybe he'll find success as a finesse guy in a Denver type zone scheme, but not as a prototype NFL LT.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a video of Glenn playing guard against South Carolina which wasn't particularly impressive but then I saw video of him playing LT against LSU and their All-SEC, All-American speed rusher Sam Montgomery.

Glenn was very impressive against LSU, in spite of being beaten once by Montgomery on a speed rush. After that he adjusted and totally dominated Montgomery. Eventually LSU rushed Montgomery from the other side.

Glenn also made 3 diving blocks on blitzes where the LB (once) and DBs (twice) were lined up in the 9 gap (wide). His athleticism making those blocks was pretty incredible.

Glenn looks a lot like Jason Peters… he wears number 71, and is similar sized at 6'5" and 345 pounds… a slightly bigger version with the same proportions and build.

From the 100 or so snaps I watched over the two games, Glenn is a nasty, mean, bastard who plays to the whistle. He looks to have very long arms and excellent athleticism… good kick step and ability to mirror, uses his hands well. He gets to the second level very quickly and has good vision and instincts. He's a mauler in the run game.

Glenn has become my favorite tackle prospect from this year's group and I'd have no problem if the Bills took him at #10. He looks like he can become a decade-long cornerstone on the O-line.

I just watched Georgia's game against Boise State and Glenn did not look good however:

The Boise State game was week one. The South Carolina game was week two.

The LSU game was the SEC Championship game.

Glenn looks like he lost a lot of weight over those 12 games and was playing with energy, confidence and nastiness at season's end.

I think maybe the reason this guy isn't as highly rated as some of the other tackles is because he bloomed during the season and was off radar screens.

I'm gonna see if I can find some of his video from the Outback Bowl against Michigan State.

One area where I fundamentally disagree with you is the notion where just prior to the draft prospects shoot up or down the board. Most teams have their boards established fairly early with some tweaking and clarifications made as the draft approaches. What really counts are the game tapes. The combine scores (speed, jumping ability etc) don't factor in the evaluation as much as people think. Although the prospects are groomed for the interview it is still useful because you can get some insights into the player's personality and intelligence.

Excellent post. I heard a radio interview a few years back with Bill Polian where he said the same thing. He stated that the only place players shoot up or down draft boards (by a few rounds) are in the minds of "mock drafters." He said that NFL teams have their board pretty well set, and things like pro days, the combine, etc might cause a player to move up or down a few spots, but no more. Teams have a good gauge on players. there's no extreme "jumps" on the draft board for NFL teams.

Just because fans and idiot mock drafters never heard of some one until january or february of their senior season doesn't mean that the NFL types havent been scouting them for a long time.

Edited by Ramius

Excellent post. I heard a radio interview a few years back with Bill Polian where he said the same thing. He stated that the only place players shoot up or down draft boards (by a few rounds) are in the minds of "mock drafters." He said that NFL teams have their board pretty well set, and things like pro days, the combine, etc might cause a player to move up or down a few spots, but no more. Teams have a good gauge on players. there's no extreme "jumps" on the draft board for NFL teams.

Just because fans and idiot mock drafters never heard of some one until january or february of their senior season doesn't mean that the NFL types havent been scouting them for a long time.

I guess it depends on what the definition of moving up and down the charts, if you're talking about a full round or two, sure. If you're talking 10-15 slots in the first round I think there is still a lot of movement all through the pro days and individual interviews and workouts and when ALL of the scouting has been done and the scouts get in the room with the GM and coaches and put the final board together.

I know I've got to change my mock draft in saying this, but I truly believe Cordy Glenn is going to be the Bills pick. Over Martin.

Really... why would the Bills take the 2nd best guard at Pick #10?

Then why is God's name did Darius Hewyard-Bey go #7 overall?

Edited by BuckeyeBill

Really... why would the Bills take the 2nd best guard at Pick #10?

He'd be drafted to play LT, where he played his senior season and was named first team All-SEC

Then why is God's name did Darius Hewyard-Bey go #7 overall?

Al Davis.

Jonathan Martin reminds me a lot of D' Brickashaw Ferguson… which is obviously a compliment.

He's more of a finesse tackle with great technique and smarts, but isn't overly physical.

I think he'll be a fine player but maybe not a real compelling one.

Cordy Glenn on the other hand would be more like a Korey Stringer-type player.

He'll likely mature and lose weight but still be the masher, mauler, wrecker-type player who physically beats you up all game long. He needs to refine his game a bit but is naturally gifted.

Glenn has tree limbs for arms and he's as strong as an ox. He's huge. Martin looks like a little boy next to Glenn.

I think that Martin will be a bust as a LT. He just isn't big or strong enough. Maybe he'll find success as a finesse guy in a Denver type zone scheme, but not as a prototype NFL LT.

By that standard, Big Mike Williams is a Hall of Famer. I suggest the Bills focus on whether a guy can play football, not whether he can lift weights or run fast in shorts.

Now, if the Bills pass on Martin, it will not be because of 19 reps. Does he have bad game day tape?

By that standard, Big Mike Williams is a Hall of Famer. I suggest the Bills focus on whether a guy can play football, not whether he can lift weights or run fast in shorts.

Now, if the Bills pass on Martin, it will not be because of 19 reps. Does he have bad game day tape?

Mike Williams did not like playing football, period. By all accounts, Glenn loves football and loves to hit people, hard. However the more I've been reading lately, it seems like the Bills picking Glenn at #10 will be a longshot.

I'm not sold on any player or position at #10 yet, but if I were Fitzpatrick and the Bills were taking a LT prospect, without hesitation I'd take Glenn over either Reiff or Martin.

It's not a two way street. You can weed a guy out for not having all the physical tools he needs to succeed. But just because a guy has those tools doesn't mean he will succeed.

I wouldn't take an offensive lineman 10th overall if he can't do more than 19 reps. A red flag like that can, and should, lower the position at which he gets taken.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Jonathan Martin reminds me a lot of D' Brickashaw Ferguson… which is obviously a compliment.

He's more of a finesse tackle with great technique and smarts, but isn't overly physical.

I think he'll be a fine player but maybe not a real compelling one.

Cordy Glenn on the other hand would be more like a Korey Stringer-type player.

He'll likely mature and lose weight but still be the masher, mauler, wrecker-type player who physically beats you up all game long. He needs to refine his game a bit but is naturally gifted.

Don't you have any issues at all with the fact that he played guard in college? I guess one could say moving from OG to OT worked for Branden Albert, but who knows? He might have been a hall of fame OG. Other than Albert, it's hard for me to recall college guards moving to OT in the NFL. It's easy to remember players moving from college OTs to NFL OGs. Ruben Brown and Andy Levitre come to mind, and there are MANY more.

Don't you have any issues at all with the fact that he played guard in college? I guess one could say moving from OG to OT worked for Branden Albert, but who knows? He might have been a hall of fame OG. Other than Albert, it's hard for me to recall college guards moving to OT in the NFL. It's easy to remember players moving from college OTs to NFL OGs. Ruben Brown and Andy Levitre come to mind, and there are MANY more.

Glenn played OT at georgia, just not his entire career. He played Ot for a handful of games his sophomore year, and then played OT in his senior season.

Glenn played OT at georgia, just not his entire career. He played Ot for a handful of games his sophomore year, and then played OT in his senior season.

In addition, I felt he shined in the video I watched of his performance against LSU.

IMO he clearly has the ability to play LOT.

Personally I would take Cordy Glenn ahead of Reiff.

He can also be seen playing LT on this video vs GT #71:

youtube.com/watch?v=3TqsdLRzk2g

Also Glenn vs. MSU:

youtube.com/watch?v=BnANZOBirDg

Thanks CB. I had seen the MSU video just yesterday I think.

Good thinking to spy him out in any Orson Charles video.

Thanks. My opinion of him remains the same as before.

I think if he drops some weight and continues the work ethic he showed in 2011 that he can excel.

So much raw talent.

I just watched Georgia's game against Boise State and Glenn did not look good however:

The Boise State game was week one. The South Carolina game was week two.

The LSU game was the SEC Championship game.

Glenn looks like he lost a lot of weight over those 12 games and was playing with energy, confidence and nastiness at season's end.

I think maybe the reason this guy isn't as highly rated as some of the other tackles is because he bloomed during the season and was off radar screens.

I'm gonna see if I can find some of his video from the Outback Bowl against Michigan State.

That film vs. LSU was impressive...That's a hell of a good Defense and some great prospects he was going against...he made it look easy at times...Showed great balance...Kept his feet under him...That game showed he belongs with the big boys did it not?...Those dive blocks...at that size? That was pretty impressive...I'm like you...The idea of this kid is growing on me by the minute...And I agree he got better as the Season went on...That fact did not get by the Associated Press or The SEC Coaches who both made him 1st Team All-SEC...After watching more and more of Glenn I'm warming up to taking him at #10 overall...To me he is clearly a better option than Reiff, Martin, or Adams...I don't think it's even close...

This is where it gets interesting...One would think The Bills will be looking to Trade Down if it's Glenn...But I'm betting after watching enough SEC Film Buddy is going to be convinced Glenn won't slide too far into Round #1...We'll see I guess... B-)

IMO he clearly has the ability to play LOT.

Personally I would take Cordy Glenn ahead of Reiff.

Totally 100% agree!

Glenn is just blooming as a Player and an athlete...That kid is massive and he's REAL light on his feet considering...He played one year at LT, but there's no reason he can't develop into a REAL good one...With NFL Coaching and conditioning we're talking about a potential monster here...Almost 6-6 and over 340 lbs. and he runs a 5.15...Great feet, good balance...He seems like a good humble person as well in interviews...I think the sky is the limit for this kid...To me he's as good a prospect as Anthony Davis was a few years ago...And Glenn went against WAY tougher competition in College...Davis went #11 Overall and has started at LT for the 49ers ever since...Don't see why Glenn can't do the same...

I've been saying all along if The Bills take an OT at #10 it's got to be a kid they feel can beat out Hairston...I think Glenn has a chance...Reiff?...No way...

Glenn Combine

• 3 weeks later...