My question on OT Martin.....while he needs some strength

yes somebody thinks Martin won't turn into a quality starter.

When Martin arrive at Palo Alto in 2008 from Harvard-Westlake School in Studio City, he weighed 261 pounds, too skinny to push anyone around.

Says Shaw, "We had to get him to be a more physical blocker." First, Martin had to beef up. As a redshirt freshman, he bet center Sam Schwartzstein a steak dinner that he could reach 270 faster. (Martin won and later added 42 pounds.)

The last time Cordy Glenn weighed 261 he probably wasn't shaving yet. Martin appears to not be naturally "NFL big," so it will always be a battle for him to maintain his weight/strength.

Nawrocki analysis:

“I don’t think he has left tackle feet, and I don’t think he has right tackle power,” Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki said during a conference call. “So when you boil it down, coming into the league next year, I think he’s an ideal swing backup, your third tackle. To me, the value on that position is really in the fourth round. That’s where you’d like to get a player like that, [but] because of the need for a tackle, I think there’s a good chance he’ll get looks in the second round. It wouldn’t even surprise me if he were drafted late in the first, given the run on that position every year.

“In another year, he could be OK. I think he’s gotta redshirt in the NFL essentially and really buy into a strength program and get a lot stronger. He wasn’t ready to come out [of college], and it could prove to be the right decision for where he’s gonna get drafted. But I think when you’re talking about matching up against [the elite defensive linemen] of the NFL, he’s gonna have a very difficult time handling that type of physicality.”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Martin arrive at Palo Alto in 2008 from Harvard-Westlake School in Studio City, he weighed 261 pounds, too skinny to push anyone around.

Says Shaw, "We had to get him to be a more physical blocker." First, Martin had to beef up. As a redshirt freshman, he bet center Sam Schwartzstein a steak dinner that he could reach 270 faster. (Martin won and later added 42 pounds.)

The last time Cordy Glenn weighed 261 he probably wasn't shaving yet. Martin appears to not be naturally "NFL big," so it will always be a battle for him to maintain his weight/strength.

Nawrocki analysis:

“I don’t think he has left tackle feet, and I don’t think he has right tackle power,” Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki said during a conference call. “So when you boil it down, coming into the league next year, I think he’s an ideal swing backup, your third tackle. To me, the value on that position is really in the fourth round. That’s where you’d like to get a player like that, [but] because of the need for a tackle, I think there’s a good chance he’ll get looks in the second round. It wouldn’t even surprise me if he were drafted late in the first, given the run on that position every year.

“In another year, he could be OK. I think he’s gotta redshirt in the NFL essentially and really buy into a strength program and get a lot stronger. He wasn’t ready to come out [of college], and it could prove to be the right decision for where he’s gonna get drafted. But I think when you’re talking about matching up against [the elite defensive linemen] of the NFL, he’s gonna have a very difficult time handling that type of physicality.”

I wonder if they drafted him to replace Long after this year?