New Rule Changes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodie. My biggest complaint has always been that NFL games aren't long enough. Next year hopefully they'll expand it to reviewing all first downs. And holding penalties.

Edited by KD in CT

A proposal outlawing the horse-collar tackle made on quarterbacks in the pocket did not pass, either. McKay said the ownership "didn't think this can impact... player safety."

Translation: "We looked at the tapes and Tom Brady almost never gets horse-collared, so there is no need for a new rule"

Edited by The Avenger

Thanks for the update. I like it. I also like the idea of moving the trade deadline back. Wonder why they passed on the Bills proposal. It makes sense. Why are the people making the initial call reviewing the call. That's not the way it happens in the legal system. Too much time for a booth review? I'm not sure that's valid either. Oh well.

Translation: "We looked at the tapes and Tom Brady almost never gets horse-collared, so there is no need for a new rule"

hahahaah

My guess is they all thought it was a great idea but then saw that the Bills came up with it and pushed it to the side...

Everyone is angry we got Williams and will win the Super Bowl in the next 5 years!!!!!

As a caveat, ALL turnovers now will receive a review like TDs, so coaches won't need to challenge.

True. I guess they solved that problem.

Thanks for the update. I like it. I also like the idea of moving the trade deadline back. Wonder why they passed on the Bills proposal. It makes sense. Why are the people making the initial call reviewing the call. That's not the way it happens in the legal system. Too much time for a booth review? I'm not sure that's valid either. Oh well.

hahahaah

Everyone is angry we got Williams and will win the Super Bowl in the next 5 years!!!!!

I'm just hoping our boys live up to the standards we're placing on them because me personally, I'm expecting a average/above average defense this year.

Oh goodie. My biggest complaint has always been that NFL games aren't long enough. Next year hopefully they'll expand it to reviewing all first downs. And holding penalties.

I actually thought the nfl did a great job this last year reviewing the touchdowns very quickly, and it didn't seem to really take any longer except for the few touchdowns that would have been reviewed anyway, I have no problem with this rule. Worst case scenario it adds MAYBE 20 minutes if you have a game that has a bunch of turnovers. I've taken longer *****, I think I can deal with that. :)

Ok, so I guess red flag challenges will be limited to catch/no-catch and spotting of the ball. Good news if you ask me. As for length of games -- I guarantee I've never uttered the phrase, "I hope this football game ends soon so I can switch over to an episode of My 600-lb Life." There's no such thing as too much football.

Interesting. I wonder if any case was made for why the replay proposal was rejected, or if it was just an up-or-down vote.

Networks probably said no because it would result in fewer commercials. Now they can just say," this replay review sponsored by....". It would take a few seconds for someone watching on a big screen to either confirm or reverse a call on the field.

Ok, so I guess red flag challenges will be limited to catch/no-catch and spotting of the ball. Good news if you ask me. As for length of games -- I guarantee I've never uttered the phrase, "I hope this football game ends soon so I can switch over to an episode of My 600-lb Life." There's no such thing as too much football.

The amount of 'football' doesn't change. The amount of time spent watching commericals or a triple-split screen with 3 guys standing around waiting for a booth review is what increases.

p.s. there are alternatives to television after the game ends.

Networks probably said no because it would result in fewer commercials. Now they can just say," this replay review sponsored by....". It would take a few seconds for someone watching on a big screen to either confirm or reverse a call on the field.

So weird, especially since the NHL and MLB both send replays to be reviewed not "upstairs", but in the freaking league headquarters in Toronto and NYC. I'll admit, I don't mind so much about the delay during reviews while I'm watching at home. On some of them it's kind of fun to watch the replays too and argue with friends over what the call should be.

Ok, so I guess red flag challenges will be limited to catch/no-catch and spotting of the ball.

Also anything that was ruled a non-score or non-turnover on the field, but the coach thinks it should have been called a score or turnover. Which is the main thing I don't like about either rule.

Good news if you ask me. As for length of games -- I guarantee I've never uttered the phrase, "I hope this football game ends soon so I can switch over to an episode of My 600-lb Life." There's no such thing as too much football.

But there is such a thing as too much standing around waiting for football to resume. Overtime = more football = good. More reviews = more commercial breaks and shots of the ref in the hood = bad.

The amount of 'football' doesn't change. The amount of time spent watching commericals or a triple-split screen with 3 guys standing around waiting for a booth review is what increases.

p.s. there are alternatives to television after the game ends.

And there you go, taking me literally. My point is only that adding another 10-15 minutes to the length of games isn't that big of a deal.

The overtime rules SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN changed in the first place, for postseason or regular season. The sudden death overtime rules were fine. I think it was very close to 50/50 on who won the game, receiving team or kicking team.

Plus defense is just as important as offense, so if your defense can't stop the offense from getting in field goal range, then you should lose the game.

My final point on this is (and tell me if you agree:

Under the new rules....say TEAM A (the receiving team) goes down and kicks a FG. TEAM B (the kicking team), with a chance to tie or win, gets into FG range and kicks a FG tying the game. TEAM A gets the ball again, and drives and kicks a FG. Game over.

Now TEAM B will still complain they had 1 less possession than TEAM A, so nothing is really resolved through the rule change. On top of that, TEAM B will effectively be playing with 4 downs to get into scoring position, because punting would end the game. TEAM A, on the other hand is effectively playing with 3 downs, because they start with the ball. This gives team B an unfair advantage IMO.

I have one of those BIlls fan sickening feelings that the Bills will be the first teams to lose a game under these new rules, in a game where we would have won under the previous rules.