IMHO Buffalo will trade down from 10

Frez

There are going to be more trades now that there is a new collective bargaining agreement, since teams will financially be better able to cushion busts in the first round. If the pick is priced to sell, it will do just that. The Bills can trade the pick depending on what they are willing to accept in return. Look at all the trade that New England has been able to do. However, how many impact players has New England been able to draft?

I think the Bills are going to draft Jonathan Martin since there are many Vince Jackson type players that will be available in the second round. I have more confidence in Nix than I had with Levy as far as drafting, since he hasn't had any real wasted picks, except maybe Troup but that seems to be more about development and back issues.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are going to be more trades now that there is a new collective bargaining agreement, since teams will financially be better able to cushion busts in the first round. If the pick is priced to sell, it will do just that. The Bills can trade the pick depending on what they are willing to accept in return. Look at all the trade that New England has been able to do. However, how many impact players has New England been able to draft?

I think the Bills are going to draft Jonathan Martin since there are many Vince Jackson type players that will be available in the second round. I have more confidence in Nix than I had with Levy as far as drafting, since he hasn't had any real wasted picks, except maybe Troup but that seems to be more about development and back issues.

I would think this means LESS trades, since a team has less risk invested in a player.

In 2010, the Bills gave Spiller a 5yr/$25mil contract at the #9 spot.

In 2011, thanks to the new CBA, the Cowboys gave T.Smith a 4yr/$12.5mil contract at the #9 spot.

That is half the risk.

If it were me, I would be more likely to stay put and pick "my guy" and have much less worry about him busting since the investment is so much less.

IMO, stay at 10 and pick the guy we like.

EDIT: I guess if you are looking at it from the perspective of a possible trade partner, I can understand that. They arent trading up into a huge contract, so it might be easier to find a partner. But it would have to be a sweeeet deal for the Bills to make me want to trade down.

Edited by DrDareustein

Sure, they're thories but there has to be some basis on team needs because we don't know draft boards etc. of other teams. The one thing we can look at is our needs compared to those around us.

Another trade down scenario could be that the best pass rusher (on someone's board) in the draft falls to us and we don't have the same grade on him but someone wants to get him before Seattle. Then it'd be a question of the parameters of the trade being acceptable to Buddy.

Fair enough in the spirit of "anything can happen no matter how unexpected" but the OP is stating he expects iT WILL happen, that's what I'm responding to

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No new information here but a semi-interesting look into the Bills thoughts from Chris Brown on friday. ure, he is not going to give anything away and he doesn't know for sure but he is pretty wired into what they won't do, and the possibilities. And here is what he said about #10, which is what a lot of us are discussing. Obviously Martin, Reiff and Floyd are still in play. To me, IF the Bills find a trade down partner, which I doubt, I could see Buddy trading down. Otherwise I think it still comes down to Floyd or Martin.

Look at all the top notch rookie WR's selected in the draft over the years. I don't see a whole lot of NFL studs with them. You can say the same about any position, I guess. Selecting Floyd with the 10th pick seems risky to me.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/wr

As Nanker stated you need a dance partner, and if we can see there isn't elite talent at 10 so can every other GM. A trade down will depend on if a desirable player falls to us.

As for Buddy's comment of wanting more picks he could be referring to comp picks which are yet to be given out.

PTR

Someone like Tannehill still being available might be the thing that changed this.

He doesn't "deserve" to be a top-10 pick, but someone will reach for a QB if they need one.

Buddy's said more than a few times he's not big on trading down - but on the other hand, he's said, and continues to say, he's not big on bringing in outside FA's - this year was a stated exception.

The counter-argument is, Nix ad Gailey really want another option at OLT even if they re-sign Bell. If only one guy they like (Martin, perhaps?) is stil there at #10, I am pretty sure they will be too be afraid to trade down and potentially not get him.

Edited by BobChalmers

I think Buddy is adamant about not trading up and losing picks, but he entertains offers of trading down and gaining picks. I believe he mentioned they got a few calls to trade down last year, but their man was Dareus. If there is no one at 10 that they really like AND they get a decent offer, he will trade down.

I think Buddy is adamant about not trading up and losing picks, but he entertains offers of trading down and gaining picks. I believe he mentioned they got a few calls to trade down last year, but their man was Dareus. If there is no one at 10 that they really like AND they get a decent offer, he will trade down.

He hasn traded down in any round in 2 years here. Idk about Chargers, what was their history when he was there? Spiller they coul have traded 5 slots back and project he would have been there, Troupe they could ha traded an entire round back.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense. Unless Buffalo is in love with certain player at the 10th spot I can see Buffalo trading down and acquiring more picks in this years draft. Selecting a Cordy Glenn in the middle of round one or a Courtney Upshaw, Zach Brown, Peter Konz, Mike Adams, Devon Still, etc etc.

Buddy Nix made this statement "We have 9 picks in this years draft but would like 10". If Buffalo finds a dancing partner at 10 I really believe we trade down and gain some more picks. Buffalo needs depth at many positions. Every year we get "awed" from the top 15 names in the draft but it's usually the 2nd round and back where the players really make the most impact in the NFL.

Can't stand the wait until the draft!

Problem I see with that is We might not have a willing partner depending how the top 9 picks shake out . Also do we get enough value (i'd like a second to trade down) I doubt that it's even worth it. If Nix does pull off a coup and gets a second...shoot even a third would be a victory and give us some more "pieces"

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Right you are.

Simulating the CIN trade using DraftTek Simulator,

CIN takes Trent Richardson RB (I maintain they'd take Dre Kirkpatrick here, which our CIN analyst agrees with), and Markelle Martin FS in RD3, so they get their top 2 draft priorities. The Bills take (10 picks--I added a comp at the end of RD7):

RD1-BUF-Jonathan Martin OT Stanford

RD1-BUF-Stephen Hill WRF Georgia Tech

RD2-BUF-Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina

RD4-BUF-Terrell Manning LB North Carolina State

RD4-BUF-Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette

RD5-BUF-Nate Potter OT Boise State

RD5-BUF-Marquis Maze WRS Alabama

RD6-BUF-Josh Chapman DT Alabama

RD7-BUF-Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

RD7-BUF-Jordan White WRF Western Michigan

This report was produced usingDraft Tek's Draft Simulator

In all, that would be a pretty amazing draft. Nate potter in the 5th would be a pretty great steal, along with Chapman. I have a feeling both will be starters someday. Chapman would make the team over troupe...my only concern, lack of LBs.

In fantasy world, sign mcneill to a two year contract, get kuechly instead round one.

Although Buddy may want to trade down, IMO, he won't be able to find a trading partner. Buddy hates to give up draft picks. News flash; so do other GMs. The only way he might be able to trade down is if he offers to do it at a rather insignificant price,i.e., Buffalo moves down from 10 to, say 18, and asks for only a 4th. round pick to do so. Would you be happy with that trade?

Sorry, dad, but that would be absurd. The idea is to gain value, not just throw it away. A 4th would be worth peanuts compared to moving down from 10 to 18.

Decastro is a player teams will trade up for @ 10 if still available IMO. And if we want Kalil I am sure Minnesota would love to trade down from 3 and add picks. Put me down as a no !@#$ing way to Martin, lukewarm on Reiff, and BPA all the way and hoping for a trade down. We can trade down 10 spots and land an immediate impact player still

If Poe or Blackmon is there when we pick then I would love for us to just stay put and take either one of them. If not then I wouldn't be against a trade down. Seattle would be intriguing if they wanted someone at the #10 slot. I'd be interested if they traded their 1st rd pick, 3rd string QB Josh Portis and a mid round pick. I saw Portis a few times and he has some interesting intangibles. I think that he would be a great fit in a Chan Gailey offense, much better suited for us than Thigpen.

If Poe or Blackmon is there when we pick then I would love for us to just stay put and take either one of them. If not then I wouldn't be against a trade down. Seattle would be intriguing if they wanted someone at the #10 slot. I'd be interested if they traded their 1st rd pick, 3rd string QB Josh Portis and a mid round pick. I saw Portis a few times and he has some interesting intangibles. I think that he would be a great fit in a Chan Gailey offense, much better suited for us than Thigpen.

combine aside, what has Poe done to impress you? I myself prefer production, and so does Nix

Size.

DL and RB are our two deepest positions. Not to mention there are plenty of 346 pounders out there. Where is the production? If Poe can't get it done in college, how will he get it done in the NFL?

He hasn traded down in any round in 2 years here. Idk about Chargers, what was their history when he was there? Spiller they coul have traded 5 slots back and project he would have been there, Troupe they could ha traded an entire round back.

Disagree. Spiller was considered the top RB in the draft that year. SD traded up to 12 to take Ryan Matthews after the Bills took Spiller at 9. Had the Bills moved back five spots, SD would've leapfrogged them and taken CJ. The Bills were sold on him as their guy and stayed put.

from 32? Are you looking to load up on second round picks?

Nice!

The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense. Unless Buffalo is in love with certain player at the 10th spot I can see Buffalo trading down and acquiring more picks in this years draft. Selecting a Cordy Glenn in the middle of round one or a Courtney Upshaw, Zach Brown, Peter Konz, Mike Adams, Devon Still, etc etc.

Buddy Nix made this statement "We have 9 picks in this years draft but would like 10". If Buffalo finds a dancing partner at 10 I really believe we trade down and gain some more picks. Buffalo needs depth at many positions. Every year we get "awed" from the top 15 names in the draft but it's usually the 2nd round and back where the players really make the most impact in the NFL.

Can't stand the wait until the draft!

The only way I see Buffalo trading down is if when their pick comes around, there isn't any "need" player worthy of being picked there. Hopefully someone else with a need would be willing to move up for their 1st pick and second or third in this draft.

I still see us taking the best OT, LB or CB available, assuming they aren't "reach" picks.