Mike Jasper at Guard?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Levitre's first game at LT the Redskins game where Fitz got wrecked? Seem to recall London got past Levitre.

Levitre was playing LT on the play Fitz got hurt, but it was through the LG hole that LF came through.

Redskins were in a 3 man front, 2 backers stunted around the NT, slightly delayed, bringing a total of 5 guys. Wood and Urbik doubled the NT, Rhinehart barely got a piece of Orakpo and LF went through untouched. Levitre was engaged with the RDE the entire time.

Since he is so damn big, I wonder why they didnt make Jasper a OT.

Because all athlete and no skills doesn't equate into an nfl starter. Not saying it IS the case but it could be.

There are only about 60 starting guards in the nfl. Surely there are hundreds if not thousands of really big really athletic guys in the world. Doesn't mean they are all qualified to play guard for an nfl team.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Because all athlete and no skills doesn't equate into an nfl starter. Not saying it IS the case but it could be.

There are only about 60 starting guards in the nfl. Surely there are hundreds if not thousands of really big really athletic guys in the world. Doesn't mean they are all qualified to play guard for an nfl team.

h

was thinking Jason Peters. He was an athlete that they made into an OT. Just was wondering why Jasper wasnt handled the same way.

h

was thinking Jason Peters. He was an athlete that they made into an OT. Just was wondering why Jasper wasnt handled the same way.

Jason Peters was a TE in a major DI program who slid over 4 feet to OT. Jasper was a OG/DT that was above average at a no name division 25 crap school. Peters has the skills and agility of a 200 lbs man in a 300 lbs + body while Jasper had the skills and agility of a 300 lbs man in a 400 lbs body. I've never understood the fascination with this circus freak.

Jason Peters was a TE in a major DI program who slid over 4 feet to OT. Jasper was a OG/DT that was above average at a no name division 25 crap school. Peters has the skills and agility of a 200 lbs man in a 300 lbs + body while Jasper had the skills and agility of a 300 lbs man in a 400 lbs body. I've never understood the fascination with this circus freak.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Levitre actually played surprisingly well at LT when they moved him there

When they moved him to Center, that was when the disaster occurred.

I agree played well for a Guard playing Tackle, but dont think would want him there long term.

Since he is so damn big, I wonder why they didnt make Jasper a OT.

Probably cause doesnt have fast enough first step, long enough arms, or enough exp/technique to be trusted at tackle. Tackles are often on an island so to speak, and unless willing to cut down on recievers to give them allot of help, have allot of one on one blocking assignments. With his size, and slow first step, probably not best choice for edge protection.

A lot of defense is instinct and reacting on the fly to what the opposing team is doing. On offense things are more scripted so it's much better suited to a player like Jasper with limited experience. OT requires much more technique than OG so I think that the Bills got it right. If Jasper has any chance to make it then it will be at OG.

In his 3/21 recap, Chris Brown had a photo of Mike Jasper from his visit to a local elementary school.
Looks like he lost quite a bit of weight judging by his recent photo. PTR

Jasper should've told the little mop head in that photo, "No pics until you take off that dopey jersey." ;)

You don't understand why Jasper is fascinating, extremely interesting by definition?

I agree played well for a Guard playing Tackle, but dont think would want him there long term.

I agree with you completely on both points. Levitre did pretty well filling in at LT "in a pinch" based on football savvy and mental toughness, and both he and the Bills are best suited to stay at his best position (LG) and have a natural LT playing LT.

Am I the only one wondering why Jasper seems to be at every appearance that players have been at this off season? Thats a lot of appearances for someone who was on the practice squad for all but 2 games.

You don't understand why Jasper is fascinating, extremely interesting by definition?

He doesn't always drink beer but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis.

My guess is they're hoping he can become enough of a player to be trusted to go in on short yardage plays of a yard or so or less and PUSH THE PILE. If a team had a big enough dude to go in on those 3rd and 1 or goalline situations and negate what the defense was lining up, he'd be worth a spot if he was good enough to be counted on in emergency situations, too.

Wasn't the disaster when he played center? I thought he was actually a viable tackle option . . . best at guard, but he can play tackle.

I don't want them to move Levitre, but I don't think it's fair to assume that he would be a "disaster" at center. He was pressed into action, and didn't have much time to work with Fitz on the ball exchange. Then, after a week's work, he has to debut at center in a monsoon in Miami, on a muddy field.

I have no doubt that if he had a complete training camp at center, he would excel.