Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a really good plan

bring back Bell and again ignore the LT position

after being injured for most of every season in the NFL, what makes you think relying on this walking injury is a good idea.

just so you can write his name down at LT so you can chase some more RBs

Well, I did say add depth to the tackle position as well cornerback, linebacker, etc.

sounds like a really good plan

bring back Bell and again ignore the LT position

after being injured for most of every season in the NFL, what makes you think relying on this walking injury is a good idea.

just so you can write his name down at LT so you can chase some more RBs

Well the fact hes really only LT available that can actually play the position when healthy, is still young, knows our system, and wouldnt be relying on a rookie to come in and start day one. Doesnt mean dont draft a OT, just means have some depth and dont force yourself to rely on rookies your not even sure are going to be there when you draft.

Not sure where your getting we want a RB from, but guess your just trying to make your point by being jerk about it.

Edited by rstencel

I honestly don't believe a LT at ten would be a good move. Martin is the 2nd coming of Winston justice. Sure, he's a descent player, but never will he be elite. Honestly, cordy Glenn has more potential of be great and if it doesn't work you could slide him to RG. Before you say he's a guard, he started at LT for Georgia. But, I'd trade down if we were going this route. I'd rather get a linebacker or corner.

I'm surprised at the love for Bell. The guy has never looked that good IMO, and on top of that he can't stay on the field.

Let him go and look for a more permanent option. I'd start Hairston over him anyway and I am certainly not opposed to a LT early in the draft.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm surprised at the love for Bell. The guy has never looked that good IMO, and on top of that he can't stay on the field.

Let him go and look for a more permanent option. I'd start Hairston over him anyway and I am certainly not opposed to a LT early in the draft.

Bell is better, more upside, etc. Sure he was and is a project but the guy can play LT for us and looked better then anyone there for a while.

What?

I kind of hope we don't resign Bell unless its for an extremely good-for-the-Bills contract. While he is a above average LT, he can't stay on the field. I'd much rather draft a couple of tackles in the first three rounds and have some security.

While he is a above average LT,

Injuries happen, it's the NFL. If you believe he is an above average LT, you sign him. Hairston was a rook and went down with an injury, so did Wood his rookie season. My point is, if he's above average, you sign him. Unless someone else offers a ridiculous contract. But hey, in you opinion he's an above average LT and that doesn't come cheap. Just found it odd that you say he's above average but you don't want him over a couple of rooks.

Bell was a pleasant surprise. He looked better than expected. Then again, almost everyone on the o-line performed better than I expected last year. I think the low sack count was largely due to scheming, especially RF getting rid of the ball quickly. While Bell wasn't a matador, he was nothing special IMO, and the injuries are a concern. I don't think he's worth investing big $$ or a long contract.

I loved Chandler's play in his big games, but think he disappeared for long stretches of the season because we couldn't afford to have him run a route. I'd love to see an o-line that can hold it's own with little help to open up our offensive options. (We of course also need more offensive weapons like TE, WR.)

All that said, if we don't start the year with Bell or better, I'll be really disappointed.

While he is a above average LT,

Injuries happen, it's the NFL. If you believe he is an above average LT, you sign him. Hairston was a rook and went down with an injury, so did Wood his rookie season. My point is, if he's above average, you sign him. Unless someone else offers a ridiculous contract. But hey, in you opinion he's an above average LT and that doesn't come cheap. Just found it odd that you say he's above average but you don't want him over a couple of rooks.

People honestly believe Bell is an above average LT? Why? Make me understand. I have watched every game, the guy has been beaten BADLY at times. Other times he appeared to hold is own. However he has never looked like anything approaching above average to me. Peters looked above average, Jennings looked above average (until injury), not Bell. I don't hate Bell, I just see him for what he is, a stop gap, average at best, injury prone LT.

I think the Bills are doing the right thing so far. Make him a low ball offer, if he takes it, great. If not, oh well, since we should be looking for a more permanent solution anyway.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

First round draft pick LTs have been a disaster the last few years. And this year is worse than most for them. Pass.

Not true that recent LT picks have been a disaster..

Andre Smith looked like a flop his first two years in Cincy. He was really good last year and now looks like he's matured. He will likely be looked at as a good pick. Eugene Monroe, a fellow top-ten tackle in 2009 has also proved a good draft pick. Trent Williams has been a very good pick for the Skins. Russell Okung had improved a lot last year too, though he got injured on that nasty judo throw. Tyron Smith had a good year at RT as a rook last year and is switching to LT this year.

Actually, a lot of solid guys for high picks at LT lately. Branden Albert, too.

Andre Smith looked like a flop his first two years in Cincy. He was really good last year and now looks like he's matured. He will likely be looked at as a good pick. Eugene Monroe, a fellow top-ten tackle in 2009 has also proved a good draft pick. Trent Williams has been a very good pick for the Skins. Russell Okung had improved a lot last year too, though he got injured on that nasty judo throw. Tyron Smith had a good year at RT as a rook last year and is switching to LT this year.

Williams, Smith and Okung can't seem to stay healthy, like Bell. Albert is average at best. Monroe has been durable and decent (graded 12th best LT in 2012), but it took him until his 3rd year to show his worth. And Tyron Smith hasn't yet played LT.

If Bell resigns it opens up a lot of opportunities for us at #10 and allows us to take an LT later in the draft, he will have time to develop and it will allow us to take BPA. If he doesn't resign, we become a bit desperate to find one and that is when teams reach and make mistakes - it happens all the time.

After Kalil, the rest of the tackles don't do anything for me to justify them at #10. I don't think they are great and they all need some work. #10 needs to be an impact player and a starter (last time we will be this high for awhile) - I don't see a tackle after Kalil being that when compared to others who are likely to be there. Bell not coming back forces us to seriously look at Martin/Reiff/Adams over a player like Floyd or a CB or Decastro (for all you Decastro lovers) or whatever the top LB is that the LB lovers want. This is where bad things happen.

I don't know if Bell can be a long term answer or not. A healthy season could go a long way in making that determination. I know it would be nice to have him for at least this season with Hairston to open the draft up to BPA and we get our guy to develop under both of them. Him not coming back, puts us in a bind and theoretically restricts BPA...

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass dusters while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

They Made an offer, He just didn't accept it yet. He think's he can get more elsewhere...

You're being selective in your audit.

If you took every highly drafted OT over the last 5 years, you'd see that the success rate has been about 50%.

bring back Bell and draft a lt in the first round imho

I'm ALL for this! Bring back Bell at a reasonable price and than draft the best LT available.

This ensures the Bills have a serviceable LT to start the season with.

If the LT the Bills drafts takes off in the preseason, and is ready, than he moves ahead of Bell. But he won't have to be counted on immediately. If Bell gets injured (again) the rookie is there to step in. If the rookie struggles Bell is there as insurance.

Either way it gives the Bills something they haven't had in years, Depth. Injuries have killed the team due to an incredible drop off in talent when injuries take their toll.

Again, I really hope the Bills resign Bell, and than draft a top flight LT if he is available.

The only LT (that the Bills have a realistic shot at) I'd draft is Reiff, but only after a trade down. If they can't trade down, I'd take Floyd (after meticulous vetting).

Even Scouts who love Reiff (like Mayock) question whether or not he'll ever be a LT in the NFL...Trade down or not, I just can't see Drafting a Kid in the 1st Round if The Bills are not 100% sure he will be a LT...And it seems not many are 100% sure Reiff will be a LT... B-)

true about Smith and Manning.

but Bell had Zona look at him eand then re-sign Brown,

Redskins are th eonly other team to have him in, that i am aware of. He left D.C w/o a contract.

Has to make you wonder if he is being stubborn/getting bad advice, or has not seen anything better then the Bills offer.

Also, he has to be sitting there watching what Buffalo is doing, and saying 'that team is trying to win, why do i not negotiate with them?'

and somewhere in his brain, i hope he understands that he has the BEST chance to start at LT with the BILLS.

I hope he crealizes that abd signs a incentive laden two year contract and prove himself.