Smart Cars

I have been waiting for someone to tell me how something like mirrors and lights shouldn't be mandated. Then I can understand the their postion on the camera. To me a camera is no different an aid than a mirror... Just better... Why are people so against change... Because it is being forced upon them?

No takers? Fine then...

So because something better comes along the government automatically needs to mandate it?? Your argument is insane. Oh and by the way when exactly is the government big and bad and when is it not. When it's mandating cameras or when it mandates this:

I do hate the federal mandate in 2007 that has TPMS (tire pressure)...

Hmmmmm, Eric???

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. 10 years of reliability data from Consumer Reports is so irrelevant.

Relax Audi guy: You'll always be higher than a Jeep in reliability, and cost 30x as much to fix.

I'd still rather drive a German car which is why I switched.

So because something better comes along the government automatically needs to mandate it?? Your argument is insane. Oh and by the way when exactly is the government big and bad and when is it not. When it's mandating cameras or when it mandates this:

Hmmmmm, Eric???

About the TPMS... I got an early version... The newer ones I would love! The 2006 Chrysler doesn't tell me the exact tire that is off. Sucks in 20 below.

Anyway... I am all for that mandate. I just hate for my model year. Chrysler was trying to stay ahead of the curve in 2006 before 2007 kicked in. I wouldn't change it that they forced it upon us.

About the TPMS... I got an early version... The newer ones I would love! The 2006 Chrysler doesn't tell me the exact tire that is off. Sucks in 20 below.

Anyway... I am all for that mandate. I just hate for my model year. Chrysler was trying to stay ahead of the curve in 2006 before 2007 kicked in. I wouldn't change it that they forced it upon us.

I guess you just need someone to tell you what you need. There's our difference. I don't.

I have been waiting for someone to tell me how something like mirrors and lights shouldn't be mandated. Then I can understand their postion on the cameras. To me a camera is no different an aid than a mirror... Just better... Why are people so against change... Because it is being forced upon them?

No takers? Fine then...

I'll actually try to answer you seriously. Mirrors, turning signals and brake lights are good things. Backup cameras may be a good thing for some people, but the government shouldn't mandate what I would consider an accessory. Should they mandate eliminating the standard transmission and make every car have an automatic transmission? How about cupholders? There are some people that resist the diminishment of their skills. Using a camera to park or back up could certainly cause a person's skill to be diminished. There are some skills that a person doesn't want to lose and some accessories that they just plain don't want. Why should the nanny state mandate a rear camera?

I have been waiting for someone to tell me how something like mirrors and lights shouldn't be mandated. Then I can understand their postion on the cameras. To me a camera is no different an aid than a mirror... Just better... Why are people so against change... Because it is being forced upon them?

No takers? Fine then...

By that logic, the safest care is completely enclosed with cameras mounted everywhere and a bank of monitors inside.

<br />By that logic, the safest care is completely enclosed with cameras mounted everywhere and a bank of monitors inside.<br />
<br /><br />No.  Sorry Dr. Spock.   I am only asking you to look into mirrors for what is out of your field of view.  Mirrors are inherently unsafe... Cameras are safer than a mirror because it will give a bigger field of vision... Wide view mirrors distort distance.  Turning your head, while positive view confirmation is dangerous because you take your eyes totally of what's ahead of you.  I am not talking about your front field of view... The best is still your human eyes. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

<br /><br />No.  Sorry Dr. Spock.   I am only asking you to look into mirrors for what is out of your field of view.  Mirrors are inherently unsafe... Cameras are safer than a mirror because it will give a bigger field of vision... Wide view mirrors distort distance.  Turning your head, while positive view confirmation is dangerous because you take your eyes totally of what's ahead of you.  I am not talking about your front field of view... The best is still your human eyes.

What? Cameras have a wider field of view than windows, and cameras are safer because turning your head to look behind you takes your eyes off what's in front of you when you're in reverse...but facing forward and staring at a screen in the car when you're going backwards, that's safer than both using your mirrors AND looking around you?

Where on earth did you learn to drive?

<br />What?  Cameras have a wider field of view than windows, and cameras are safer because turning your head to look behind you takes your eyes off what's in front of you when you're in reverse...but facing forward and staring at a screen in the car when you're going backwards, that's safer than both using your mirrors AND looking around you?<br /><br />Where on earth did you learn to drive?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

For such a pedantic, supercillious anal orifice your reading comprehension is sure lacking Tom.

<br /><br /><br />

For such a pedantic, supercillious anal orifice your reading comprehension is sure lacking Tom.

"Mirrors are inherently unsafe... Cameras are safer than a mirror because it will give a bigger field of vision... Wide view mirrors distort distance. Turning your head, while positive view confirmation is dangerous because you take your eyes totally of what's ahead of you."

Mirrors are unsafe. Cameras are safer because of a wider field of vision. Turning your head is dangerous because you're not looking in front of you (when you're backing up, for Christ's sake! :lol:) So the safest way to back up, according to you, is to keep your field of vision on a video screen in the car...which, being camera-based, is safer than mirrors and safer than turning your head.

What part did I misunderstand? :lol:

1332441169[/url]' post='2418971']

I don't care if they break down more often BMW's are great cars to drive.

And that GG, is why CR likes them.

But Audis are not known for reliability. BMWs either. No matter how much you argue otherwise.

1332441801[/url]' post='2418999']

I'd still rather drive a German car which is why I switched.

Me too. I drive a BMW. Not because it's got incredible reliability. Because its great to drive.

<br /><br />No.  Sorry Dr. Spock.   I am only asking you to look into mirrors for what is out of your field of view.  Mirrors are inherently unsafe... Cameras are safer than a mirror because it will give a bigger field of vision... Wide view mirrors distort distance.  Turning your head, while positive view confirmation is dangerous because you take your eyes totally of what's ahead of you.  I am not talking about your front field of view... The best is still your human eyes.

Cameras do not give a wider field of vision. The only thing a camera is better for is seeing below your bumper.

I, personally, don't see the value of a backup camera. My wife's car has one and I never use it. Actually, I find it much more difficult than using mirrors or turning my head. How do you judge distance? Plus I like to see what's more than 5ft away and on the ground. So, I could care less ... yeah that's right... care less if they put the cameras in cars or not, I'm not using them.

Its no different than mandating seat belts, tire pressure sensors, hands free headsets, etc. They almost have to. Who's going to be the politician to stand up and say.. I don't care about the safety of your children. That's what its all about - protecting people's kids because they're unable to teach them basic self reliance and common sense.

Edited by Dan

I, personally, don't see the value of a backup camera. My wife's car has one and I never use it. Actually, I find it much more difficult than using mirrors or turning my head. How do you judge distance? Plus I like to see what's more than 5ft away and on the ground. So, I could care less ... yeah that's right... care less if they put the cameras in cars or not, I'm not using them.

Its no different than mandating seat belts, tire pressure sensors, hands free headsets, etc. They almost have to. Who's going to be the politician to stand up and say.. I don't care about the safety of your children. That's what its all about - protecting people's kids because they're unable to teach them basic self reliance and common sense.

I wonder how many laws/regulations/mandates are on the books that translate roughly to "Hey, dumbass, you're being a dumbass!" Probably a majority of them.

I, personally, don't see the value of a backup camera. My wife's car has one and I never use it. Actually, I find it much more difficult than using mirrors or turning my head. How do you judge distance?

The camera on my car has guides along the left and right that align with parking space lines, and horizontally has green, yellow and then red bars to judge how close you are to something, as well as a small vertical line in the middle. Sounds to me like your wife's car just has a crappy camera.