Smart Cars

I was watching a commercial for some new Acura SUV that has all these gadgets on it. One is a sensor that tells you when there is a car in your blind spot. And the ad said "the smartest car you'll ever drive." What am I too !@#$ing dumb to be aware of my surroundings. If you check your mirrors often enough you'll know when a vehicle has entered your blind spot. Oh and if you turn your head there is no blind spot.

Why is this here on PPP? Because the Fed government is trying to mandate back up cameras on all cars by 2014. WTF?? I leased a new car a year ago. I got it for many reasons but one was that it didn't have one of those damn back up cameras.

We've become too dumb to drive and the government is saving us from our own stupidity. And yes I know this law is to prevent kids from getting squished in the driveway but we need a new government mandate to save just how many lives?

This message has been brought to you from Chef Jim. I'm a conservative and I kill babies.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate federal mandates like this, but make no mistake, the back-up camera is one of my favorite features on my car. I have always preferred to back into any parking spot, or into my garage, etc. and the video camera is freaking stellar. Terrific wide angles so you can really see people who suddenly pop into the picture with a shopping cart. And remember, I live right in the heart of all inhumanity...the end of a cul-de-sac filled with despicable children and pets.

Mandate? No. But it's a great feature...unless it's raining.

I hate federal mandates like this, but make no mistake, the back-up camera is one of my favorite features on my car. I have always preferred to back into any parking spot, or into my garage, etc. and the video camera is freaking stellar. Terrific wide angles so you can really see people who suddenly pop into the picture with a shopping cart. And remember, I live right in the heart of all inhumanity...the end of a cul-de-sac filled with despicable children and pets.

Mandate? No. But it's a great feature...unless it's raining.

How on earth did we ever park without a smart car? I test drove a Cadillac CTS and whenever you put it in reverse a video screen popped out of the dash. You're kidding me right. If someone is walking behind me with a shopping cart god gave me a camera to see them. It's my eyes.

And regarding living in a suburban cul-de-sac. Hey kids, I'm backing up, get out of my way ya little bastards. :P And remember I lived in OC for 7 years myself.

How on earth did we ever park without a smart car? I test drove a Cadillac CTS and whenever you put it in reverse a video screen popped out of the dash. You're kidding me right. If someone is walking behind me with a shopping cart god gave me a camera to see them. It's my eyes.

But turning your head is hard...

I find the backup camera on my truck very useful. Especially after I put crosshairs on it.

But turning your head is hard...

I find the backup camera on my truck very useful. Especially after I put crosshairs on it.

:lol:

Oh I know it's one of those I don't need it because I don't have it and if I had it I'd love it things. I've backed up into cars parallel parking. There are some crazy ass parking situations on these hills in SF. But that's why I lease, I know I've gone far enough when my bumper taps the car behind me. :D

And regarding living in a suburban cul-de-sac. Hey kids, I'm backing up, get out of my way ya little bastards. :P And remember I lived in OC for 7 years myself.

It's useful on bigger vehicles but I agree with you.

Wait until those parts start breaking and see how people feel about the mandate.

It's useful on bigger vehicles but I agree with you.

Wait until those parts start breaking and see how people feel about the mandate.

I always felt if you need a camera to back up your vehilce (truck) it's too big for you. I love watching guys in 18-wheelers back into a loading dock. No cameras there. Those !@#$ers are good especially here in the city were it's tight quarters.

I always felt if you need a camera to back up your vehilce (truck) it's too big for you. I love watching guys in 18-wheelers back into a loading dock. No cameras there. Those !@#$ers are good especially here in the city were it's tight quarters.

I used to be a truck driver and had no issues backing up cube vans except for the one time i smashed a sign at a Mcdonalds drive through...

but that was going forward :oops:

That being said, the more and more technology you put on a car, the more you end up dishing out when it eventually breaks if you keep your cars out of warranty.

I used to be a truck driver and had no issues backing up cube vans except for the one time i smashed a sign at a Mcdonalds drive through...

but that was going forward :oops:

That being said, the more and more technology you put on a car, the more you end up dishing out when it eventually breaks if you keep your cars out of warranty.

That's why I like a lease car. I don't feel I need a new car every three years it's just nice to have everything included, even oil changes.

I used to work for a furniture rental company years ago and had to take a class to drive their oversized trucks. Backing up is all in the sideview mirrors.

I was watching a commercial for some new Acura SUV that has all these gadgets on it. One is a sensor that tells you when there is a car in your blind spot. And the ad said "the smartest car you'll ever drive." What am I too !@#$ing dumb to be aware of my surroundings. If you check your mirrors often enough you'll know when a vehicle has entered your blind spot. Oh and if you turn your head there is no blind spot.

Why is this here on PPP? Because the Fed government is trying to mandate back up cameras on all cars by 2014. WTF?? I leased a new car a year ago. I got it for many reasons but one was that it didn't have one of those damn back up cameras.

We've become too dumb to drive and the government is saving us from our own stupidity. And yes I know this law is to prevent kids from getting squished in the driveway but we need a new government mandate to save just how many lives?

This message has been brought to you from Chef Jim. I'm a conservative and I kill babies.

my wife's car was backed into by some assh%^& in a parking lot. his expedition supposedly had these cameras and his excuse was that they didn't "see" her. started getting mouthy enough that she called me in tears. by the time i got there the cops were already there and he was still trying to deny responsibility!

Just this winter I rented a Hyundai Genesis from Manchester, NH to Jay Peak, VT... It had all the bells a whistles... I do admit that the back-up camera was a very nice feature. My cars that I drive are polar opposites: A 2006 Chrysler Pacifica and a 2006 Jeep TJ. The Chrysler has back up alert, but was a year early for the camera. The gist of this is... I can appreciate both. I do hate the federal mandate in 2007 that has TPMS (tire pressure)... My '06 Chrysler has that and it is a pain in the butt... On the Jeep... I just use the gauge tire caps with the greem indicators.

Again.. I really appreciate both sides of the driving argument.

How few people/children are killed a year backing up?:wallbash:

Boy if you're upset with this you are going to really lose it when self-driving cars get here in 5-10 years (maybe sooner)- they want this because they think with swarm technology and networked cars they can almost eliminate traffic jams.

My wife's car has a backup camera. It's much better than looking.

But my eyes are already paid for and I have insurance incase the break down.

Boy if you're upset with this you are going to really lose it when self-driving cars get here in 5-10 years (maybe sooner)- they want this because they think with swarm technology and networked cars they can almost eliminate traffic jams.

I'm not uupset about new technology in cars. I think back up cameras are an unneccessary cost and just something else to break. It's the government wanting to mandate that all cars come equiped with them by 2014.

We used to use slide rules, now we use calculators. I get the argument of turning your head... But cars used to not have brake lights, and passenger side mirrors standard... They do now... I suppose the same will progress with cameras. Cameras like calculators are a cheap commodity.

But my eyes are already paid for and I have insurance incase the break down.

I'm not uupset about new technology in cars. I think back up cameras are an unneccessary cost and just something else to break. It's the government wanting to mandate that all cars come equiped with them by 2014.

Cameras are a very cheap commodity just like throw-away calculators... Remember when a 4 function desk top calculator cost 80 bucks... How much is it worth now.

It won't really add to the price of the car... ONLY if they want it to.

We used to use slide rules, now we use calculators. I get the argument of turning your head... But cars used to not have brake lights, and passenger side mirrors standard... They do now... I suppose the same will progress with cameras. Cameras like calculators are a cheap commodity.

Did the government mandate you throw away your slide rule and go to a calculator?

Did the government mandate you throw away your slide rule and go to a calculator?

Now we are getting to the crux of the issue.

No, they didn't... But common sense did. Yet, morons like you will still be driving in 15 years when they are old and decrepit... Something will have to be mandated against your dumb Boomer arse... It is only 13 short years away. I don't want your stupid arse relying on turning your old head. :nana: :nana:

This is the worst idea since they mandated those goddamn rear windows. What, side windows and a windshield aren't enough? Like I can't stick my freakin head out the window? Morons...

Don't get me started on that damned newfangled rear-view mirror tech! Our government is clearly in the pocket of Big Reflector.