Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure it has been mentioned or not, I have been trying to catch up on this thread but I find it funny that the picture they are using of him was when he was 15. He had his "grill" in that night and has tats. Not that it is a big issue, but he isn't the school boy he was at 13.

Also, I find it both sad and empowering that there is a candle light vigil for him tongiht in Winston-Salem.

Edited by jboyst62

He created the situation? So the next time someone asks me where Im going I can break their nose, slam their head against the concrete and go for their gun?

http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-shooter-told-cops-teenager-went-gun-030349812--abc-news.html

That tidbit is helpful in painting a picture but in the grand scheme of things it's relatively inconsequential. The dispatcher's advice is in no way binding upon him, nor did he issue a command, just told him he didn't need to do that.

Suppose you see someone acting suspicious and you're worried he might be a predator. Calling the cops and tailing the guy to let the cops know where he's going could save someone from getting raped or killed. The guy getting tailed might not like it and could call the cops himself and say there's a creepy guy following him. He doesn't have the right to attack someone for following him and it doesn't forclose the follower's right to defend himself if attacked.

A few months ago a strange guy was on my friend's neighbor's porch after 2 am peering through the window. I approached him and asked him who he was looking for and why he was there. I was also locked and loaded at the time. It turns out he was up to no good so we called the cops. I don't believe I invited him to attack me.

It's hardly inconsequential. The kid was at his GF's father's house and was returning from a trip to a 7-11 and was unarmed. While his actions (if he indeed attacked Zimmerman first) were in no way justified, Zimmerman did create the unfortunate situation when he confronted Martin. As for the dispatcher's advice, why call the cops if you're not going to heed their advice?

It's hardly inconsequential. The kid was at his GF's father's house and was returning from a trip to a 7-11 and was unarmed. While his actions (if he indeed attacked Zimmerman first) were in no way justified, Zimmerman did create the unfortunate situation when he confronted Martin. As for the dispatcher's advice, why call the cops if you're not going to heed their advice?

You're missing the point, and I'm surprised because you're normally fairly sound (in these parts anyway). You're injecting your speculation just like BFMF was.

Take the principle you're espousing outside of this particular incident and apply it broadly. You're essentially saying that any time you see a potential predator acting suspicious mind your business and keep going.

And he obviously wasn't calling the cops for advice, much less the advice of a !@#$ing dispatcher. That would be like me asking the 16 year old working the counter at the pharmacy for medical advice.

Take the principle you're espousing outside of this particular incident and apply it broadly. You're essentially saying that any time you see a potential predator acting suspicious mind your business and keep going.

So are you saying that's what Zimmerman should have done, or that's what Martin should have done? :unsure:

You're missing the point, and I'm surprised because you're normally fairly sound (in these parts anyway). You're injecting your speculation just like BFMF was.

And he obviously wasn't calling the cops for advice, much less the advice of a !@#$ing dispatcher. That would be like me asking the 16 year old working the counter at the pharmacy for medical advice.

I have no skin in this game, Rob. I'm only going by what's been reported. The facts are that Martin was in the gated community because his GF's father lived there, he was visiting her there, he went out to a 7-11, returned, and while talking on his cell phone was approached by Zimmerman, who later shot and killed him. He was unarmed. Piecing things together, he wasn't originally there to cause trouble, but trouble found him. What likely set-off Zimmerman was Martin running because he thought someone was following him (as stated by his GF). This led Zimmerman to confront Martin, who by one witness account started beating-up Zimmerman, and that led Zimmerman to shoot him.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Zimmerman didn't get out of his car and approach Martin, none of this would have happened. We can argue the merits of vigilante justice, but my point was to say that Zimmerman escalated things when he confronted Martin, at which point Martin wrongly escalated things further.

I have no skin in this game, Rob. I'm only going by what's been reported. The facts are that Martin was in the gated community because his GF's father lived there, he was visiting her there, he went out to a 7-11, returned, and while talking on his cell phone was approached by Zimmerman, who later shot and killed him. He was unarmed. Piecing things together, he wasn't originally there to cause trouble, but trouble found him. What likely set-off Zimmerman was Martin running because he thought someone was following him (as stated by his GF). This led Zimmerman to confront Martin, who by one witness account started beating-up Zimmerman, and that led Zimmerman to shoot him.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Zimmerman didn't get out of his car and approach Martin, none of this would have happened. We can argue the merits of vigilante justice, but my point was to say that Zimmerman escalated things when he confronted Martin, at which point Martin wrongly escalated things further.

Is anyone arguing that Zimmerman isn't culpable?

I think the real question at this point is whether he's criminally liable, or civilly liable...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/trayvon-martin-trademarks-769123

"Sybrina Fulton is seeking marks for the phrases “I Am Trayvon” and “Justice for Trayvon,” according to filings made last week with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. In both instances, Fulton, 46, is seeking the trademarks for use on “Digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring Trayvon Martin,” and other products."