Nix on PFT live: Spiller & Jackson to compete

If you watched the games Spiller started you can disagree. Especially given the fact that Spiller showed he has a lot more than straight line speed. I love Freddy, Freddy had a great season. But if you don't think that Spiller can bring it, you haven't been watching.

I agree with your running back assessments. IMHO, CJ Spiller has way more upside than Freddy. Freddy is not getting any younger and CJ's best football is coming up.

Anyway you look at it, our team has two pretty good RB's.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your running back assessments. IMHO, CJ Spiller has way more upside than Freddy. Freddy is not getting any younger and CJ's best football is coming up.

Anyway you look at it, our team has two pretty good RB's.

They are both extremely talented, and bring different skillsets to the table. We are really well off at the position.

I don't care who starts as long as Gailey get them both 15-20 touches a piece. Enough of throwing deep on 3rd and short! :wallbash:

Ugh I HATED that last year. When our receivers were healthy and Brad Smith was the wildcat QB, I loved the wildcat runs on third and short.

I have mixed emotions about this. I mean no position should just be given to anyone but Fred earned his spot last year. I just hope the statement wasn't too harsh to the point where Fred feels disrespected or something. I say I'm ok with letting them going head to head to see who gets number 1 and who gets number 2 but like I said I hope it was said in a good way. I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys.

According to rotoworld, Nix indicated on PFT Live interview today that after Spillers strong finish that Spiller and Jackson will compete in camp for starting job and bigger share of carries. Seems they are going to give Spiller a chance to officially be named the starter. I am sure regardless who wins, the other back will still get a fair amount of touches, but this should be interesting as both are talented. Can FJ come back from injury at 31 and still hold off the highly paid young budding star? Or will Spiller take his eventual spot as our star RB sooner rather than later?

Spiller has shown he can run

Jackson has shown he can do everything - block, run, catch, protect

According to rotoworld, Nix indicated on PFT Live interview today that after Spillers strong finish that Spiller and Jackson will compete in camp for starting job and bigger share of carries. Seems they are going to give Spiller a chance to officially be named the starter. I am sure regardless who wins, the other back will still get a fair amount of touches, but this should be interesting as both are talented. Can FJ come back from injury at 31 and still hold off the highly paid young budding star? Or will Spiller take his eventual spot as our star RB sooner rather than later?

Has there EVER been a season where Freddie hasn't had to "compete" for the starting position? :rolleyes:

I have no idea how anyone can disagree with this post.

I like Spiller quite a lot but I also agree.

I think there are two things Spiller does better than Freddy. He has some real quick moves and that straight line speed. I am not knocking CJ, but Fred is just very much better at all of the other things. He is a complete player. I do like that we have them both, but I don't see too many backs in the league I would rather have than Fred. 10? I don't think so. I can't be too hard on Spiller for not being able to beat Fred.

I have mixed emotions about this. I mean no position should just be given to anyone but Fred earned his spot last year. I just hope the statement wasn't too harsh to the point where Fred feels disrespected or something. I say I'm ok with letting them going head to head to see who gets number 1 and who gets number 2 but like I said I hope it was said in a good way. I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys.

It does. I'd rather see it phrased as "Freddie's our starter, Spiller can earn that from him, but he'll have to work hard" or something. "They'll both compete for it" just sounds vaguely insulting to both of them.

This is a great way to motivate and be fair to both players. So they probably won't get a deal done with Fred until well into training camp now. I hope FJack thrives with this competition like we know he can.

I really like Spiller in this position too. Gailey will have to use them both since a better defense will mean closer games and more ball control. With a little O-line improvement and depth, this team could be pretty good. #10 has to be OT right?

I kind of like this. Fred is going to get some extra cash and be pissed off because it isn't what he thinks he's worth (he'll be right)

Fred is going to be pissed off with this whole concept of CJ taking over even though he knows the writings on the wall.

Lucky for us us pissed off Freddie is romping for well over a thousand yards this year :thumbsup: I love Freddie. This dude has earned everything he's got and is humble. I dont see him just giving in. EVER! Love him and want to be a Bill until he retires. Last year at the auto show I told him we in Buffalo love the way he plays the game. He is a cool dude and the more pissed off he gets I think the better product we're going to get out of him.

Nix didn't really say that by the way. They asked him flat out who was going to start. He can't answer that question for about a dozen different reasons, not the least of which is the team is going to start negotiating a contract with Jackson soon. So Nix said the only thing he could have said, and the only thing he should have said, which was "We're going to let them decide that."

I agree that Freddy is a much better all around back than Spiller, and there is no question in my mind that he will start barring injury. It should be noted though that Freddy averaged 5.5 yards per carry on a much superior OL overall than the one Spiller ran behind, and CJ averaged 5.2 yards, which is remarkable. CJ also had the same amount of TDs with 60 less touches.

Fred Jackson is the man though, and should and will start. Chan has a tough job getting plays and touches for both of them. But if we move the ball and pick up first downs like we should, there will be more than enough touches for everyone.

If you watched the games Spiller started you can disagree. Especially given the fact that Spiller showed he has a lot more than straight line speed.

No one said anything along the lines of "Spiller only has straight line speed".

I love Freddy, Freddy had a great season. But if you don't think that Spiller can bring it, you haven't been watching.

At this stage of his career, Spiller should be carrying Jackson's helmet. Anyone who thinks Spiller is a better than Jackson hasn't been watching. It's no different than when people (like Jauron) clung to the idiotic idea that Marshawn Lynch should keep getting half the carries when Jackson was CLEARLY a much better player and far more productive. One again, we're back to "well, CJ is a first round pick and Jackson..."

Jackson was probably the offensive MVP in the NFL when he got hurt. No one was better at the RB position in ANY facet of the game. The dude was averaging 6.5 yards a touch. Chris Johnson, in his MVP season, averaged 6.1 yards a touch.

I don't have any problem with Spiller getting plenty of snaps but this team isn't getting anywhere near the playoffs if Fred Jackson isn't an integral part of the offense. 5-5 and seven 100+ yard games with him, 1-5 with a single hundred yard rushing game without him. It's not a coincidence.

no better time to throw deep, we just to have NFL wide outs make the catches everything is fine.

The Bills had the least amount of 3rd down conversions in the NFL last year. The Bills went for 2000 yds @ over 5 YPC last year and we gotta a QB that can't throw deep too. Run the ball.

much superior OL overall than the one Spiller ran behind

Jackson is a big reason the OL looks superior. It's no different than Fitzpatrick's ability to get rid of the football and avoid sacks. FJ is a freakin' magician at finding creases and hitting them on time. I'm not saying the the OLine shuffle/Fitzbustedrib/WR injury situation/Defensive collapse didn't factor into the equation because that's silly. But it's also silly to ignore how superior a player Fred Jackson is and what an enormous weapon he needs to be if this team wants to contend.

I hope he doesn't feel disrespected enough not to sign an extension but I do hope he feels disrespected enough to run for about 200 yards against the !@#$ing Patriots.

No one said anything along the lines of "Spiller only has straight line speed".

At this stage of his career, Spiller should be carrying Jackson's helmet. Anyone who thinks Spiller is a better than Jackson hasn't been watching. It's no different than when people (like Jauron) clung to the idiotic idea that Marshawn Lynch should keep getting half the carries when Jackson was CLEARLY a much better player and far more productive. One again, we're back to "well, CJ is a first round pick and Jackson..."

Jackson was probably the offensive MVP in the NFL when he got hurt. No one was better at the RB position in ANY facet of the game. The dude was averaging 6.5 yards a touch. Chris Johnson, in his MVP season, averaged 6.1 yards a touch.

I don't have any problem with Spiller getting plenty of snaps but this team isn't getting anywhere near the playoffs if Fred Jackson isn't an integral part of the offense. 5-5 and seven 100+ yard games with him, 1-5 with a single hundred yard rushing game without him. It's not a coincidence.

Qft!!!

Fred is an animal. You ride him until you can't, CJS will be there when you need him.

Jackson is a big reason the OL looks superior. It's no different than Fitzpatrick's ability to get rid of the football and avoid sacks. FJ is a freakin' magician at finding creases and hitting them on time. I'm not saying the the OLine shuffle/Fitzbustedrib/WR injury situation/Defensive collapse didn't factor into the equation because that's silly. But it's also silly to ignore how superior a player Fred Jackson is and what an enormous weapon he needs to be if this team wants to contend.

I hope he doesn't feel disrespected enough not to sign an extension but I do hope he feels disrespected enough to run for about 200 yards against the !@#$ing Patriots.

I didnt ignore the fact Jackson is superior, I said it and think it, too. I also can't believe the yards Freddy is able to get after he is hit, and always falling forward, and amazing at just making the right cut and move play after play after play.

That said, the line Spilller started all his games behind, with no Eric Wood, and musical chairs at pretty much every position, was far inferior to the one of the first 6-7 sames of Freddy's ten. And to me, Spiller averaging 5.2 yards per carry on his carries and games was even more remarkable than Freddy's 5.5 YPC in his.

Freddy is still better in every phase of the game as you said though. Spiller has a chance to be a tremendous breakaway runner in his own right though.

I hope Spiller is working hard because I have zero doubt that Freddie J is doing exactly that. If Jackson is healthy, there's no way in hell Spiller beats him out. Jackson is superior in every phase of the game. The only edge CJ has is straight line speed.

Bingo!