New Bleacher Report

Randy Moss commited to Notre Dame, then was involved in a racially motivated fight. Notre Dame then dropped him, and he committed to FSU. Moss then violated probation for failing a drug test, which caused FSU to dump him, and Moss then spent 60 days in Jail. Then he went to Marshall after blowing chances to play for Notre Dame and FSU.

Floyd was a team captain and worked as a custodian to help pay for Notre Dame. Big difference between Floyd's character and Moss's.

But they're both black and play WR. I bet you think RG3 is better than Vince Young.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that stuff is fixable. He's not out there beating up women, and doing lines in the locker room. He's a hardworker who made some dumb decisions in his past, big deal. The guy can play, he's very effective in run blocking, awesome hands I mean the list goes on.

Brilliant idea here, but I may just be mistaken. If you don't like BR, then don't read the thread. It's speculation, it's guess-work. But then again, so are all mock drafts. Hell, we're all sitting here speculating and projecting draft picks for 7 rounds and we're still a month away from the draft and free agency hasn't even hit yet!

Edited by kabnt2005

Okay... I've seen it over and over on this thread. Nobody reads Bleacher Report, nobody trusts Bleacher Report and when people post something from Bleacher Report, most everybody on this forum blasts it as B.S. I'm not here to start arguments, because I've read The Stadium Wall for the better part of 10 years and believe that Bills fans that post and reply here, are for the most part, intelligent and engaging. But as a guy who's been paid as a sports journalist and covered the Bills, Redskins and Ravens as a credentialed beat reporter, I feel obligated to speak my mind here.

First of all, breaking into sports journalism is incredibly difficult. Always has been and always will be. But it's even harder now... When I started out in the business 15 years ago, all I could do was beg for an internship, in hopes of making a resume tape to send out on VHS. I would send out the tape for a year or so, and if I didn't get a job offer, I'd find another internship and make another tape.

Now-a-days, there are similarities, but getting that "big break" is even more difficult. There seems to be a lot less of "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?", and much more of "what did you accomplish yesterday and today?

With electronic and mobile media, you've got to be CURRENT as a journalist. You have to be proactive with story ideas, aggressive with breaking news and write creatively, quickly and concisely. You also have to be engaged in social media and be ready to prove it. Sports executives in PR, Marketing, TV, Radio and Newspapers don't want to see what you've accomplished in the past. They want to see what you're doing NOW and how you're interacting with your audience!

And that's what's so impressive about Bleacher Report. It offers a place to learn, improve and get noticed. Writers who seek employment with other media outlets can instantly show results of their work and the feedback that it earned. And that's huge for those trying to break into a field that normally chews you up and spits you out.

In its infancy (2008), BR offered a platform for fans to speak their minds. But as time has passed, it has become a much more competitive place, where fans have to be serious about their writing. If facts aren't correct, columns get rejected. And in case you're wondering, opinion and speculation are WELCOME on Bleacher Report, not because the website is a joke, but because users of online media flock to opinion and speculation. They love to read about it and they love to react to it.

I personally busted my ass to break into sports journalism and like many writers on Bleacher Report, I appreciated the places that allowed me to do it. I eventually interviewed Hall of Famers, World Champions and Olympic Gold Medalists, but I never cared about the small towns I lived in, or the pennies I made. I was a journalist, it was in my blood, and I loved every minute of it. Still do.

So, before you start trashing a website that offers a unique platform for both, veteran AND aspiring journalists, get your facts straight and stop ripping it, because everybody else does. Better yet, register for the site and write a Bills story of your own. I guarantee you that you'll find it pretty damn difficult to gather information, find sources, link to those sources and build a story from start to finish. And if you complete the task, your story will be analyzed by senior editors. If your grammar and style don't cut it, you WON'T get published. And if you make it past the editors, you can be certain that your story will be correct, from a FACTUAL and grammatical standpoint. If you screwed up somewhere, they'll send you a note and tell you to fix it, in order to get published.

Here's what most of you don't know about Bleacher Report... 1. BR has a board of directors, a team of editors, lead journalists, senior writers, IT engineers, and sales & marketing divisions. 2. Many of the writers GET PAID and are just as professional as the ones at Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN.com. Many writers and editors receive credentials by BR to cover teams and events. This year's Super Bowl? 100 representatives of BR attended. 3. BR is a NATIONAL MEDIA PARTNER of many of the sports sites that you consider legit. CBSSports.com? Media Partner. USA Today? Media Partner. Comcast SportsNet? Media Partner. Coincidentally, some of the columns you read on these sites are written by BR writers, because BR shares its most popular stories with media partners, who re-publish them on THEIR sites. 4. You may not care to read BR, but the site gets approximately 25 million hits per month, which literally trounces ESPN.com. If you don't believe me, here's a link that proves it. 5. BR doesn't accept anybody and everybody. And if you wish to be paid, you have to build a large portfolio of articles that are reviewed by senior staff. A lot of applications for paid spots get rejected, but writers are encouraged to reapply. 6. BR is not run out of somebody's house, basement or back patio. In fact, it has an executive office in San Francisco and another one in New York City.

And please be patient, because before you know it, you might change your mind about the legitimacy of Bleacher Report. Last August, BR received $22 MILLION of income from investors, who believe the site has a bright future in the sports reporting business. Have you ever read ProFootballTalk.com? It was a start-up as well, back in 2001. But now, its creator (Mike Florio) chats with Bob Costas on the set of NBC's Sunday Night Football. How did that happen, you ask? Well, because he and his "news and rumor" website got bought out by NBC and he now works for them!

As for the $22 million BR got in August... It's being spent wisely, as BR continues to expand into new verticals. Next time you're on YouTube, look closely, because Bleacher Report just signed a new deal to provide sports video content FOR YouTube.

Thanks for letting me share and please feel free to respond. I'm sure my post won't change a lot of minds, but I hope some of you will reconsider BR's authenticity, because it isn't what it used to be and it sure as hell isn't what most of the posters here think it is.

And if you still don't care to read or trust the site, it's okay, because 25 million other people do, each and every month.

Edited by dcjoev

Okay... I've seen it over and over on this thread. Nobody reads Bleacher Report, nobody trusts Bleacher Report and when people post something from Bleacher Report, most everybody on this forum blasts it as B.S. I'm not here to start arguments, because I've read The Stadium Wall for the better part of 10 years and believe that Bills fans that post and reply here, are for the most part, intelligent and engaging. But as a guy who's been paid as a sports journalist and covered the Bills, Redskins and Ravens as a credentialed beat reporter, I feel obligated to speak my mind here.

First of all, breaking into sports journalism is incredibly difficult. Always has been and always will be. But it's even harder now... When I started out in the business 15 years ago, all I could do was beg for an internship, in hopes of making a resume tape to send out on VHS. I would send out the tape for a year or so, and if I didn't get a job offer, I'd find another internship and make another tape.

Now-a-days, there are similarities, but getting that "big break" is even more difficult. There seems to be a lot less of "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?", and much more of "what did you accomplish yesterday and today?

With electronic and mobile media, you've got to be CURRENT as a journalist. You have to be proactive with story ideas, aggressive with breaking news and write creatively, quickly and concisely. You also have to be engaged in social media and be ready to prove it. Sports executives in PR, Marketing, TV, Radio and Newspapers don't want to see what you've accomplished in the past. They want to see what you're doing NOW and how you're interacting with your audience!

And that's what's so impressive about Bleacher Report. It offers a place to learn, improve and get noticed. Writers who seek employment with other media outlets can instantly show results of their work and the feedback that it earned. And that's huge for those trying to break into a field that normally chews you up and spits you out.

In its infancy (2008), BR offered a platform for fans to speak their minds. But as time has passed, it has become a much more competitive place, where fans have to be serious about their writing. If facts aren't correct, columns get rejected. And in case you're wondering, opinion and speculation are WELCOME on Bleacher Report, not because the website is a joke, but because users of online media flock to opinion and speculation. They love to read about it and they love to react to it.

I personally busted my ass to break into sports journalism and like many writers on Bleacher Report, I appreciated the places that allowed me to do it. I eventually interviewed Hall of Famers, World Champions and Olympic Gold Medalists, but I never cared about the small towns I lived in, or the pennies I made. I was a journalist, it was in my blood, and I loved every minute of it. Still do.

So, before you start trashing a website that offers a unique platform for both, veteran AND aspiring journalists, get your facts straight and stop ripping it, because everybody else does. Better yet, register for the site and write a Bills story of your own. I guarantee you that you'll find it pretty damn difficult to gather information, find sources, link to those sources and build a story from start to finish. And if you complete the task, your story will be analyzed by senior editors. If your grammar and style don't cut it, you WON'T get published. And if you make it past the editors, you can be certain that your story will be correct, from a FACTUAL and grammatical standpoint. If you screwed up somewhere, they'll send you a note and tell you to fix it, in order to get published.

Here's what most of you don't know about Bleacher Report... 1. BR has a board of directors, a team of editors, lead journalists, senior writers, IT engineers, and sales & marketing divisions. 2. Many of the writers GET PAID and are just as professional as the ones at Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN.com. Many writers and editors receive credentials by BR to cover teams and events. This year's Super Bowl? 100 representatives of BR attended. 3. BR is a NATIONAL MEDIA PARTNER of many of the sports sites that you consider legit. CBSSports.com? Media Partner. USA Today? Media Partner. Comcast SportsNet? Media Partner. Coincidentally, some of the columns you read on these sites are written by BR writers, because BR shares its most popular stories with media partners, who re-publish them on THEIR sites. 4. You may not care to read BR, but the site gets approximately 25 million hits per month, which literally trounces ESPN.com. If you don't believe me, here's a link that proves it. 5. BR doesn't accept anybody and everybody. And if you wish to be paid, you have to build a large portfolio of articles that are reviewed by senior staff. A lot of applications for paid spots get rejected, but writers are encouraged to reapply. 6. BR is not run out of somebody's house, basement or patio. In fact, it has a home office in San Francisco and another one in New York City.

And please be patient, because before you know it, you might change your mind about the legitimacy of Bleacher Report. Last August,BR received $22 MILLION of income from investors, who believe the site has a bright future in the sports reporting business. Have you ever read ProFootballTalk.com? It was a start-up as well, back in 2001. But now, its creator (Mike Florio) chats with Bob Costas on the set of NBC's Sunday Night Football. How did that happen, you ask? Well, because he and his "news and rumor" website got bought out by NBC and he now works for them!

As for the $22 million BR got in August... It's being spent wisely, as BR continues to expand into new verticals. Next time you're on YouTube, look closely, because Bleacher Report just signed a new deal to provide sports video content FOR YouTube.

Thanks for letting me share and please feel free to respond. I'm sure my post won't change a lot of minds, but I hope some of you will reconsider BR's authenticity, because it isn't what it used to be and it sure as hell isn't what most of the posters here think it is.

And if you still don't care to read or trust the site, it's okay, because 25 million other people do, each and every month.

Thanks for the info, I will still treat BR with a grain of salt for now though. I actually looked at a couple article the past few days as my girlfriend follows the PM situation, they all weren't horrible. Good luck and I encourage you to link your relavant articles.

Thanks for the info, I will still treat BR with a grain of salt for now though. I actually looked at a couple article the past few days as my girlfriend follows the PM situation, they all weren't horrible. Good luck and I encourage you to link your relavant articles.

Will do. Thanks for your honesty, BuffaloBillsSD, and keep checking in. I'll be writing primarily for the Redskins, but Dan Van Wie is the one to follow for Bills news on BR. He's a native of Eden, NY.

dcjoev,

Great post, but I'd like to clear up a few things. For the record, I've been involved in internet marketing in one form or the other since 1995 (yes, 1995 - an era when you could buy virtually any domain you wanted from Network Solutions for $100, and if you told people you had e-mail they though you were a scientist)

You may not care to read BR, but the site gets approximately 25 million hits per month, which literally trounces ESPN.com.

This is my problem, you (and many, many others) seem to equate quantity with quality. The number of viewers a particular news article gets is not necessarily indicative of the quality or accuracy of the article. This doesn't just apply to websites, but rather all forms of media. By that logic the Twilight series should have been nominated for about 6 Oscars. American Idol packs them in. Would you consider that show to be the pinnacle of television?

Internet marketing is all based on impressions i.e. how many pairs of eyeballs you can get on the page. It doesn't make a lick of difference if they agree or disagree with the article. It doesn't matter if the article is accurate and in most cases wildly inaccurate articles generate more traffic (see Walterfootball.com). It doesn't even really matter if they read it. They came to the page for a half second and ads were displayed. Insiders in internet marketing affectionately refer to sites like BR as "content mills" which operate by churning out as much content as possible to grab as much traffic as possible. Rather than have 1 page that gets 10 million visitors a day, these sites operate on the model of having 1 million pages that each get 10 visitors a day. Ever wonder why all those BR articles list "Top 20 Players Blah Blah" then make you click through 20 small 1-paragraph articles? Wouldn't it be easier to just list all 20 on one page and scroll down? Heh, 20 pages = 20 times the # of impressions and 20 more pages for the search engines.

ESPN is firmly entrenched with espn.com. The majority of viewers don't arrive at espn.com from a search engine, they start at the main page and branch outward. BL on the other hand, (even with all it's traffic) is completely at the mercy of Google. Any minor change in Google's algorithm would have a massive effect on BR's traffic that would probably give the entire marketing department a nervous breakdown.

I do respect writers that work hard to write accurate stories, and I'm sure BR has many of them. You said it yourself, it's tough to break into this business. But now it seems the best way to get noticed is to write sensational articles that "bait" fans into reading them. Take the March 12 article that starts out "Mike Wallace to Bills..." Now every fan in Pittsburgh and Buffalo is going to flock to read that. The problem is the article is complete bull ****. A fantasy dreamed up by a "featured columnist" that is about a 1000:1 shot. BR is in effect, trolling us! The sports fan in me just can't ever take this type of reporting seriously, however the marketer in me lauds BR with the highest of praise.

I get why people don't like the bleacher report articles that are full of speculation, rumors, and misinformation and attempt to pass these things off as news, but who cares if a mock draft comes from bleacher report or somewhere else? Mock drafts by their very nature are rumors and speculation, no matter the source.

There are a few draft pundits out there who are worth listening to. For years the Bills would have done better by taking the consensus "BPA" of 3-4 of the best of these than with who they did draft.

Bleacher report ain't one of these. Nor Walter Football.

Here's what most of you don't know about Bleacher Report... 1. BR has a board of directors, a team of editors, lead journalists, senior writers, IT engineers, and sales & marketing divisions. 2. Many of the writers GET PAID and are just as professional as the ones at Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN.com. Many writers and editors receive credentials by BR to cover teams and events. This year's Super Bowl? 100 representatives of BR attended. 3. BR is a NATIONAL MEDIA PARTNER of many of the sports sites that you consider legit. CBSSports.com? Media Partner. USA Today? Media Partner. Comcast SportsNet? Media Partner. Coincidentally, some of the columns you read on these sites are written by BR writers, because BR shares its most popular stories with media partners, who re-publish them on THEIR sites. 4. You may not care to read BR, but the site gets approximately 25 million hits per month, which literally trounces ESPN.com. If you don't believe me, here's a link that proves it. 5. BR doesn't accept anybody and everybody. And if you wish to be paid, you have to build a large portfolio of articles that are reviewed by senior staff. A lot of applications for paid spots get rejected, but writers are encouraged to reapply. 6. BR is not run out of somebody's house, basement or back patio. In fact, it has an executive office in San Francisco and another one in New York City.

And please be patient, because before you know it, you might change your mind about the legitimacy of Bleacher Report. Last August, BR received $22 MILLION of income from investors, who believe the site has a bright future in the sports reporting business. Have you ever read ProFootballTalk.com? It was a start-up as well, back in 2001. But now, its creator (Mike Florio) chats with Bob Costas on the set of NBC's Sunday Night Football. How did that happen, you ask? Well, because he and his "news and rumor" website got bought out by NBC and he now works for them!

BR lost me with its endless slideshows. I never did think that it was run out of someone's basement, etc.; I just thought there was too little content for the clicks.

The unreliable reporting is new to me. And seriously, a site that publishes that the Redskins might sign Stevie Johnson, about ten days after Johnson signed here, isn't going to be immune from criticism. Sorry.

You (and many, many others) seem to equate quantity with quality. The number of viewers a particular news article gets is not necessarily indicative of the quality or accuracy of the article. This doesn't just apply to websites, but rather all forms of media. By that logic the Twilight series should have been nominated for about 6 Oscars. American Idol packs them in. Would you consider that show to be the pinnacle of television?

Internet marketing is all based on impressions i.e. how many pairs of eyeballs you can get on the page. It doesn't make a lick of difference if they agree or disagree with the article. It doesn't matter if the article is accurate and in most cases wildly inaccurate articles generate more traffic (see Walterfootball.com). It doesn't even really matter if they read it. They came to the page for a half second and ads were displayed. Insiders in internet marketing affectionately refer to sites like BR as "content mills" which operate by churning out as much content as possible to grab as much traffic as possible. Rather than have 1 page that gets 10 million visitors a day, these sites operate on the model of having 1 million pages that each get 10 visitors a day. Ever wonder why all those BR articles list "Top 20 Players Blah Blah" then make you click through 20 small 1-paragraph articles? Wouldn't it be easier to just list all 20 on one page and scroll down? Heh, 20 pages = 20 times the # of impressions and 20 more pages for the search engines....... it seems the best way to get noticed is to write sensational articles that "bait" fans into reading them. Take the March 12 article that starts out "Mike Wallace to Bills..." Now every fan in Pittsburgh and Buffalo is going to flock to read that. The problem is the article is complete bull ****. A fantasy dreamed up by a "featured columnist" that is about a 1000:1 shot. BR is in effect, trolling us! The sports fan in me just can't ever take this type of reporting seriously, however the marketer in me lauds BR with the highest of praise.

Really good post, QCity. Should be pinned IMO.

The burger guy at Mcdonalds gets paid to cook, but that doesn't make him a chef.

dcjoev,

I appreciate that BR provides opportunities for aspiring media members.

I worked in the media too and covered professional sports and know how difficult it is.

But BR is a bad product, IMO. I find most of the content to be poor and as a result I have not taken the time to unearth the few gems which are undoubtedly hidden amongst their myriad of mediocre contributors.

I find BR's heavy reliance upon "slide show journalism" to be offensive and emblematic of everything that is wrong with media these days. I'd happily greet an open source publisher which encouraged long form journalism. I have no use for what I call McSoundbite media.

I'm glad they exist but I won't be using my time using their product.

Thanks for your perspective.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Dc - I'll chime in too, as a more vocal person that's anti-bleacher.

I don't buy the editing on level with your claim. I have read many "articles" with glaring errors in grammar, and significant factual mistakes. As some have referenced - Stevie to redskins - published this last week as an example. It's just not worth wading through that information in order to figure out who has connections, who has smart insights, and who is just making stuff up as they go. For your average fan, it's often especially hard to figure it out unless you are very active in keeping up to date on not just your team but others. I'm sure there are guys that have a shot and write well but many do not. I'll let those media partners that publish the best be my screening for bleacher content.

Edited by NoSaint

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that Bleacher Report is clearly in the thread title. The OP made no attempt to trick anyone with what they were clicking. The OP simply put up a mock that he found to discuss. If any of you don't care for Bleacher Report then don't come to this thread.

It has been stated ad nauseam that most don't prefer Bleacher Report. We get it. How many posters on here though have put up their own mock? Some have made multiple mocks. Enjoy the thread and/or conversation or don't. I personally don't care for BR as the slide presentation is incredibly annoying to me. That said I will still check into an article if it sounds interesting or someone points it out. If you don't then don't, but honestly have you read a Chris Chase (Yahoo) article? Or the countless drones at ESPN? They aren't exactly the best of the best and have tons of mindless drivel as well.

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that Bleacher Report is clearly in the thread title. The OP made no attempt to trick anyone with what they were clicking. The OP simply put up a mock that he found to discuss. If any of you don't care for Bleacher Report then don't come to this thread.

It has been stated ad nauseam that most don't prefer Bleacher Report. We get it. How many posters on here though have put up their own mock? Some have made multiple mocks. Enjoy the thread and/or conversation or don't. I personally don't care for BR as the slide presentation is incredibly annoying to me. That said I will still check into an article if it sounds interesting or someone points it out. If you don't then don't, but honestly have you read a Chris Chase (Yahoo) article? Or the countless drones at ESPN? They aren't exactly the best of the best and have tons of mindless drivel as well.

The problem is that these writers register on boards like ours to promote their articles, so THEY can be paid (I'm not saying this is the case this time). More often than not, they are not a part of this community and offer nothing than drive-by spam.

The problem is that these writers register on boards like ours to promote their articles, so THEY can be paid (I'm not saying this is the case this time). More often than not, they are not a part of this community and offer nothing than drive-by spam.

I didn't realize this happens but will of course bow to you and believe it to be true. I just get annoyed when people post on a thread and don't add anything to the conversation. Many came to this thread only to complain about the fact that BR was used instead of discussing the actual article itself. Just me complaining about complainers :P