For the Russell Wilson Fans

jocap55

As cliche as it sounds, his sister is proly the better athlete. She is in 8th grade and starts on varsity Basketball team..and is the best player on the team.

Yeah because that is certainly more impressive than playing QB at a major college.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOUR INCHES, and Wisconsin's Russell Wilson is a top QB prospect in the 2012 Draft. It's a bold statement, but when you consider the facts, it's true. Russell was the nation's most efficient college QB in 2011! With a 191.78 QB rating, he blew away his nearest competitor from a pro-style offense. -A young fellow by the name of Andrew Luck.

In fairness, however, Numbers CAN lie. Not often by direct misrepresentation of the truth, but rather, by omission. Numbers read simply as evidence, without regard for context, can say whatever you want them to say. So let's get a better picture of the person that is Russell Wilson. A task which, ironically, requires the consideration of more numbers. For instance, at 5'10" 5/8" Wilson isn't the size GM's look for in an NFL QB. Average size among the NFL's **elite passers is 6'3". Average size of an NFL tackle is between 6'4" and 6'7" That measurement alone should put Wilson at a disadvantage from a field-vision standpoint. Not only does a pro QB need to see over these goliaths, he also needs to accurately pass over them. A problem you say? Not for Wilson. The height of his Wisconsin O-line averaged a little over 6'6", yet he threw for over 3100 yards with a 72.8 completion percentage.

A fluke? Not quite. You see Wisconsin wasn't Wilson's first rodeo. Before transferring to Madison, Russell already had an outstanding career, at NC State. Between the 2009 and 2010 seasons he racked up 6,590 passing yards with 59 touchdowns, versus 25 INT's. He would leave the school with the NCAA record for most consecutive passes without an interception, as well as the record for most consecutive 300+ yard passing games. (2nd only to Phillip Rivers) In addition to terrorizing his opponents from the air, Wilson also rushed for an impressive 15 touchdowns between the 2010, and 2011 seasons. It's an insane amount of production by any standard, but still, -Folks can lean too much on college numbers. So how did his combine look? Here's a portion of the breakdown from NFLdraftscout.com

03/08/2012 - Each of Russell Wilson's passes was completed with laser-like precision - pass after pass after pass - 63 passes in all during his throwing session Wednesday at Pro Timing Day in the McClain Center. Wilson completed passes rolling to his right, rolling left and dropping back in the pocket. "A couple of the guys (scouts) made reference after Russell hit two or three of those deep balls that they would have stopped the workout - there was no reason to prove anything else,'' said Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema. "I think that he wants to get it out there that he's a very accurate passer.''

Chris Weinke, who worked with Russell at the IMG Madden Football Academy in Bradenton, Florida had this to say:

"This was an opportunity to come out and make a number of different throws - every throw that Russell will be asked to make on Sundays - and to throw the ball with accuracy,'' said Weinke, who's also training Michigan State's Kirk Cousins and Texas A & M's Ryan Tannehill. "For him to come out there and make over 60 throws and only miss a couple - and the ones he missed were good throws - proved that not only does he have the arm strength, but he's got great feet and his accuracy is impeccable. "I wanted to make sure in those 60 throws we covered every possible throw. Quite frankly, he did an unbelievable job. To me, he just put on one of the best QB performances I've seen in a long time ... He's one of the most special guys I've ever worked with.''

My conclusion? Numbers can lie about a player. People can lie about a player. However, ALL of the numbers and ALL of the people, simply cannot be lying about Russell Wilson.-Not when they're saying the same thing. Namely, that he is a gifted athlete, a ferocious competitior, and difference-maker on offense. It's been a dozen years since a Quarterback with these qualities has led Bills Nation to the playoffs. If memory serves me right, he wasn't your prototypical NFL height either.

** T. Brady, P. Manning, A. Rodgers, D. Brees, and regretably, I threw in Eli.

*STATS COURTESY OF ESPN, CBS SPORTS, AND ROB RANG.

Edited by #34fan

FOUR INCHES, and Wisconsin's Russell Wilson is a top QB prospect in the 2012 Draft. It's a bold statement, but when you consider the facts, it's true. Russell was the nation's most efficient college QB in 2011! With a 191.78 QB rating, he blew away his nearest competitor from a pro-style offense. -A young fellow by the name of Andrew Luck.

(...) at 5'10" 5/8" (Russel's height) isn't the size GM's look for in an NFL QB. Average size among the NFL's **elite passers is 6'3". Average size of an NFL tackle is between 6'4" and 6'7" That measurement alone should put Wilson at a disadvantage from a field-vision standpoint. Not only does a pro QB need to see over these goliaths, he also needs to accurately pass over them. A problem you say? Not for Wilson. The height of his Wisconsin O-line averaged a little over 6'6", yet he threw for over 3100 yards with a 72.8 completion percentage.

It's likely to be a no-sale to NFL coaches and GMs, sorry.

It reminds me of Chase Daniels, the Mizzou QB who went undrafted in 2009. Despite putting up amazing passing numbers,being a 2x Heisman candidate, and IMO being a far better QB overall than Blaine Gabbert, at 6'0" Daniels went undrafted (compared to the hyped-up Gabbert who "looks like you want your QB to look").

It worked out OK for Daniels, who won the backup spot at NO (since Drew Brees is 6' 0" they have reason to believe that a good QB can be 6'0")

Hopefully it will work out OK for Wilson, but his chances of being drafted high (despite a great college career) are mediocre.

Seneca Wallace would be another example of a good QB hampered by height - he's actually very accurate but at 5'11" he's never been able to persuade a team to give him a shot as starter, despite 31 TD to 17 INT

One factor is, in the NFL, the occasional "beast" lineman he faced with the Badgers is going to become every lineman, every down. It clearly hampers Fitzpatrick that he's relatively short for an NFL QB at 6'2" and has less view of how the play has actually developed - there are times when he throws the ball where he expects the receiver to be without being able to see that 'ain't no-one near', to the detriment of his completion percentage.

Wilson might be "all that", but I don't think you're going to sell Chix and Nailey on a 5'10" QB (sorry, but if you measure your height to 1/8 of an inch, you're shorter than you claim. Been there done that.)

I am all in on him. mid or late round draft pick.

He'd be available in RD5 or 6, but the Bills could take him with their #139 and be assured he'd be there. Not a bad price to pay for Wilson. I also wouldn't mind AJ Kinne or Patrick Witt.

I agree that numbers CAN lie, and that productivity is what SHOULD count....I immediately thought of Drew Brees when you began your opinion and explanation of Russell Wilson. Personally, I would take Russell Wilson over Tyler Thigpen any day of the week, given the sheer potential of Russell Wilson and the possibility of what he might do a year or two behind Fitzpatrick. I don't think he should be drafted before the 4th Round though, and not because of his height but b/c the BILLS have other holes to fill, those same positions discussed her ad nauseum, but would like to see Russell Wilson in a BILLS uniform if for nothing else to truly explore if they could catch lightning in a bottle....a somewhat small bottle, but lightning nonetheless....(and also thought of Flutie while you were discussing his height) and bottom line, these same Offensive lineman at NC State and Wisconsin are the same lineman who will be holding the line in the NFL, if he can do it at the highest level of college competition, he can most likely do it in the NFL assuming height is his only limitation

I like Wilson a lot and hope the Bills get him. IMO he's worth a 3rd round choice. He's very accurate and can run. His size is the only issue.

I will wear pink and cheer for the Jets if any NFL GM drafts a 5'10" quarterback in the 3rd round.

You may save this for reference. I loathe pink and I loathe the Jets.

If he has a reasonable shot of being a quality backup I can't see how it's a waste.

It's a waste because you don't use a top draft pick on a "quality backup." The Bills have needs at OL, WR, DB, and LB that would be better served with those top selections. If Wilson can be snagged in the 5th or later, then I'm all for it.