Bryan Scott Nexted?

I really like Scott. I especially like the fact he wants to be here. Not sure if resigning him is a smart choice. Id like Searcy to replace him.

That's why you keep both players and let them compete for a starting job.

What if they let Scott go only to find out that Searcy isn't up to the job?

The whole theme for this offseason… the drumbeat among fans… is to keep our players and stack talent…. not shuffle cards.

The whole theme for this offseason… the drumbeat among fans… is to keep our players and stack talent…. not shuffle cards.

I was assuming he is going to want a multi year deal. Some money up front, that type of thing.

What starting job? We've already got Byrd and Wilson starting at safety.

Not opposed to bringing back Scott but I believe the three safeties that will play are Wilson, Byrd and Searcy. Not sure if Searcy can push Wilson out of a job or if Searcy is so good that they let Wilson compete with Byrd for free safety spot. Maybe Searcy competes for SS starter in 2013. Regardless there are times when they have three safeties on the field and their will be packages/match ups where they will want Scott's and Searcy's size at SS.

PEOPLE

Scott Plays a hybrid role, and a LB IN OUR NICKEL PACKAGE.

He does not compete with Searcy.

Searcy is still our third safety.

He is like a Brad Smith of the Defense.

Are you sure he doesnt compete with Searcy? He plays both LB and SS on D. Are you saying he wont take playing time away from the kid? (that wasnt rhetorical btw)

Basically there are a bunch of moving parts here. The cost of signing him. Kirk's cover skills. Searcy's progression. DW's scheming preferences... and much more.

I heart says i'd like to have this guy back because he's a leader and plays hard wherever you put him. But my brain says he isnt a must sign unless its at a very good price.

Scott was a starter as a nickel/dime linebacker on passing downs.

Regardless of how you want to view him, my point remains the same:

No reason to let him go unless his demands (like Danny says) are not commensurate with the salary structure.

The guy's a good player, a respected veteran who knows the ropes, and also contributes on special teams.

I've always liked Scott as well. I also thought that Searcy would end up being a steal for us from last year's draft. Scott is very versitile and is a smart football player. You need guys like him on your team even if it is just in a backup/ST capacity. As long as he doesn't over value himself I'd take him back as well.

If you look on the Bills site, they are now listing him as an OLB. I hope this is accurate, and that they resign him. Draft another safety for depth, and let Scott and Barnett play pass defense in the nickel.

If you look on the Bills site, they are now listing him as an OLB. I hope this is accurate, and that they resign him. Draft another safety for depth, and let Scott and Barnett play pass defense in the nickel.

I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Don't get me started on that Searcy pick. The kid might be a good player but there were pass rushers available last year at that pick that are better than Ingram or Coples.

THE 2011 DRAFT was deep for pass rushing and we let them all get by us.

That was the pick to get our starting DE thus year. You can sign an old CB for depth at safety its a much easier position to fill.

I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Don't get me started on that Searcy pick. The kid might be a good player but there were pass rushers available last year at that pick that are better than Ingram or Coples.

THE 2011 DRAFT was deep for pass rushing and we let them all get by us.

That was the pick to get our starting DE thus year. You can sign an old CB for depth at safety its a much easier position to fill.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'm glad we didn't, given the change to a 4-3 this year.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'm glad we didn't, given the change to a 4-3 this year.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Sam Acho, was DE/LB Tweener. He could stand up in a 3-4 and put his hand down in a 4-3 front, perfect for a "hybrid defense". He won the "Academic Heisman" in 2011, He had a 4 year career at Texas. The smart, physical, senior pedigree that Nix looks for.

I was banging the gong for him Sam Acho all season. He fell perfectly in our lap in the 4th round. He would have been able to take the reigns from Merriman when he went down, and with the switch back to a 4-3 he is great for a pass rushing D-End, which is what he did for the second half of the season for the Cardinals.

His brother Emmanuel Acho is in the 2012 draft. I like him but not as much. He is not as much a tweener as Sam is, he is more of a LB, some project him as an ILB, but I think he still will be OLB I just don't know if he can be a DE.

Just saying you can find a backup safety in the CB trash heap.

Its hard to find Pass rushing talent, hence the Bills current predicament.

Are you saying you wish that wouldn't have made the pick, because it is possible that having a productive pass rusher would mean the Bills might stay will Edwards and the 3-4 hybrid?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Let's face it, our whole defense has trouble with tight ends.

Thus the need for a better pass rush.

I still hope Aaron Williams becomes the superior player they expect him to become… because I still think about the opportunity they had to draft Jabaal Sheard last year.

He looked great on video, was highly rated, was recruited by Wanny to Pitt, and finished his rookie season with 8.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles.

I was thrilled he was available at our pick… and wonder what Wanny had to say about him during draft prep.

Thus the need for a better pass rush.

I still hope Aaron Williams becomes the superior player they expect him to become… because I still think about the opportunity they had to draft Jabaal Sheard last year.

He looked great on video, was highly rated, was recruited by Wanny to Pitt, and finished his rookie season with 8.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles.

I was thrilled he was available at our pick… and wonder what Wanny had to say about him during draft prep.

Yes. And I like Williams, but there were missed opportunities that seemed obvious, even on draft day.

PEOPLE

I would have found a less obnoxious way to say it, but you're correct. Scott won't be competing for a safety slot, he'll continue to fill in at lb in the nickle.

PEOPLE

Exactly! Thank You...

He's also a Team Leader and a great Locker Room guy...He's going to be pretty cheap...I'd love to see him back... B-)

I'm not sure what you mean.

Sam Acho, was DE/LB Tweener. He could stand up in a 3-4 and put his hand down in a 4-3 front, perfect for a "hybrid defense". He won the "Academic Heisman" in 2011, He had a 4 year career at Texas. The smart, physical, senior pedigree that Nix looks for.

I was banging the gong for him Sam Acho all season. He fell perfectly in our lap in the 4th round. He would have been able to take the reigns from Merriman when he went down, and with the switch back to a 4-3 he is great for a pass rushing D-End, which is what he did for the second half of the season for the Cardinals.

His brother Emmanuel Acho is in the 2012 draft. I like him but not as much. He is not as much a tweener as Sam is, he is more of a LB, some project him as an ILB, but I think he still will be OLB I just don't know if he can be a DE.

Just saying you can find a backup safety in the CB trash heap.

Its hard to find Pass rushing talent, hence the Bills current predicament.

Are you saying you wish that wouldn't have made the pick, because it is possible that having a productive pass rusher would mean the Bills might stay will Edwards and the 3-4 hybrid?

I was not aware he could play DE.