Kony 2012

Discover oil in Africa.

People don't seem to be enough. Not to governments anyway. :wallbash:

Yeah, that solved all the problems in Congo and Sudan. A little oil will lubricate the tension and certainly not lead to tribal warfare or ethnic cleansing.

People can sound all offended when replying to the notion that nothing will change in African politics --- from the coups-d'etat, military dictatorships, tribalism and/or religion determining who wins 'elections' and divvies up that country's spoils to benefit their own group, tribalism turning into war/genocide, drug-lords / warlords who carve out swaths of control, a fundamental breakdown between the electorate and people who are actually in charge and even after the 'Arab Spring' it's largely just changed the faces and places of who grasps onto power, weak central governments among both leaders who we hate and leaders we hope can change things (i.e. Sirleaf), limited resources and particularly limited agricultural means. Reduced prescription drug costs that businesses are coerced and guilted into eating. Loan forgiveness after loan forgiveness when G-Whatever Western/industrialized nations and their programs are hitting the snide and our coffers are finally !@#$ing empty and now some people here are waking up to the fact that we as American businesses and citizens are going to be forced to pay for all this aid that we've put onto our credit card.

People can sound all offended at these notions that this is largely what the continent is and how things have gone for time out mind, but their offense that is taken can't outweigh the reality. It is stuck in a slow motion between nothing will change and change happens in millimeters.

We can wish it changes for the better all we want, but as the saying goes, you can wish in one hand and stevestojan in the other and see which gets filled first. But then, the cost and feasibility of 'changing hearts and minds'... we can't do this. Beyond any discussion of ought we do this, is it our place, absent pressing situations (and even then...). We can't do this to our public anymore. We can't do this. If NGOs and charities and the Peace Corps want to do what they can, great. But there have been so many well-meaning things we've done that have just turned to stevestojan and been a total waste.

We live in a corrupt world that will only get worse as governments and world-governing bodies grow out of control.

This is another example of why the UN is pointless and should be bounced from NYC ASAP. How much of our tax dollars go to this joke of an organization that does nothing? Isn't this the exact type of situation they should be stopping?

It's a bit of a long video, but well worth the watch

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Liberal/Conservative, I don't think any of us want to see this bastard live to see another day.

Yeah, they'll get right on that, right after we finish up with the Interahamwe. <_<

Yeah, that solved all the problems in Congo and Sudan. A little oil will lubricate the tension and certainly not lead to tribal warfare or ethnic cleansing.

I realize that. It is just hard to watch stuff like that happen. I do realize that what Yukon Jimmy says is pretty much on point but if a few kids get saved it is better than none. What this guy is doing is personal to him and he is trying to get help. It may not solve the whole problem but it is likely to help at least a few people and that is never a bad thing.

But this is different! It's new and shiny!

And people are putting up posters! No, seriously, they just interviewed the guy who made the video on one of the morning shows that that's what he said.

The only sensible way to deal with the Konys of the world is with a big bomb. But all the same 'activists' that are charged up over Kony tend to be the same crowd that screams about the US using force to intervene in countries with lots of non-white people so I guess someone else will have to take care of this problem.

And they should be a priority to the taxpayer why?

I didn't read where he said taxpayer. We may not be able to fix it and the government probably can't but you can't blame the guy for not ignoring it. Who knows what can happen? Maybe nothing will. Maybe some straw of awareness will break some camel's back. There are lots of situations in history where it looked like nothing could be done and you know what:

Sometimes nothing is done and kids keep getting kidnapped and turned into killers

Sometimes something is done and it fails miserably

Sometimes something is done and it helps.