Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

You realize that isn't always the answer right? Washington and the Raiders have signed/traded a ton of guys, they both suck.

I doubt any level-headed person in here thinks that the Bills being more active in free agency would mean that they'd throw big money at all the top guys. They do need to be a bit more active though. They are never going to be able to strengthen up the depth of this team through the draft alone. It does seem like a near ideal time to move up from the C-list free agents up to the B-listers. They're close and a few good moves could move them much closer to ending that playoff drought.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it BC. You believe in Buddy Nix and don't understand why others don't. My opinion is based in their 10-22 record in 2010-11, starter and depth needs all over the field, and a history the past 4 off-seasons of not spending on free agents. It is for these reasons and others that I don't trust the organization to do the right thing, not just Nix.

Buddy ultimately reports to Jeff Littmann, who controls RW's piggy bank. If you think Nix operates unilaterally and with a budget comparable to the average team, you'd be wrong. And it's mystifying why you're concerned with RW's money, as this is the built-in excuse why Buffalo can't be in the sweepstakes for a key free agent.

No one's talking about spending 100M on a guy like Mario Williams or otherwise the off-season being failure. I want to see the team build, not merely replace players and keep on a flat trajectory and there are a few players who might fit and get them above being mediocre. Because that's what they've been since 2000.

That really overstates my position. My point has no direct connection to whether we think Buddy is doing a good job. We don't know yet if Buddy's plan is going to work, or if it's even smart.

My point is I am sick of people bringing up points that fly in the face of the evidence and are otherwise irrelevent to argue/imply that he sucks/Ralph is cheap/noone wants to live in Buffalo... blah blah blah.

I'm tired of everyone saying they won't sign anyone when OBD is making it so clear they fully intend to.

What they've done in the past as far as pursuing FA is irrelevent since they already admit they don't usually (and won't much in the future). They're saying they see this year differently. I've never heard Nix say that before - so what's the argument for disputing him?

As for the financial side - you'd really have to think Nix is beyond stupid to think he's talking publicly about spending money he hasn't already discussed with Littman and Wilson. I'm sure they give him a budget. I'm also sure Nix already knows what that budget is - so again, why would he overstate their position now? Add Chris Brown to that list. They aren't so stupid they don't know they are raising expectations with their talk.

As for Williams @$100M - yeah - DE is tough this year. I'd be happy enough with a next-level guy at DE simply because I don't think there's anyone out there better and the prices will be even more inflated than usual.

If you read Brown's blog today after the SJ signing - he closed it by yet again reminding us that OBD is targeting adding ANOTHER WR. Maybe they'll do it - maybe not - but what's the logical case for arguing they aren't serious when the whole team has been repeating it since January?

1330969729[/url]' post='2395776']

Those types of moves would help, but there's just no strong or dominant unit on this team.

o O-line is still a big questions mark. What's the starting lineup next year? Who goes down again?

o QB is still a big question mark in my mind. Fitz has proved prone to the big mistake and INT.

o WR. Showed some promise early, but they do need a go-to recevier. I agree.

o D-line is still a work in progress. Bills have lacked a pash rush for so long I almost forget what one looks like. They probably need 2 DE's in reality.

o LB corp: I don't know. Who starts where in the 4-3?

o Secondary is getting old very quick. But they do have some young guys that show some promise. We'll see.

o The entire D is getting old. Look at all the guys 30 and over on this D.

There's going to be some adjustment going back to the 4-3 I would imagine, and Chan has shown to be a liability as O coordinator

with his inability to adjust IMO.

That's a lot of things to overcome and win 10 or 11 games and make the playoffs if you ask me.

The running backs are most definitely a strong and dominant unit. Funny how you state every unit except the RBs

Great getting Stevie J in the fold. Sends a very positive message around the NFL that we are not a bunch of clowns any longer. And you have got to be at least mildly excited that our GM says we will be AGGRESSIVE in free agency. To me that means we are not going to wait around, but will be going after solid NFL starters at positions of need immmediately after the bell rings. So what if we don't get Mario Williams. There are plenty of solid other DE's to go after that will improve this team. I predict at least three very solid signings in free agency. How many of you want Marcus Colston? The man is AWESOME. What a compliment to Stevie J. I think we will go after a DE and someone who can be a number one cornerback like Courtlan Finnegan. (some nastiness at the position) We get 3 studs at DE,WR,CB and than we open up so many possibilities on draft day. I see OT in first round if we can get a very solid WR in free agency. Maybe even trading down to fill a bunch of needs, Including getting a QB,a TE who can RUN, and some LB's who are actually players, not slow moving pylons like Danny Batten and Arthur Moats. You all have GOT TO BE EXCITED!! I sure am.

That really overstates my position. My point has no direct connection to whether we think Buddy is doing a good job. We don't know yet if Buddy's plan is going to work, or if it's even smart.

My point is I am sick of people bringing up points that fly in the face of the evidence and are otherwise irrelevent to argue/imply that he sucks/Ralph is cheap/noone wants to live in Buffalo... blah blah blah.

I'm tired of everyone saying they won't sign anyone when OBD is making it so clear they fully intend to.

What they've done in the past as far as pursuing FA is irrelevent since they already admit they don't usually (and won't much in the future). They're saying they see this year differently. I've never heard Nix say that before - so what's the argument for disputing him?

As for the financial side - you'd really have to think Nix is beyond stupid to think he's talking publicly about spending money he hasn't already discussed with Littman and Wilson. I'm sure they give him a budget. I'm also sure Nix already knows what that budget is - so again, why would he overstate their position now? Add Chris Brown to that list. They aren't so stupid they don't know they are raising expectations with their talk.

As for Williams @$100M - yeah - DE is tough this year. I'd be happy enough with a next-level guy at DE simply because I don't think there's anyone out there better and the prices will be even more inflated than usual.

If you read Brown's blog today after the SJ signing - he closed it by yet again reminding us that OBD is targeting adding ANOTHER WR. Maybe they'll do it - maybe not - but what's the logical case for arguing they aren't serious when the whole team has been repeating it since January?

Here is an article from a couple years ago in regards to Buddy Nix and free agency. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11820/nix-wasnt-afraid-to-snooze-on-free-agency

Here is an article from this year in regards to Buddy and free agency. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/buddy-nix-well-be-aggressive-for-a-difference-maker-in-free-agency/

Before he said we wouldn't be major players in FA and we weren't. Why say we will be big players now and then not do it? He's been true to his word and I expect more of the same.

The running backs are most definitely a strong and dominant unit. Funny how you state every unit except the RBs

I stand corrected. Running backs are strong unit. They were not omitted intentionally. :thumbsup:

Love Freddy.

Avril got tagged this morning.

I think they're going to let Bell test the market - with his injury history it's hard to imagine a team would want to give him much if anything up front.

If they "lose" Bell I think the chances they draft an OLT with the #10 go way up.

Good point - Shanny's been the first coach to get Danny boy under control.

As you probably already know the speculation is heating up, including today, that the Skins are ready to offer the Rams a boatload of picks, including a first round pick this year and next, to put themselves in position to draft Griffin III, the qb out of Baylor. Although many people believe that the Skins might be mortgaging the future for a qb prospect they still can somewhat absorb the lost of the draft prospects by bringing in a number of mid-tier free agents. Shanny put the team in position to acquire a "possible" franchise qb by getting rid of a lot of high priced veterans over the past couple of years to create the cap space.

I don't believe the Bills have to splurge in the free agent market to significantly upgrade this year's roster. By adding a couple of defensive assets, adding a receiver and maybe upgrading the TE position and having a solid draft that includes an upper tier OT prospect this team is then in position to step up. Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Probably not. But moving forward and doing it the right way is a major step forward.

I may be jumping the gun here but Shanny and Nix both seem to have sensible plans and a belief in the plan to impliment it, even when there are some bumps in the road . Instead of simply looking at the immediate record of a team it is more important that a blueprint is established by the organization and followed through. Constantly making organizational and staffing changes because of short-term setbacks is a recipe for long-term failure.

The Pats say hello. Back when they were winning their team was loaded with FA contributors. Vrabel, Harrison, Cox, Phifer, Hamilton, Pleasant were starters alone on defense who were FA's. But who's counting. Clausen?

The Eagles sucked because Vick took a nose dive, Desean malfucntioned and Castillio was a train wreck at DC. Babin had 18 sacks.

You're missing a big point about those two teams. A lot of those free agents weren't day 1 blockbuster break the bank free agents. Philly got overpriced, overhyped free agents.

Colts franchise Robert Mathis, sides close to long-term deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/colts-franchise-robert-mathis-sides-close-to-long-term-deal/

Dwayne Bowe gets the franchise tag

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/dwayne-bowe-gets-the-franchise-tag/

Team Franchise tag

Arizona Cardinals DE Calais Campbell | More ...

Atlanta Falcons CB Brent Grimes | More ...

Baltimore Ravens RB Ray Rice | More ...

Buffalo Bills Not applied

Carolina Panthers Not applied

Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte | More ...

Cincinnati Bengals K Mike Nugent | More ...

Cleveland Browns K Phil Dawson | More ...

Dallas Cowboys LB Anthony Spencer | More ...

Denver Broncos K Matt Prater | More ...

Detroit Lions DE Cliff Avril | More ...

Green Bay Packers Not applied

Houston Texans Not applied

Indianapolis Colts DE Robert Mathis | More ...

Jacksonville Jaguars K Josh Scobee | More ...

Kansas City Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe | More ...

Miami Dolphins Not applied

Minnesota Vikings Not applied

New England Patriots WR Wes Welker | More ...

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees | More ...

New York Giants P Steve Weatherford

New York Jets Not applied

Oakland Raiders S Tyvon Branch | More ...

Philadelphia Eagles WR DeSean Jackson | More ...

Pittsburgh Steelers Not applied

San Diego Chargers Not applied

San Francisco 49ers S Dashon Goldson | More ...

Seattle Seahawks Not applied

St. Louis Rams Not applied

Tampa Bay Buccaneers K Connor Barth | More ...

Tennessee Titans S Michael Griffin | More ...

Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis | More ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82756d1c/article/teams-that-have-used-franchise-tags-on-2012-free-agents?module=HP11_content_stream

Edited by papazoid

Yes, your take on Clausen is still hilarious. Still can't believe the Bills didn't spend a 1st on that stud. :devil:

And for the most part, the guys you named where very minor FA signing except for the Roid head Harrison. Vrabel bounced around the league and the rest of those guys were old guys at the end of their career. Those are the guys you need. Still, I think guys like Brady, Light, Seymour, Brushi, Law, (draft picks) had more to do with them winning than Roman Phifer. but that's jsut me.

You never seem to mention that you were leading the charge for LeFevour (3rd/4th team now?) but then again you are pretty good at believing your own BS.

Re: the Pats. Of course they were mid tier but they were starters who contributed. Light and Seymour were rookies btw. Actually 10 starters were Free Agents. My point is that there have been plenty of mid tier FA's that could have helped this team last year but instead of paying guys like Manny Lawson next to nothing, Buddy thought he had a real gem in Spencer Johnson and Danny Batten.

CB97 you are in full BB defense mode, you must be all roided up for the spring. Now say somehing like, "You would never say these things to Buddy's face!" I love when you say that! :lol:

Then we better get the wallet out and pay Mario Williams the big bucks. If we don't attempt to get him, then Nix was pulling our leg.

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or not.....but Mario is gonna cost the farm. I really dont think we are going to be in that sweepstakes. I think we will grab a 2nd tier vet DE and another DE in round 2.

So Nix keeps hinting that they will be aggressive in free agency. I tend to believe him. This team is a lot closer than it has been in a long time. We competed with contenders last year. If it was not for the injury bug, I think the team would have made the playoffs. I also believe there is not a first round worthy DE at pick number 10. So are we gounod after Mario?? If not whom? The only other name that could be worth it is Matthis. I also see us sign another wr. I see either Colston or Garcon. Although Nix my favor Jackson.

And we also need to bring back the old bills trainer from the wade Phillips era. I can't think of his name but we never had that many injuries when he was around.

DE Mario Williams and WR Vincent Jackson....one can only hope.

Kevin Acee of the Union-Trib (who has been right about everything chargers) reports that “it is believed” the Bills have interest in Jackson even after Monday’s five-year, $36.25 million Stevie Johnson deal. Buffalo is oozing in cap space after a rollover from last year, and it sounds like G.M. Buddy Nix is ready and willing to spend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/bills-rumored-to-have-interest-in-vincent-jackson/

Here is an article from a couple years ago in regards to Buddy Nix and free agency. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11820/nix-wasnt-afraid-to-snooze-on-free-agency

Here is an article from this year in regards to Buddy and free agency. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/buddy-nix-well-be-aggressive-for-a-difference-maker-in-free-agency/

Before he said we wouldn't be major players in FA and we weren't. Why say we will be big players now and then not do it? He's been true to his word and I expect more of the same.

This is the reason i started this thread. Buddy has stuck tp his word before. I really believe we will go after a big name free agent more so for DE than WR. If Matthis got tagged it leaves Mario.

At wr, i would love Colston or Garcon. I think either would complement Stevie well. Colston better than Garcon. I would also love a couple mid tier OL as backups.

Notable NFL free agents in the 2012 class

NFL.com

Published: Feb. 16, 2012 at 07:26 p.m.

Updated: March 5, 2012 at 04:33 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82706e3a/article/notable-nfl-free-agents-in-the-2012-class?module=HP11_cp

Wow,

Dallas' Laurent Robinson ended up with

54 catches for 858 yard and 11 td's last year

plus, he's 6' 2"

hmmmmmm

This is the reason i started this thread. Buddy has stuck tp his word before. I really believe we will go after a big name free agent more so for DE than WR. If Matthis got tagged it leaves Mario.

At wr, i would love Colston or Garcon. I think either would complement Stevie well. Colston better than Garcon. I would also love a couple mid tier OL as backups.

It is great to see the Bills "close enough" to see if they can make a strategic strike in Free Agency and then - based on their success/failure - to fill the remaining holes and need for depth in the draft. If the reports that Vincent Jackson is going to garner $11 mil+......I'd rather go for Mario at 6 years $100 (trying to limit as much as possible the guaranteed money). Then try to sign Laurent Robinson FA Dallas at WR. He should be obtainable in the 4 year $16 - $20 mil range. Then in the draft, go OT (Martin at pick 10) an then trade up to get DE Whitney Mercilus (or hope he fall to us ).

The key Free Agent is Mario in my opinion as he makes EVERYONE behind him better and with Dareus/Williams/Kelsay....egad we'd have a GREAT defensive line.