Negative Buzz from the Combine...

biggerdaddynj

Thought it would be fun if we all collaborated on a thread that focuses on the negative things we've heard coming from the Combine about players we think are on the Bills' radar. Since I'm particularly interested with Buddy's getting us a WR who is "uncovered when he's covered", I've been checking into the big-bodied WRs available this year (fortunately, there are a lot). One guy I thought might be of interest in the 2nd or 3rd was Dwight Jones from UNC. Well, after finding this nugget, I hope the Bills will just say no to "Mr. Jones":

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, position coaches at the Combine "jumped all over" North Carolina WR Dwight Jones in on-field drills for disobeying instructions and a lack of hustle. Jones apparently ran a bad route at one point in drills and didn't hustle to the other area of the field, where the quarterback placed his pass. Russ Lande of Sporting News also noted that Jones had similar problems at the Senior Bowl, specifically in terms of effort. Though long on potential at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds with 34-inch arms and mid-4.5s speed, Jones has now been flagged as a character risk in an incredibly deep receiver class. Feb. 26 - 1:37 pm et

Anybody got somethng they'd like to share???

1330402230[/url]' post='2390738']

If you draft arguably the best receiver in the draft at #10, you wouldn't have to worry about these scrubs.

Draft Michael Floyd.

We CAN agree wss!!! I think he'll be the best bpa (most likely, unless someone slips). Draft him then go front seven with the 2nd, 3rd and maybe both 4ths. Draft another Wr late, I think there's great value down there.

As far as Jones, I'm glad he has character issues. Maybe we can steal him with a 4th. He impresses me on the field. Adding Floyd and jones would mean a lot to this team. Not like it'll happen, but we can dream.

I think there's a little negative buzz about Upshaw because he was a stiff D lineman testing with LBs. The combine did nothing for Courtney Upshaw. I almost don't care who they take...as long as it's front 7.

I agree if I didn't know who the prospects are, however Coples and Ingram are not special at Upshaw is an awkward fit on this team.

So taking a Front7 prospect in the 2012 draft will likely be a reach. It would be a poor decision by the Bills to reach on a Front7 talent when there are some world class OTs and WRs available at #10 overall.

I agree if I didn't know who the prospects are, however Coples and Ingram are not special at Upshaw is an awkward fit on this team.

So taking a Front7 prospect in the 2012 draft will likely be a reach. It would be a poor decision by the Bills to reach on a Front7 talent when there are some world class OTs and WRs available at #10 overall.

I agree. I wasn't overly impressed with Upshaw's explosion in the three games I watched him play this season. Granted, it was a small sample and I was hoping he would impress at his next job interview, the Senior Bowl. In the game he was absolutely owned by Mike Adams and again showed lack of explosion and athleticism. So I was hoping he'd take the 6 weeks between then and now to really improve on his athletic skills going into the combine and once again I came away unimpressed.

I'm hoping the Bills can address their front 7 concerns in FA and perhaps find better value in the draft after the first round. I've gotta think some of these guys are gonna fall.

GO BILLS!!!

Things I didn't like:

Jeffrey, was he even at Indianapolis?

Kendall Wright and Burfict, unprepared and dissapointing

Upshaw, I wanted to see his 10 yard split but he refused to run, he showed stiff hips on LB drills.

Vinnie Curry, ran a poor 40 and then dissapeared.

Acho's injury, I hope he is ok.

Mike Mayock's statement on the DL's.... I love the DT's and HATE the DE's, that says it all about our position of need. Oh, and this gem, off of tape study, he wouldn't draft Quintin Coples in the first, second, or third rounds! OUCH!!!

Of all the draft gurus out there, I trust Mayock. He seems to be the only one who really does his homework and backs up what he says. I think Nix and company will go OL in round 1, then hit the front 7 in rounds 2-5, with a WR in the mix. Listening to Nix the other day on his impression of talent in the middle rounds, I think he and Mayock are on the same page.

Anybody worried about the three alcohol related incidents he's had. The frst two are forgivable being a college student, the DUI a bit more serious. I'm not a "holier than thou" type of person but the three taken together do lead me to question his motives/judgement. Last thing we want is out top pick sitting out games because of DUIs.

Anybody worried about the three alcohol related incidents he's had. The frst two are forgivable being a college student, the DUI a bit more serious. I'm not a "holier than thou" type of person but the three taken together do lead me to question his motives/judgement. Last thing we want is out top pick sitting out games because of DUIs.

I am worried. Especially in Buffalo. Other cities driving while intoxicated will make you a pariah and in Buffalo its much more accepted on a large scale.

Thats where the scouts need to interview and talk to ND coaching staff, ND administrative, and ND security staff. The DUI was on campus which makes it in my eyes a worse decision that the already poor decision to get behind the wheel. You couldn't have walked a few miles, took a campus bus, or grabbed a cab? Come on man.

Now people do learn from mistakes. Floyd was suspended, almost for the entire year and was close to heading to the supplemental draft. That is the scary close to life altering mistake that may change someone's future actions.

If he thinks he walks on water and is entitled to be a first round pick no matter what he does in his personal life, than you have to stay away.

If that is the case then you can get Mike Adams (who had his own character issues with the Tattoo thing (mild imo) and now he had a weak bench press numbers, for a huge guy like that is more of red flag imo) or if Martin is there. Where I think Martin is pretty much a sure thing.

Either way there isn't a Front7 guy that is BPA over those three and is very likely that Martin, Floyd or Adams will be there at #10.

Edited by Why So Serious?

chan already said they wanted a pure DE not hybrid player. at the moment i still would like coples and think it would be a good match.

alshon jeffry was there and showed up at 217lbs but wasnt doing any drills and is saving it for his pro day. wouldnt be surprised if he rips up his pro day

I think there's a little negative buzz about Upshaw because he was a stiff D lineman testing with LBs. The combine did nothing for Courtney Upshaw. I almost don't care who they take...as long as it's front 7.

I think his team mate Donte Hightower showed who was the better of the two at the combine !! Hightower looked real good in his work out i thought but i'm no football scout thats for sure !!

Posted this is another topic but I suppose it belongs here too:

Apparently Poe was voted Second-Team All-Conference USA.

http://profootballta...took-plays-off/

"CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman interviewed one veteran college offensive line coach who game planned against Poe in Conference USA. The position coach gave Poe mixed reviews.

“He’s probably the best talent I’ve seen in several years,” said the assistant. “He took plays off and wasn’t a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent.”

Feldman suggested that most oversized defensive linemen take some snaps off.

“Yeah,” the coach conceded. “But he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn’t require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. … I’m not at all surprised to hear that he’s blowing up at the Combine, at all.”

Mike Mayock's statement on the DL's.... I love the DT's and HATE the DE's, that says it all about our position of need. Oh, and this gem, off of tape study, he wouldn't draft Quintin Coples in the first, second, or third rounds! OUCH!!!

Yep, great news for us. All they did was talk about how each of the guys we have on our boards as 43 DEs will be able to play as 34 LBs.