Negative Buzz from the Combine...

biggerdaddynj

I think his team mate Donte Hightower showed who was the better of the two at the combine !! Hightower looked real good in his work out i thought but i'm no football scout thats for sure !!

I like him a lot too, if he is in the second might be a great pick or lasts til the third (highly unlikely I know)totally would be worth it.

I get that the players should take it serious, but since most the franchises dont really put too much stock in the combine, are we not holding the players to a double standard?

With todays technology and media coverage, teams have their minds made up really as to what they are thinking about a guy. Maybe a handful of guys can catch some teams attention, negative or positive. But it is not what it was 20 years ago.

I get that the players should take it serious, but since most the franchises dont really put too much stock in the combine, are we not holding the players to a double standard?

With todays technology and media coverage, teams have their minds made up really as to what they are thinking about a guy. Maybe a handful of guys can catch some teams attention, negative or positive. But it is not what it was 20 years ago.

I don't think teams take the combine as gospel. Most teams should make the majority of their decisions based on game tape.

however, when a player shows up out of shape and post terrible numbers, it is a huge red flag. This is a huge job interview and there is no excuse not to be ready for it. It can give a predictor of the mindset of certain players. Newton was pretty much assured of going #1 overall but he still throw and competed at the combined. By all accounts, he didn't do great throwing the ball but he competed. That's what teams want to see along with most importantly gametape.

What about Perry says 42 and not 22....or 10? Lack of hype?

It has nothing to do with Perry's hype, (and are you getting me, Perry has gotten nothing but hype coming out of the combine . . .)

Its about scarcity.

You can find guys similar to Perry easier.

You can not find guys similar to Michael Floyd, Mike Adams, or Jonathan Martin.

The Bills have more than 1 need and need to get the most impactful player possible at #10 overall.

Michael Floyd is a guy that is "Uncovered when he is covered."

Most scouts think Jonathan Martin is a Day 1 starter that should still be playing well in 10 years.

That is a huge impact.

If you get Andre Branch @ #42 is there really a huge delta between his impact and Perry's?

I don't think the same can be said at the WR level, There is a huge difference between Sanu and Floyd. Huuuuggee Delta.

When it comes to the second and third tier tackles. There is a huge delta between Nate Potter and Jonathan Martin. Huuugge Delta.

That is why Perry is not an intelligent pick at #10 overall.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Upshaw supposedly scored a 9 on the Wonderlic.

Yeah, and Ray Lewis scored a 13 on the Wonderlic and Frank Gore a 6.....so what? Most overrated NFL evaluation tool ever. We're not drafting a guy to do our taxes. We're drafting a person who we want to go out there on Sundays, become a savage beast, and destroy people.

IMO...the Wonderlic test means more for QB's than any other position. In terms of construct validity, I'm not so sure how these scores translate to success on the football field.

More negative buzz--this time from Charlie Casserly (via ProFootballTalk):

"We’ve talked a lot about the standouts at the just-completed NFL Scouting Combine, but what players may have hurt their stock?

According to Charley Casserly of NFL.com, highly rated Alabama defenders Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick are on the list.

Upshaw lacked the explosion that you’d like to see from an edge rusher according to Casserly. Kirkpatrick’s cornerback drills were lacking and he didn’t display the burst you’d like to see from a potential top-15 pick. It’s possible Janoris Jenkins could pass Kirkpatrick as the No. 2 cornerback in the draft.

UNC defensive end Quinton Couples is also mentioned as someone that struggled. While Coples ran a ridiculous forty time for his size, his work in the drills left something to be desired.

Of course, not everyone watching the workout is going to agree with Casserly. It only takes one team to fall in love, and Coples seems especially likely to make one team reach high for him in the draft."

Edited by biggerdaddynj