netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

i've been pretty disappointed in "recommended for you" picks. the lesser known things i've watched and liked were mostly found by trial and error. any sleeper movies, series that you would recommend?

i'll start with one of each i've found recently:

"cashback": a british flick about freezing time

"doc martin": a british series set in cornwall about a grumpy surgeon who develops a blood phobia and becomes a gp. feel free to include sleepers from other sites such as amazon prime and in any genre.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of Asian movies I watched this year that I enjoyed better than any 2011 mainstream, Hollywood offerings.

First "Castaway On The Moon" Great movie about a guy marooned on a river island in urban Seoul I believe. All the time he has a fan watching him from a apartment building across the river. Nice twist. This one is 2009

The second one is"I Saw The Devil". This starts out to be the typical serial killer murders girlfriend and boyfriend seeks revenge(Like any Liam Neeson film lately) but the fiance is not just satisfied with killing the guy, he wants to make him suffer like his girlfriend did. A unique spin on the genre. Just a warning this one has over the top graphic gore. Almost to the point it makes you chuckle. Couldn't take my eyes off this flick. THis one is 2011. I recommend both of these movies highly.

Edited by Dante

i've been pretty disappointed in "recommended for you" picks. the lesser known things i've watched and liked were mostly found by trial and error. any sleeper movies, series that you would recommend?

"doc martin": a british series set in cornwall about a grumpy surgeon who develops a blood phobia and becomes a gp. feel free to include sleepers from other sites such as amazon prime and in any genre.

saw cashback, and Castaway on the moon .... both very good. Really liked Lillyhammer (sp)

arrested development

If you are into the original Sherlock Holmes (and not that Robert Downey abomination), check out the Brit series called Sherlock which re-imagines SH in modern day London. They have retained the essence of the character while giving him the luxury of modern technology. Series one had 3 episodes and they are a doozy. Series 2 is airing across the pond now and should be on Netflix in a couple of months.

If you are into the original Sherlock Holmes (and not that Robert Downey abomination), check out the Brit series called Sherlock which re-imagines SH in modern day London. They have retained the essence of the character while giving him the luxury of modern technology. Series one had 3 episodes and they are a doozy. Series 2 is airing across the pond now and should be on Netflix in a couple of months.

Sounds good. I'll definitely check that out. It's a shame there are so many good shows that are streaming that I'll never have the time to watch.

will check this out also. never heard of Starblazers but will have to take a look. i don't know why i seem to like the british tv series more often than us series (maybe because they're often actually aimed at adults?). need something to replace "downton abbey" which finished its season last night.

will check this out also. never heard of Starblazers but will have to take a look. i don't know why i seem to like the british tv series more often than us series (maybe because they're often actually aimed at adults?). need something to replace "downton abbey" which finished its season last night.

After having been turned off by the concept when they first announced it, I've gotta say that I enjoyed "Sherlock" a lot. The guy who plays Jim Moriarty in the last ep is a great character.

But yes, Brit teevee is doing it a lot better than American. We're heavily into cops, lawyers, family/friend comedy and reality and pretty much anything else just drowns. I can't explain for the life of me how people can watch multiple iterations of the same exact theme of crime and punishment, comedy centered around sex and sarcasm, and "talent" shows. They are such cheap problem-solution narrative and mindless entertain-me-with-cover-song crap. The few good series on today are on cable. If you're not watching "Breaking Bad" something is seriously wrong with you.

At least the Brits try things. I didn't know Doc Martin was on streaming; it's airing on one of my local PBSs, and it's watchable enough, but week-to-week is just not how I like to watch shows. I'm also hooked on Doctor Who (Netflix has the first 5 seasons of the resurrected run).

If you are in the mood for a good creature/horror movie, then I suggest you check out the 2007 Australian flick "Rogue".

For a movie about a killer crocodile, it delivers some good tense moments.

It also has a lot of recognizable faces: Sam Worthington, Michael Vartan, Radha Mitchell & Mia Wasikowska.

There is a foreign film on streaming getting a lot of buzz called Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. Here is the RT link...

rotten tomatoes score = 95%

And for those who missed it, check out my Lilyhammer thread...that's a fun show to watch, as well.

Edited by ajzepp

will check this out also. never heard of Starblazers but will have to take a look.

It's a sci-fi anime cartoon. Don't bother. (Although, to it's credit, it was more adult than, say "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman.")

I'm only psyched because it was a none-too-small part of mine and my brother's childhood.