H2o Mock Round 1

H2o

Pre-combine and workouts this is what I got:

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck/QB/Stanford - Is there really any doubt?

2. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon/WR/Oklahoma St. - Lloyd is all but gone and they have no one else. Fisher and Co. get the most dynamic player in the draft. Bradford says "Thank you".

3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil/OT/USC - The biggest change to that team last year was the loss of McKinnie on offense. Now they get a top tier replacement.

4. Cleveland Browns - Kendall Wright/WR/Baylor - Surprise! Cleveland is not taking RG III and you will see why later. I don't think RG III is a "Holmgren QB". Shanahan wets his pants.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne/CB/LSU - Ronde is pushing 40 and Talib is a knucklehead. This is a need and the BPA.

6. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III/QB/Baylor - The Redskins have long awaited a franchise QB, longer than us I believe. Here you go Skins' fans.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - David DeCastro/OG/Stanford - He will help with Gabbert seeing ghosts in the pocket and is possibly the best OL'man in the draft.

8. Miami Dolphins - Melvin Ingram/DE/South Carolina - With a switch to the 4-3 coming they get a DE to be the bookend to Cameron Wake.

9. Carolina Panthers - Dre Kirkpatrick/CB/Alabama - Their defense needs help everywhere, but Rivera gets the most physical/playmaking CB in the draft. Good against the run and in coverage.

10. Buffalo Bills - Whitney Mercilus/DE/Illinois - We need a pass rush and this guy is it. Nix and Co. have seen the film and make the right choice.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Quinton Coples/DE/North Carolina - Coples could be Crennel's new Richard Seymour if his attitude is right. Romeo will keep him in line.

12. Seattle Seahawks - Michael Brockers/DT/LSU - The defense needs a front four who can get it done and Brockers is an excellent start for Carroll and Co.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Riley Reiff/OT/Iowa - Kolb, Skelton, or whoever will be happy that they spend a pick getting O-Line help.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Courtney Upshaw/OLB/Alabama - He will replace Anthony Spencer who will depart in FA.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Jonathan Martin/OT/Stanford - You have Peters on one side who was an All Pro and draft another with that potential? Vick is thankful. He will protect Vick's blindside.

16. New York Jets - Trent Richardson/RB/Alabama - Shonn Greene or Trent Richardson? Trent Richardson all day.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - Dont'a Hightower/ILB/Alabama - Maualuga may be on his way out if he can't stay out of trouble. Hightower is a Marvin Lewis type of LB.

18. San Diego Chargers - Mike Adams/OT/Ohio St. - Phillip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, and Co. need an OL. Adams is the best OT on the board.

19. Chicago Bears - Michael Floyd/WR/Notre Dame - Lord knows that Cutler didn't have much of anything outside of Forte, especially after letting Olsen go. The skid mark of Mike Martz.

20. Tennessee Titans - Cordy Glenn/OG/Georgia - Didn't know much about this guy until the Senior Bowl week. Versatile OL'man who seems to have helped himself a lot.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Janoris Jenkins/CB/North Alabama - After seeing what he was doing with his life he decided to get serious about football. Cincinnati gets a quality CB.

22. Cleveland Browns - Ryan Tannehill/QB/Texas A&M - McCoy gets one more year and Holmgren gets a QB to groom. A year on the bench and in practice will help if he is gonna make it.

23. Detroit Lions - Lamar Miller/RB/Miami - Jahvid Best is having some serious issues with racking up concussions. Smith is a flash in the pan. Miller is the long term answer.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alfonzo Dennard/CB/Nebraska - I know everyone saw Tebow and Thomas against the Steelers' secondary. Yeah.

25. Denver Broncos - Devon Still/DT/Penn St. - Bunkley looks resurrected in Denver, but they still need help.

26. Houston Texans - Mohamed Sanu/WR/Rutgers - Andre Johnson has needed a weapon on the other side since he's been in Houston and now he will have it.

27. New England Patriots - Nick Perry/OLB-DE/USC - I hate this for us, but it makes the most sense with who's on the board and what the Pats* need.

28. Green Bay Packers - Vinny Curry/OLB-DE/Marshall - Here's another guy who helped himself at the Senior Bowl. Really, the Pack just needs not to choke.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Mark Barron/SS/Alabama - And the defense just keeps going and going and going

30. San Francisco 49ers - Fletcher Cox/DE/Mississippi St. - They will continue to get even better and better.

31. New England Patriots - Chase Minnifield/CB/UVA - The Pats* will continue to try to make the defense better.

32. New York Giants - Coby Fleener/TE/Stanford - Fleener will be an upgrade to what they already have in NY. He will be more reminiscent of Shockey for Eli.

Mercilus is the anti Buddy Nix pick. Find a guy who produced over 2 or 3 seasons as a starter and that's your guy. I can say with a fair amount of confidence Mercilus will NOT be a Bill, not with the ghost of Aaron Maybin hanging around.

Just imagine that backlash. Another possible one year wonder, boom or bust Big Ten DE. I can't see it.

Gotta tell you, no way does St Louis make that pick at #2 as some team is going to give up the farm for RG3 to the Rams.

Unless.... the rams are probably in discussions among themselves right now if they should trade Sam Bradford (who is getting paid by the old CBA way). If they trade him they free up a ton of cash that they could use elsewhere, then they draft RG3 who might just be the better QB anyway. That way they get 2 #1 picks if they trade Bradford or the trade #2 overall pick, sweet dilemma to be in huh

RG3 will be the 2nd overall pick, just gotta sort out who will get him.

This is the second mock thread that has Cleveland passing on RG for Tannehill.

Holmgren would be burned at the stake if he passed on this guy, and made the fans suffer through McCoy for another season as they waited for...Tannehill .

Also, no one is going to give the Rams 2 1st rounders for Bradford, obviously.

2. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon/WR/Oklahoma St. - Lloyd is all but gone and they have no one else. Fisher and Co. get the most dynamic player in the draft. Bradford says "Thank you".

3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil/OT/USC - The biggest change to that team last year was the loss of McKinnie on offense. Now they get a top tier replacement.

4. Cleveland Browns - Kendall Wright/WR/Baylor - Surprise! Cleveland is not taking RG III and you will see why later. I don't think RG III is a "Holmgren QB". Shanahan wets his pants.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne/CB/LSU - Ronde is pushing 40 and Talib is a knucklehead. This is a need and the BPA.

6. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III/QB/Baylor - The Redskins have long awaited a franchise QB, longer than us I believe. Here you go Skins' fans.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - David DeCastro/OG/Stanford - He will help with Gabbert seeing ghosts in the pocket and is possibly the best OL'man in the draft.

8. Miami Dolphins - Melvin Ingram/DE/South Carolina - With a switch to the 4-3 coming they get a DE to be the bookend to Cameron Wake.

9. Carolina Panthers - Dre Kirkpatrick/CB/Alabama - Their defense needs help everywhere, but Rivera gets the most physical/playmaking CB in the draft. Good against the run and in coverage.

10. Buffalo Bills - Whitney Mercilus/DE/Illinois - We need a pass rush and this guy is it. Nix and Co. have seen the film and make the right choice.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Quinton Coples/DE/North Carolina - Coples could be Crennel's new Richard Seymour if his attitude is right. Romeo will keep him in line.

12. Seattle Seahawks - Michael Brockers/DT/LSU - The defense needs a front four who can get it done and Brockers is an excellent start for Carroll and Co.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Riley Reiff/OT/Iowa - Kolb, Skelton, or whoever will be happy that they spend a pick getting O-Line help.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Courtney Upshaw/OLB/Alabama - He will replace Anthony Spencer who will depart in FA.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Jonathan Martin/OT/Stanford - You have Peters on one side who was an All Pro and draft another with that potential? Vick is thankful. He will protect Vick's blindside.

16. New York Jets - Trent Richardson/RB/Alabama - Shonn Greene or Trent Richardson? Trent Richardson all day.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - Dont'a Hightower/ILB/Alabama - Maualuga may be on his way out if he can't stay out of trouble. Hightower is a Marvin Lewis type of LB.

18. San Diego Chargers - Mike Adams/OT/Ohio St. - Phillip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, and Co. need an OL. Adams is the best OT on the board.

19. Chicago Bears - Michael Floyd/WR/Notre Dame - Lord knows that Cutler didn't have much of anything outside of Forte, especially after letting Olsen go. The skid mark of Mike Martz.

20. Tennessee Titans - Cordy Glenn/OG/Georgia - Didn't know much about this guy until the Senior Bowl week. Versatile OL'man who seems to have helped himself a lot.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Janoris Jenkins/CB/North Alabama - After seeing what he was doing with his life he decided to get serious about football. Cincinnati gets a quality CB.

22. Cleveland Browns - Ryan Tannehill/QB/Texas A&M - McCoy gets one more year and Holmgren gets a QB to groom. A year on the bench and in practice will help if he is gonna make it.

23. Detroit Lions - Lamar Miller/RB/Miami - Jahvid Best is having some serious issues with racking up concussions. Smith is a flash in the pan. Miller is the long term answer.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alfonzo Dennard/CB/Nebraska - I know everyone saw Tebow and Thomas against the Steelers' secondary. Yeah.

25. Denver Broncos - Devon Still/DT/Penn St. - Bunkley looks resurrected in Denver, but they still need help.

26. Houston Texans - Mohamed Sanu/WR/Rutgers - Andre Johnson has needed a weapon on the other side since he's been in Houston and now he will have it.

27. New England Patriots - Nick Perry/OLB-DE/USC - I hate this for us, but it makes the most sense with who's on the board and what the Pats* need.

28. Green Bay Packers - Vinny Curry/OLB-DE/Marshall - Here's another guy who helped himself at the Senior Bowl. Really, the Pack just needs not to choke.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Mark Barron/SS/Alabama - And the defense just keeps going and going and going

30. San Francisco 49ers - Fletcher Cox/DE/Mississippi St. - They will continue to get even better and better.

31. New England Patriots - Chase Minnifield/CB/UVA - The Pats* will continue to try to make the defense better.

32. New York Giants - Coby Fleener/TE/Stanford - Fleener will be an upgrade to what they already have in NY. He will be more reminiscent of Shockey for Eli.

I don't see us taking a chance on Mercilus unless he is there in the second. Reminds me too much of the other one year wonder we drafted and was an epic failure. We need to draft safe is the first round, a starter for at least 3 years for one of the major colleges playing defense in the SEC (Ala or LSU) those guys are the safest bet. Or a QB like Tannehill so we can start looking for our QB of the future which we need to draft early and not in the 4th round or later.

I'm beginning to think that if Ingram isn't there then Merciless is our next best chance . The only thing that scares me is he another Maybin ? He has only had one year of good production in college although he is bigger than Maybin , my first pick i would jump out there to get Ingram his versitility is a major plus & the guy has great hands real good speed & is all over the field & usually some where around the ball at all times on his high light film

Mercilus is the anti Buddy Nix pick. Find a guy who produced over 2 or 3 seasons as a starter and that's your guy. I can say with a fair amount of confidence Mercilus will NOT be a Bill, not with the ghost of Aaron Maybin hanging around.

Just imagine that backlash. Another possible one year wonder, boom or bust Big Ten DE. I can't see it.

Couldn't agree more. Mercilus, if I am not mistaken, is a one year wonder. Nix and Gailey fool everyone by telling them exactly what they are going to do in the draft but nobody believes them. It is highly unlikely we draft Mercilus.

Nice post, H2O! Pretty detailed.

However, I agree with JM57 that Merciless should be our last pick out of the DEs. Especially with Coples and Upshaw still on the board.

This FO should be, and has been, focusing on minimizing risk with their first picks. With that being said, Id be extremely surprised (and upset) if they went with the 1 year producer from a weak Big-10 program.

Can we label Coples a 1 year wonder, just that his 1 good year was 2010? Plus, I think Nix takes Upshaw or Reiff or Martin before Mercilus. So, with Ingram as a possible pick, that would be 4 guys with whom we would probably be happy. So, with what I see as "only" 5 locks in the 1st 9 amongst most mocks, Luck-RGIII-Blackmon-Kahlil-Claiborne, we still are not assured of getting a guy we want. 2011 was nice being drafting 3rd.

I see people comparing Mercilus to Maybin. That is a complete joke. Most of Maybin's sacks came against sub par talent in college that year. Mercilus had at least one sack in every game, minus 2. One of those was a game he only played the 1st quarter in which he didn't get a sack. He's already 265lbs. Maybin has never been 265lbs in his life. He does more than just speed rush which is all Maybin could do.

I see Upshaw as strictly a LB, whether it be in a 4-3 or most likely a 3-4. He will not be the pick. Coples has questions about his motivation/attitude. I don't see us taking him either. With Ingram gone in this scenario I think we take Mercilus. I would throw up in my mouth if we took Reiff, but would be happy with Martin if he were the pick. I just think our need for a true edge rusher in a 4-3 will be what we look for in Round 1. I also wouldn't be mad if we could trade back and land a guy like Nick Perry. I don't think he or Mercilus will be there in the 2nd though.

I have seen where some scouts and GM's have Kendall Wright rated higher than Blackmon. Blasphemy IMO, but that's just my opinion. The Browns definitely need guys at WR. Little, Cribbs, Massaquoi, none of them are getting it done really. I could see them taking Wright.

I'm not very high on Mercilus myself. I think in this scenario I would pick Riley Reiff the OT from Iowa.. especially if we dont bring back Bell. If we do retain Bell, than this definitly becomes a tougher choice. Maybe dial up the phone and see how bad Cincy wants Trent Richardson?