Rolling Cap Money

plenzmd1

So if i understand correctly,teams can roll any unused money under the cap from lastyear to the current year..As of now, i see no downside, as this is still a year that does not mandate the higher floor. Will the Bills do it? Wil you be pissed if they do not? Most sources seem to indicate Bills were $20M under last year....that could make for some nice gains in FA.

BTW, the Bucs of all teams just did this. So yes, i will be pissed if this is not done...againI see no downside

So if i understand correctly,teams can roll any unused money under the cap from lastyear to the current year..As of now, i see no downside, as this is still a year that does not mandate the higher floor. Will the Bills do it? Wil you be pissed if they do not? Most sources seem to indicate Bills were $20M under last year....that could make for some nice gains in FA.

BTW, the Bucs of all teams just did this. So yes, i will be pissed if this is not done...againI see no downside

Here's a link to the Bucs report

I wondered the same, when I first heard about this option. I don't see the Bills doing it (the downside is more money spent), but you never know.

Edited by Beerball

This should clear things up http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

I fall for it...every single time.

:lol:

The thing is I don't think it is necessarily Ralph being cheap. I wonder whether he is up to something. Reports generally from this board (sorry no link) have Ralph pulling in anywhere from 20-40 million dollars the last couple of years.

I truly wonder whether he is trying to stock pile some of his assets to be able to pass the team on to his wife.

Absolute and pure speculation on my part...otherwise, I have no explanation of why he is so consistent (recently) in just taking money out of this franchise.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

HA!

I fall for it...every single time.

:lol:

The thing is I don't think it is necessarily Ralph being cheap. I wonder whether he is up to something. Reports generally from this board (sorry no link) have Ralph pulling in anywhere from 20-40 million dollars the last couple of years.

I truly wonder whether he is trying to stock pile some of his assets to be able to pass the team on to his wife.

Absolute and pure speculation on my part...otherwise, I have no explanation of why he is so consistent (recently) in just taking money out of this franchise.

Think so?

Anyway, those numbers come form the Forbes annual NFL team valuation report.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_land.html

The Bills are consistently one of the highest teams i operating income, despite having a low value team.

The Bills have said before that the can and will roll over and money from year to year that they don't spend under their "cash to the Cap system. So, say the Cap is set at $120 million for the season, thats their cap in total spending (not in cap spending), If they don't spend in real money to the cap one year, they will carry that over into the next years budget and allow them to spend a little more real money the next year

The Bills have said before that the can and will roll over and money from year to year that they don't spend under their "cash to the Cap system. So, say the Cap is set at $120 million for the season, thats their cap in total spending (not in cap spending), If they don't spend in real money to the cap one year, they will carry that over into the next years budget and allow them to spend a little more real money the next year

Do you know how much actual cash they spent last year. Ive heard that they actually exceeded the $120 mil amount. I havent found any info on that however. If anybody knows or has a link it would be great.

Got a link? I'd love to print that one out.

Got a link? I'd love to print that one out.

couldnt agree more with Beerball....where did they say they would be rolling over cap?

and does ANYONE have a complete list of teams (link) and their updated cap number since cap was released/teams rolled money over? rather than just this blind speculation?

There is no minimum to spend until 2013, and Buffalo exploited that by being nearly 21M beneath the salary cap in 2011. It will be interesting to see that should they choose not to use this option how it will be explained. After all, when you've missed the playoffs a NFL worst 12 seasons in a row, it only makes sense to do as much as possible to get better players in here.

"The Bills 20M under cap" needs to put into perspective. The Patriots have more cap space than the Bills.

The NFL is not the NBA the teams are not spending up to the cap.

If half of the teams have an extra 15+ Million dollars there is no relative advantage to the Bills in the Free Agent Market. Most teams have extra money to spend so most teams can go after Free Agents with the same extra cap space that the Bills have, meaning there is no advantage to the extra space in 2012 because everyone has the same advantage.

Its not about the money its how you use it. Every team has money that is not the issue with the Buffalo Bills. Enticing Free Agents that can make an impact to sign with the Bills is the issue. The money is there and can be spent.

Edited by Why So Serious?

couldnt agree more with Beerball....where did they say they would be rolling over cap?

and does ANYONE have a complete list of teams (link) and their updated cap number since cap was released/teams rolled money over? rather than just this blind speculation?

It was around the time that they had the end of the season press conference. They said that they can roll over any money left in their "Cash to the Cap" budget from the season before and add it to their budget for the next year. Its nothing to do with the NFL and other teams, its their internal budget and accounting figures with "Cash to the Cap"

I has nothing to do with the NFLs salary cap (and I never said it did), Its any money not spent in the year under their "Cash to the Cap"

I have never heard of the NFL allowing teams to exceed the NFLs Salary Cap in a year because they were below it the season before.

Edited by apuszczalowski

It was around the time that they had the end of the season press conference. They said that they can roll over any money left in their "Cash to the Cap" budget from the season before and add it to their budget for the next year. Its nothing to do with the NFL and other teams, its their internal budget and accounting figures with "Cash to the Cap"

I has nothing to do with the NFLs salary cap (and I never said it did), Its any money not spent in the year under their "Cash to the Cap"

I have never heard of the NFL allowing teams to exceed the NFLs Salary Cap in a year because they were below it the season before.

It's new (or at least more straightforward) - - FYI:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/141339-the-2011-cba-has-a-salary-cap-carry-over-clause/

Sounds like its one of those things that teams can do if they want to (cause it says they have to apply to the league to do it) but either isn't known to the public much, or is not widely used around the league.

What i was refering to in my previous posts though has to do with the "Cash to the Cap" budget the Bills have, they said they can roll over unused budget from one year to another in their spending

Sounds like its one of those things that teams can do if they want to (cause it says they have to apply to the league to do it) but either isn't known to the public much, or is not widely used around the league.

What i was refering to in my previous posts though has to do with the "Cash to the Cap" budget the Bills have, they said they can roll over unused budget from one year to another in their spending

It's never been allowed before, so how have the Bills been doing it? The NFL has a hard cap. Prior to this year's CBA there was no provision for rolling over unspent cap dollars. In 2011 and previous years the cap was the cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/remaining-2011-cap-space-by-team/

Note that the following list says nothing one way or the other about whether any particular team will choose to carry over its listed, unused 2011 cap space to 2012:

[Editor's note: With teams now able to carry over their excess cap space from one year to the next, here's a look at each team's remaining 2011 cap space, as of February 12, 2012.]

Jaguars: $31.66 million.

Broncos: $27.88 million.

Buccaneers: $25.05 million.

Chiefs: $24.01 million.

Seahawks: $21.27 million.

Bills: $19.29 million.

Dolphins: $9.05 million.

Jets: $8.39 million.

Patriots: $6.66 million.

Giants: $1.06 million.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

"The Bills 20M under cap" needs to put into perspective. The Patriots have more cap space than the Bills.

The NFL is not the NBA the teams are not spending up to the cap.

If half of the teams have an extra 15+ Million dollars there is no relative advantage to the Bills in the Free Agent Market. Most teams have extra money to spend so most teams can go after Free Agents with the same extra cap space that the Bills have, meaning there is no advantage to the extra space in 2012 because everyone has the same advantage.

Its not about the money its how you use it. Every team has money that is not the issue with the Buffalo Bills. Enticing Free Agents that can make an impact to sign with the Bills is the issue. The money is there and can be spent.

Yes, several teams are beneath the cap, but I cannot see how the Bills have helped their situation much the past few years. When you sign players like Cornell Green, Brad Smith, Chris Kelsay and Shawne Merriman to decent contracts, it's not good cap management. Meanwhile, we're noting that Buffalo's situation is similar to other teams? Ever wonder why NE is always in good shape and their personnel so much better?

The key to a successful team is an owner who supports a front office. Unfortunately, ownership is absentee, and the front office with a limited payroll is spending on players who offer little to nothing. And while I'll applaud them for keeping Kyle Williams, they've more than shown they aren't re-signing players before they peak in value and still keep players who shouldn't be around. That's how their situation is relatively similar to successful teams.