The Movie Hugo

Vetriano

I dont care for movies too much, unless it is good. And this was great! Really, the story, the sets, the acting. I thought it would be more of a kids story, I brought my 8 year old daughter, but it is just fantastic. Think Amelie, visually, with 3D that finally works. Sasha Cohen (BORAT) was good too. Wondering if anyone else saw it and there thoughts? Try to see it in the theatre if you can- wont regret it

As a point of refernece, I hated the last two Woody Allen flicks, esp that "midnight in paris"

CBS Sunday Morning did a story about this movie. It piqued my interest and i plan on seeing it. I didnt realize SB Cohen was in it, thatmakes it even more attractive to me.

I dont care for movies too much, unless it is good. And this was great! Really, the story, the sets, the acting. I thought it would be more of a kids story, I brought my 8 year old daughter, but it is just fantastic. Think Amelie, visually, with 3D that finally works. Sasha Cohen (BORAT) was good too. Wondering if anyone else saw it and there thoughts? Try to see it in the theatre if you can- wont regret it

As a point of refernece, I hated the last two Woody Allen flicks, esp that "midnight in paris"

We took our 7-year-old, and it was deeper than a typical kids story, for sure. That said, while it was visually stunning, the story struck me as disjointed. I suspect they tried to stick to the book (which I did not read), but there were a couple of moments when I felt like they suddenly and without reason went sideways to another story line, as though a chapter ended and a new one began.

Ben Kingsley was very good, as was Sacha Baron Cohen, who really did a surprisingly terrific job. But again, there were moments I was left thinking "Why did they go that way when the direction they were going was so excellent?"

Edited by LABillzFan

It was visually entertaining. I also did not read the book, and thought I would do light research on its background - which I haven't yet done.

It's a self-referential movie about movie making at least as much as it's a children's story of imagination and wonderment.

Haven't seen The Artist - which to me seems as though it's totally self-referential - which is why it garnered so much attention and praise vis-a-vis the industry's awards. "Oh look! It's a movie about MOVIES!" I had more of that than I could stand when I saw A Chorus Line.

Hugo was enjoyable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS Sunday Morning did a story about this movie. It piqued my interest and i plan on seeing it. I didnt realize SB Cohen was in it, thatmakes it even more attractive to me.

I'm a huge SBC fan, too...I had no idea he was in it. Can't wait to see it now!

By the way, anyone else see SBC as "The Dictator" punk Seacrest on the red carpet?

Seacrest looked like he wanted to cry. :lol:

Yeah he did lol...I thought it was funny how his (female) co-host considered it a badge of honor and was jealous SBC chose him! Ryan is such a nancy....

Saw Hugo in IMAX 3D with the wife. We had reservations about seeing the movie because it seemed like more of a kid's flick. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised. Amazing cinematography (especially in 3D), incredible sound, and a captivating story line. Everyone we have recommended this movie to has thoroughly enjoyed it. It just came out on Netflix, and I can't wait to watch it again with my son.

Wow, I was in stitches all the way through Midnight in Paris. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

this film was fantastic! i loved just about everything about it. even enjoyed the credits as the french female singer in the background had an amazing voice. and I agree, finally a vehicle that makes good use of 3D technology. This is the first 3D DVD that i felt the price premium was actually worth it. Now if they can just do as well with "star Wars", I think it will finally catch on.

Wow, I was in stitches all the way through Midnight in Paris. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Yeah, I also really enjoyed Midnight in Paris. Thought Owen Wilson did a great job in his role. If you like this one, you'll probably like another recent Woody Allen flick called "Whatever Works" starring Larry David (Seinfeld Producer, Curb Your Enthusiasm).

hugo was boring. i fell asleep on it.

this is a kids movie. and a boring one.

dont watch this movie people.

hugo was boring. i fell asleep on it.

this is a kids movie. and a boring one.

dont watch this movie people.

Saw it last week, lesser Scorsese for sure... definitely a slow starter, but I stuck with it & enjoyed it, the BD rocks.

Saw it last week, lesser Scorsese for sure... definitely a slow starter, but I stuck with it & enjoyed it, the BD rocks.

super slow start. it had a happy ending. maybe that's why everyone liked it.

i wish hugo was a robot (like the dream). that would have been a 6 sense ending. that would have been more enjoyable.

ps. what was so special about borat? changed his voice a bit and was annoyingly chasing a kid throughout the movie.

super slow start. it had a happy ending. maybe that's why everyone liked it.

i wish hugo was a robot (like the dream). that would have been a 6 sense ending. that would have been more enjoyable.

ps. what was so special about borat? changed his voice a bit and was annoyingly chasing a kid throughout the movie.

I agree with you there, he added nothing as far as I'm concerned. Just about any nameless actor could've given the same performance.

I haven't seen the film yet (Though you can bet I will soon!) but I HAVE read the book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" and it was one of the best books I ever read. Plus the character playing Hugo played Bruno in "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" another great movie as well (If you can ignore that the Germans have British accents. But apart from that fantastic)

Just watched it and LOVED it...really a great movie in my opinion...just fabulous!

just watched it again. it gets better with age. favorite line: "perfectly formed udders...are they smelly?" the kid actors are fantastic. never cared for sacha whatever but i thought he was very good in this. still trying to forgive him for his mean spiritedness in some of his skits: making fun of very friendly and open, square dancers in one that i saw but they remained kind and made him look the fool. anyway, some redemption for him in this movie.

just watched it again. it gets better with age. favorite line: "perfectly formed udders...are they smelly?" the kid actors are fantastic. never cared for sacha whatever but i thought he was very good in this. still trying to forgive him for his mean spiritedness in some of his skits: making fun of very friendly and open, square dancers in one that i saw but they remained kind and made him look the fool. anyway, some redemption for him in this movie.

Asa Butterfield and Chloe Grace Moretz were both good.

I was glad to see Moretz in a more "normal" role, instead of seeing her as an assassin(Kick-Ass) or a vampire(Let Me In). She is very talented and has a bright future.

This was the first time I saw Butterfield and I was very impressed by him. He was given the lead role in the now filming "Ender's Game" and I look forward to seeing him in future projects.

I wonder what Clippers thought of "The Shawshank Redemption"....

Maybe it would've been better had Red turned into a Transformer at the end.

ha ha ha ha ha. nice. but actually I would want red to be a naked girl who turns into gollum ("my precious") and starts kicking ass with his tongue.

this whole thread is like wtf to me. i asked my wife how long did i doze off. she said only 20 minutes.

i really did like when he had that dream where he dreamt he was a robot. the special effects behind it were cool. i really would have PREFERRED him to stay as a robot. but anyway, that's just me. maybe i should have read the book. NAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

I haven't seen the film yet (Though you can bet I will soon!) but I HAVE read the book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" and it was one of the best books I ever read. Plus the character playing Hugo played Bruno in "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" another great movie as well (If you can ignore that the Germans have British accents. But apart from that fantastic)

see i can watch a slow movie and enjoy it. i liked they boy in the stiped pjs. THE MOVIE, NOT THE BOY