Fred gets unscrewed

Its a mistake resigning Jackson he is 31 coming off an Injury plus you have a good young back who showed he is more than capable of starting, Buddy needs to learn from the Fitzpatrick signing that you don't sign a player just because you personally like them they have to be able to play

Say What?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good news, although really not new. Buddy said the same thing at the beginning of the off season. It is nice that they do legitimaely seem to understand the value that Freddy brings to the team on the field, in the locker room and in the community.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I'm certain the only reason he re-ups is because of the first reason alone.

I don't follow sports reporters so I will ask you guys. Does Florio often pull stuff out of his ass like this in the off season trying to create a controversy?

He has. He usually keeps diddy's such as this next to his head, which also can be found up his rump.

Just because they want to sign him and may sign him doesn't mean they won't screw him. They screwed him the last time they signed him to an extension.

Good for Fred that Nix seems to be standing by his word, but the Bills could easily offer him another contract which is decent, but not what he is worth, because they have him over a barrel. Hopefully they will do what they did with Kyle Williams, and give him a contract that seems fair to both sides. Not anywhere near Kyle's contract, but maybe three extra years at 5+ million a year with at least half if not most of it guaranteed. That at least would give him some good money that he has spent his entire career missing out on.

Its a mistake resigning Jackson he is 31 coming off an Injury plus you have a good young back who showed he is more than capable of starting, Buddy needs to learn from the Fitzpatrick signing that you don't sign a player just because you personally like them they have to be able to play

FAIL!

Just because they want to sign him and may sign him doesn't mean they won't screw him. They screwed him the last time they signed him to an extension.

How exactly did they screw Fred??? Did they put a gun to his head and forced him to sign?

PTR

People are still going to speculate that we are going to trade or not extend Fred. People are ridiculous.

I have said it once, I'll say it again. I don't think they should extend Fred. Not that I don't like him or appreciate his talent. But I just think it's bad business to spend too much on the RB position, expecially for a team like Buffalo where the needs are many especially at more crucial positions.

As I've said numerous times by now, if Gailey is HALF the offensive mastermind that he's been painted as, he'll find a way to have our best players on the field for the vast majority of snaps.

If I see that his offense has Spiller or Jackson but not both on the field at the same time, then Gailey's "brilliance" will have taken a huge hit in my book.

Good for Fred that Nix seems to be standing by his word, but the Bills could easily offer him another contract which is decent, but not what he is worth, because they have him over a barrel. Hopefully they will do what they did with Kyle Williams, and give him a contract that seems fair to both sides. Not anywhere near Kyle's contract, but maybe three extra years at 5+ million a year with at least half if not most of it guaranteed. That at least would give him some good money that he has spent his entire career missing out on.

The range of what Fred will make will:

1) Start at more than he's making now and

2) End at less than he would make as an unrestricted free agent

That's a pretty big range and one which can still be fair to the player. I'm sure Fred knows the parameters and I'm optimistic that the sides will find the happy number.

You have to use your brains when making theses types of decision & not your heart, are you going to give a 31 year old back a 4 year 20 Million Dollars contract (because you know he is going to want Spiller Money if he is the starter) on a team that passes 66% of the time & in a league where a 1000 yard rusher hasn't made it to a Superbowl in over 10 years you'd be crazy

if any thing go out & signs some big time Free Agent WR that what we need, Jackson made 1.7 million last season, if you can sign him to 2.9 million for the first 2 season of the 4 year contract & cut or trade Spiller OK keep Jackson, because you can't afford to keep both & paying Spiller 3.1 million this coming season for warming the bench isn't going to help win anything

I must be missing something. The quotes in the article from Nix were made weeks ago. Nothing has changed since then. No buddy said that they would extend Fred. Saying you will negotiate with Fred does not mean you will extend him. I just don't see the Bills paying him serious money or Fred excepting their offers too quickly. Talking about a deal and getting it done are 2 different things.

This is good news, although really not new. Buddy said the same thing at the beginning of the off season. It is nice that they do legitimaely seem to understand the value that Freddy brings to the team on the field, in the locker room and in the community.

As long as they don't overpay. Fred is coming to the end of his career. He probably has a couple of productive years left, then he is really on the wrong side of 30. Love the guy, but I don't know of any top 10 34 yr old running backs in the NFL. Injuries eat them up once past 30. they slow down, get hit a lot more, get hurt a lot more, and that is that. sucks, but that is reality.

How exactly did they screw Fred??? Did they put a gun to his head and forced him to sign?

PTR

Pretty much, yep.

It may or may not have been loaded. But under those circumstances, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky?

He had no choice. His agent somewhat screwed him, too, and got fired for it, and the Bills later came back and basically said we can't be responsible for screwing you if your agent screwed you, too.

Pretty much, yep.

It may or may not have been loaded. But under those circumstances, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky?

He had no choice. His agent somewhat screwed him, too, and got fired for it, and the Bills later came back and basically said we can't be responsible for screwing you if your agent screwed you, too.

You're basically saying Fred screwed himself. It's his responsibility to acquire proper representation, no one else's.

You're basically saying Fred screwed himself. It's his responsibility to acquire proper representation, no one else's.

No, I'm saying two things happened simultaneously. That's often the way the world works. The Bills were unwilling to give him a decent contract. And he had to sign it because he really had no other options. Fred was at fault, however, for signing with this guy who really wasn't much of an agent, although I assume that people really weren't lining up at Fred's door to represent him at the time.

No, I'm saying two things happened simultaneously. That's often the way the world works. The Bills were unwilling to give him a decent contract. And he had to sign it because he really had no other options. Fred was at fault, however, for signing with this guy who really wasn't much of an agent, although I assume that people really weren't lining up at Fred's door to represent him at the time.

Good, whatever benefits the team. Go Bills!

Good, whatever benefits the team. Go Bills!

It would benefit the team 10x more if the front office paid Fred what he was worth, not the least amount they can get away with it. The players love the guy, and he is the heart and soul of the team. Not paying him what he is worth hurts the team. Saving money, in this case, hurts the team not helps it.

Pretty much, yep.

Can I have some of what you're smokin'?

First of all, when the Bills extended Jackson in 2009 he was backing up Lynch. So how is giving $7.5M over 4 years to a backup screwing him? Now good for Fred for exceeding his contract but that's how it goes.

People sign contracts and they either play up or down to it. But what NFL team renegotiates contracts after every season to make sure everyone is getting what they deserve? None of them. Only in your Bills-hating mind is Fred getting the short end.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

uh- pretty much

he was a restricted free agent with no ability to go anywhere else

his only option was to hold out - and we know how well blinded Bills fans -(like yourself) treat holdouts

Who signed Fred's contract? Whoever that was is responsible for the outcome. I just fail to see how Fred is somehow a victim or is getting screwed. For whatever reason it took him till very late in his career to blossom. The way the world works is that infinite things happen simultaneously which affect everything. Fred was a backup RB at the time and apparently agreed that signing the contract was in his best interest. I just don't see the reason behind portraying his situation as being one of getting screwed. Fred took a while to play his best football and 30 will always be 30 as an NFL RB. If his age plays into the contract talks then it is what it is. As a fan of his I just hope that he has a good team in place on his behalf. I know that it's 2012 but people are still responsible for their own lives.

Edited by RealityCheck