Why We're Heading In The Right Direction

HuSeYiN1978

Do you guys realize that "fan" is short for "fanatic"? Yup. Thats right. It is defined as: a person filled with excessive single-minded zeal. The optimism then, if obvious, because that is what "fans" bring. If you are so tired of the Bills, thats fine and you have every right to be, but please take your poison elsewhere, because us fans want to have excitement about our team.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Bills are headed in the right direction but I'm not clear on how long the journey is or when they'll 'arrive'. Competitvely, they've been at a disadvantage to the teams in their division for what seems like forever. I like to be optimistic but I want to be realistic too.

The thing is that everybody goes into the offseason looking to improve. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins are working on offseason plans to improve their teams too. So for the Bills to move forward they need to incrementally improve at a faster rate just to catch up.

Your first objective has got to be to beat the teams in your division. The Bills were 1-5 last year. Improvement to a 4-2 mark would probably lead to contending for a playoff spot. That means hitting on picks 1,2,3 in the draft, pursuing and signing a free agent or two, and not losing any key contributors on the roster and creating more 'needs' to be addressed.

Well we know the Pats will improve. They have 2 first round draft picks (as usual) but the plus side to facing the Pats is that Brady doesn't look the same.

The Jets are colliding with each other. I wouldn't say that I don't respect them but I definitely don't fear them.

The Dolphins are a bipolar team. They have games where they can compete with the best of em, then they have games where they just don't show up (like the Bills).

I really do believe Nix is going to at least do his part this offseason so u can start being optimistic once you see the domino fall...

As sad as it is to admit... I agree with this attitude more and more each day. I have almost no optimism for this team at this point. With that said, I might get a titch of it back if:

They re-sign Stevie. If they let him walk, for any reason, this franchise is going no where. Period.

They re-sign a few of the other key players currently on the bubble.

They extend Freddie.

Do that, and they show they're able to recognize talent currently on the team and they want to keep it and build around it finally.

Go after a quality WR and pass rushing DE or LB in free agency.

Do that, and they show they recognize what our biggest offensive and defensive needs are.

Have a solid draft. That's all I can hope for here. Until we see who they re-sign and pick up as FAs, I can't see hoping for any particular player(s).

Do that, and they're continuing to build a solid foundation.

Get Fitz into a core strength and training program and working with someone on his foot work. His greatest problem is down field accuracy. At least attempt to correct that and we just may notice an improvement in his game.

Do all that prior to or concurrent with the OTAs and I'll consider it a good offseason, and entertain the possibility that this team is heading in the right direction. Don't do each of those things, and its the final proof that they truly are just spinning their wheels. So until I see what happens with Stevie, imo, the first domino that will fall, I have little to no feeling one way or the other about the future direction of this team.

You can start being optimistic once we re-sign Stevie...

I say, the Bills will always be beatable as long as they have Fitz at QB! *refers to the past 3 seasons*

I'm on the same boat as you are as far as Fitz goes. I will admit though he shocked me in the beginning of the season last year until all the bonehead plays came about again... But I say let's give him another year with less injuries and a better offensive line and let's see what he can do... We already paid the guy so might as well try to get our moneys worth...

And unicorns will fly over rainbows to a land where everyone is happy...

I'll believe in this rebuild only after this team kicks down a few doors and claims relevance. All my optimism has been spent. It is amazing to see so much hope from the fanbase year after year.

:lol:

So many Bills players to re sign and everyone thinking this team will go nuts spending on free agancy...Mario Williams- Vincent Jackson. When I see it, I'll believe it.

Do you guys realize that "fan" is short for "fanatic"? Yup. Thats right. It is defined as: a person filled with excessive single-minded zeal. The optimism then, if obvious, because that is what "fans" bring. If you are so tired of the Bills, thats fine and you have every right to be, but please take your poison elsewhere, because us fans want to have excitement about our team.

Wow what a refreshing viewpoint that I have never heard before!

It is all so clear to me now. The last dozen seasons were not the dirty dozen at all! Nay, it was just a prelude to the glory that will be the 2012 Buffalo Bills season!

Thank you Mr. Kid, you changed my life!

Wow what a refreshing viewpoint that I have never heard before!

It is all so clear to me now. The last dozen seasons were not the dirty dozen at all! Nay, it was just a prelude to the glory that will be the 2012 Buffalo Bills season!

Thank you Mr. Kid, you changed my life!

I understand you're disappointed with the team for the last decade plus, but damn. You sound miserable. Cheer up a bit my friend. You don't have ANYTHING to look forward to in the 2012 Bills?

Have you ever thought about the fact that (1) if you are so affected by the opinions of others that you consider them to be "poison" and feel compelled to tell them to go elsewhere, then (2) you lack the "excessive single-minded zeal" that a "fan" (by your definition) must have? If you were a true fanatic, the opinions of others wouldn't bother you. Just like spending time in prison and mental institutions apparently hasn't dampened the zeal of Madonna's escaped stalker.

We'll see how willing they are to go in the right direction this off-season. That is, re-signing SJ and FJ while adding some top UFA's. Just re-signing your own isn't enough and the building through the draft mantra isn't cutting it anymore. They need immediate upgrades all over the field.

Buddy and Chan want to be all-in for this season. Whether Littmann allows them to be is another story.

I'm thinking the same thing about Chan and Nix. Either one of them or both of them will be gone if we don't come extrely close to the playoffs.

Go Bills!!!

way to have high expectations

Bills could win 7 games and be in the playoff chase until the end

not exactly contender material - but matching a Dick Jauron;s mediocrity would be an improvement for Chan

Edited by spartacus

I just want this team to win...but, 12+years with no playoffs make me think 13+ is attainable

Ah someone on this board with some sense.....until the crypt keeper kicks the bucket, we will continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL.....there's never been the right direction just look at the overall record of the Bills since day one. I love them as much as everyone else, but plain and simple we have stunk under the ownership Ralph.

:lol:

So many Bills players to re sign and everyone thinking this team will go nuts spending on free agancy...Mario Williams- Vincent Jackson. When I see it, I'll believe it.

God forbid they get creative with the cap, you know, stringing out signing bonuses and the like. Cash to the cap is a real beatch.

My concern is that even with Wiliams/Dareus/Merriman, we weren't getting too much pressure on the QB. A lot of yards and points given up 4 of the first 5 games.

That's why a playmaker at DE and a playmaker at OLB will change that. Also nomore 3-4 plus Wannstedt at the control should change that.

That's why a playmaker at DE and a playmaker at OLB will change that. Also nomore 3-4 plus Wannstedt at the control should change that.

what exactly did Wanstadt do last year?

other than steal a paycheck

why anyone thinks just by changing his title the defense will improve immensely is delusional

Buddy spent the last 3 years acquiring 3-4 players, and now everyone expects a 4-3 defense to perform miracles

what exactly did Wanstadt do last year?

other than steal a paycheck

why anyone thinks just by changing his title the defense will improve immensely is delusional

Buddy spent the last 3 years acquiring 3-4 players, and now everyone expects a 4-3 defense to perform miracles

Wanstadt was mlb coach, you know... one of the few bright spots last year.

Wanstadt is a proven defensive guy, I think if he wasn't on the team last year and we picked him up during the offseason everyone, even the haters would be ecstatic, but because he was on the team last year he must suck, right? even though he had no control of what the overall defense did. While I don't think we will be a top 5, hell I don't think we can be a top 10, but if we can crack the top 20 maybe like 15 in defenses, I would say thats a mass improvement.

Theres only a very few players that have been strict 3-4 guys throughout their careers, Merriman, Edwards, and maybe Barnett are the only ones that pop into my mind right now, but their might be 1 or 2 more. All the others have a background of being very versatile and can play either scheme.

Edited by ryan42790