Just Jack

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Perhaps Roger Goodell should also consider eliminating the Super Bowl halftime show if they're just going to hire two-bit youth-pop acts that are 85% dancing, 13% costume and 2% music.... Acts who see the most-watched event of the year as a forum for pedantic stunts to establish their brand via "obscenity" publicity, rather than as a forum for showing the world a graceful display of their talent.

M.I.A. wasn't the headliner but saw this as her opportunity to steal the headline, knowing that extending a middle finger and saying the F-word gets tons of press the next day and for months and years. And... it looks like it worked.

Apparently, getting known by performing well and being a good singer is too difficult. So, these hacks look to shock value to get their 15 minutes of fame/shame and a little wad of money.

Memo: Real entertainers don't need controversy and fluff.

In the future, get real professionals who have ability to handle the situation with class like Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, etc. And then limit the performance to these professionals, rather than inviting all and sundry who will be looking to make a name for themselves in the 'negative publicity is still publicity' milieu.

Link

Perhaps Roger Goodell should also consider eliminating the Super Bowl halftime show if they're just going to hire two-bit youth-pop acts that are 85% dancing, 13% costume and 2% music.... Acts who see the most-watched event of the year as a forum for pedantic stunts to establish their brand via "obscenity" publicity, rather than as a forum for showing the world a graceful display of their talent.

M.I.A. wasn't the headliner but saw this as her opportunity to steal the headline, knowing that extending a middle finger and saying the F-word gets tons of press the next day and for months and years. And... it looks like it worked.

Apparently, getting known by performing well and being a good singer is too difficult. So, these hacks look to shock value to get their 15 minutes of fame/shame and a little wad of money.

In the future, get real professionals who have ability to handle the situation with class like Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, etc. And then limit the performance to these professionals, rather than inviting all and sundry who will be looking to make a name for themselves in the 'negative publicity is still publicity' milieu.

:thumbsup: Couldn't have said it better!

I agree. The networks and the NFL out-think themselves with these halftime shows.

Tom Petty was a solid example of a great, straightforward rock-out with no selfish sideshow stuff like we saw last night. Nobody cares that some hack no name B list singer flipped off the crowd. I wish the press would have refused to talk about it and send a message to the classless performers that feel the need to create controversy.

Its already bad enough that the superbowl starts late on a school night instead of Saturday afternoon when it should be played, now my kids get to see obscenities at halftime too. What a joke.

Are you really upset about this? I was in a room full of people watching this and none of us even noticed it. I guess some people just need to have something to complain about.

I didn't notice it either because everyone at my place was talking, the volume was turned down and I don't think anyone was watching because, dude, it was Madonna.

Still, my 4-year-old niece was there and it would be nice if she could watch teevee without being exposed to this trash. I know it'll happen eventually, but we shouldn't have to put earmuffs and blindfolds on to avoid it.

I guess some people just need to swear and flash obscene gestures to get noticed....

I wish they'd let the public vote on the halftime show.

NFL gives 10 or so acts to choose from in a bracket format. Public votes. Boom. A show the majority wants to watch.

I like that idea. The problem is that no big acts are going to expose themselves to a public vote and the possibility of failure.

Link

Thats the way the industry works today. You need to fit the "image" first, the "talent" can be fixed later.

Lady Gaga apparently has a backround/training in classical piano I believe, yet she couldn't hit it big until she started appearing 3/4 naked in weird and crazy outfits.

Katy Perry was a gospal/christian music singer who couldn't get a deal to become famous until she "slutted up" and sang about "kissing a girl and liking it"

Theres plenty more examples of this and its not just woman in todays music. You could go back to KISS who were a flop when they moved away from their "stage show" and took the makeup off to perform. I don't think anyone would say that they would go see kiss perform their music without the makeup and stage show.

I didn't notice it either because everyone at my place was talking, the volume was turned down and I don't think anyone was watching because, dude, it was Madonna.

Still, my 4-year-old niece was there and it would be nice if she could watch teevee without being exposed to this trash. I know it'll happen eventually, but we shouldn't have to put earmuffs and blindfolds on to avoid it.

I guess some people just need to swear and flash obscene gestures to get noticed....

Does your 4 year old niece even know what it means when someone holds up their middle finger?