Fred Jackson to get screwed?

Rob's House

things change... he went to IR and our 1st round pick showed promise... buddy has all the bargaining power.. this is a business.. do players keep their word? they get a big contract and suck it up and give $ back cuz they didnt do well?

r u that naive?

He said that after the season. Fred isn't going anywhere. I can't wait to pull this when fred gets extended

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of caution when deciding to extend FJ, and most of that caution is good buisness sense, IMO. There is no greater fan of FJ than me, he is one of my favorite Bills of all time, but he is expendable from a business point of view. Gailey's offense last year was CLEARLY focused on the passing game, and RB's cathicng passes out of the back field is consistent with that scheme. Even if FJ doesn't burn it up in 2012, we have CJ and Choice that are every bit capable running behind this OL. I said it earlier this year that if a deal can be made (Strictly from a business standpoint) we should trade FJ to a Running Back hungry team and take nothing less than a 2nd rounder, or a 3rd and a 4th for him.

Just my two cents..

Tim-

He said that after the season. Fred isn't going anywhere. I can't wait to pull this when fred gets extended

who cares what he said... THIS IS A BUSINESS.. u think with ur heart cuz ur a fan... Nix has a job to do, and if the numbers for freddie r too high, dont jsut pay the man cuz u give him "ur word" thats BAD BUSINESS.. i run a big business and if i did that i'd be broke.. u prioritize what u pay and who u pay... WE HAVE MORE PRESSING NEEDS THAN "PAYING THE MAN CUZ U GAVE HIM UR WORD".. sorry to imform u , this is not little league, u dont play every kid to make them happy. this is a MULTI BILLION dollar industry.. Nix job is not safe if we dont produce next yr... freddy is under contract and u make him a FAIR OFFER. 2-3 yr extension at under 5 mil a yr... thats BEYOND fair and finacially feasible and spread money out so he doesnt hurt cap at all... if he thinks hes worth more... let someone else pay him and get a 2nd cuz if a team feels a 31 yr old RB off a knee surgury is worth that kinda money, thats a lot more than u pay a 2nd rounder... ppl that think we cant get a 2nd or at worst a 3rd for him is nuts.. in BUSINESS you corelate how much u pay on a scale.. if hes worth big bucks to u , u would easily sacrifice what u have to in order to get them.. which will be a 2nd or 3rd.. pay stevie whos gonna be gone if we dont, pay chandler cuz hes gone if we dont.. dont OVER pay freddy cuz u gave him "ur word".. we need to bring in passer rushers, lb's , vet CB , depth on oline and real WR outside of freddy and nelson in slot and if we pay freddy and dont stevie, we then need 2 WR's and then u have chemistry issues with 2 new starting WR with an AVERAGE QB. we used a top half of 1st round pick on spiller... USE HIM.. u dont draft a RB in top half of 1st to let him collect dust while someone else is the guy.. CJ shut up and did whatever team needed when reddy was rocking... only reason CJ didnt keep cracking 100 yards is cuz we have no OLINE, fitz was AWFUL and we were down in 2nd half in every game and stopped running ball cuz we couldnt stop a college offense let alone an NFL one.. look at CJ's 1st half stats and carries. Freddy had the benefit of us having a good record and oline was healthy and D was totally decimated and had spencer johnson and carrington starting at OLB in a 4-3! CJ average per carry was as good and dropped more balls than freddy did but is much more explosive in space and showcased that with big runs in every game... he can be a game changer in a shotgun offense which is what we run.. our O is passed based and sets up run thru pass... not other way around... We come out throwing alot more in opening few drives with short passes to RB or WR's to get fitz going.. we need to shore up the D bigtime in draft and IF and thats a HUGE IF freddy doesnt accept average $ which is what he deserves, there are TONS of RB's out there or u can draft in mid rounds than care be the PERFECT complimentary back to CJ.. much easier to find a between the tackles tough yardage guy than it is to find a game changer who explodes with big plays..

FREDDY WILL BE BACK whether he likes it on not cuz we should be smart and play hardball with him.. look at manning??? hes 1000 times the player freddy will ever be and until this yr, could u EVER hve imagined colts not paying manning his bonus and DRAFTING his immediate successor???? if u would have told me that after last season when no one knew of surgeries and offseason lockout that he couldnt do his routine with training staff??? what happens, colts worst yr since they drafted 1st overall and got manning... BEST thing that could have happened to IRSAY.. as OWNER, he saves a fortune, doesnt pay manning 28 mil.. yes 28 mil... and has his next starting QB for next 15 yrs... imagine if after jimbo's last yr , we go 2-14 and we had a chance to draft 1st overall and theres a kid like luck at #1?? not a yr where there is no clear cut #1.. hes higher rating than manning what coming out of college... that could be 30 GREAT yrs of QB play for colts...

s*** happens.. this is a day to do day business... u would have been on serious crack if we were talking about luck a yr ago AT THIS TIME to colts... u would have needed to be instituationalized..

who cares what he said... THIS IS A BUSINESS.. u think with ur heart cuz ur a fan... Nix has a job to do, and if the numbers for freddie r too high, dont jsut pay the man cuz u give him "ur word" thats BAD BUSINESS.. i run a big business and if i did that i'd be broke.. u prioritize what u pay and who u pay... WE HAVE MORE PRESSING NEEDS THAN "PAYING THE MAN CUZ U GAVE HIM UR WORD".. sorry to imform u , this is not little league, u dont play every kid to make them happy. this is a MULTI BILLION dollar industry.. Nix job is not safe if we dont produce next yr... freddy is under contract and u make him a FAIR OFFER. 2-3 yr extension at under 5 mil a yr... thats BEYOND fair and finacially feasible and spread money out so he doesnt hurt cap at all... if he thinks hes worth more... let someone else pay him and get a 2nd cuz if a team feels a 31 yr old RB off a knee surgury is worth that kinda money, thats a lot more than u pay a 2nd rounder... ppl that think we cant get a 2nd or at worst a 3rd for him is nuts.. in BUSINESS you corelate how much u pay on a scale.. if hes worth big bucks to u , u would easily sacrifice what u have to in order to get them.. which will be a 2nd or 3rd.. pay stevie whos gonna be gone if we dont, pay chandler cuz hes gone if we dont.. dont OVER pay freddy cuz u gave him "ur word".. we need to bring in passer rushers, lb's , vet CB , depth on oline and real WR outside of freddy and nelson in slot and if we pay freddy and dont stevie, we then need 2 WR's and then u have chemistry issues with 2 new starting WR with an AVERAGE QB. we used a top half of 1st round pick on spiller... USE HIM.. u dont draft a RB in top half of 1st to let him collect dust while someone else is the guy.. CJ shut up and did whatever team needed when reddy was rocking... only reason CJ didnt keep cracking 100 yards is cuz we have no OLINE, fitz was AWFUL and we were down in 2nd half in every game and stopped running ball cuz we couldnt stop a college offense let alone an NFL one.. look at CJ's 1st half stats and carries. Freddy had the benefit of us having a good record and oline was healthy and D was totally decimated and had spencer johnson and carrington starting at OLB in a 4-3! CJ average per carry was as good and dropped more balls than freddy did but is much more explosive in space and showcased that with big runs in every game... he can be a game changer in a shotgun offense which is what we run.. our O is passed based and sets up run thru pass... not other way around... We come out throwing alot more in opening few drives with short passes to RB or WR's to get fitz going.. we need to shore up the D bigtime in draft and IF and thats a HUGE IF freddy doesnt accept average $ which is what he deserves, there are TONS of RB's out there or u can draft in mid rounds than care be the PERFECT complimentary back to CJ.. much easier to find a between the tackles tough yardage guy than it is to find a game changer who explodes with big plays..

FREDDY WILL BE BACK whether he likes it on not cuz we should be smart and play hardball with him.. look at manning??? hes 1000 times the player freddy will ever be and until this yr, could u EVER hve imagined colts not paying manning his bonus and DRAFTING his immediate successor???? if u would have told me that after last season when no one knew of surgeries and offseason lockout that he couldnt do his routine with training staff??? what happens, colts worst yr since they drafted 1st overall and got manning... BEST thing that could have happened to IRSAY.. as OWNER, he saves a fortune, doesnt pay manning 28 mil.. yes 28 mil... and has his next starting QB for next 15 yrs... imagine if after jimbo's last yr , we go 2-14 and we had a chance to draft 1st overall and theres a kid like luck at #1?? not a yr where there is no clear cut #1.. hes higher rating than manning what coming out of college... that could be 30 GREAT yrs of QB play for colts...

s*** happens.. this is a day to do day business... u would have been on serious crack if we were talking about luck a yr ago AT THIS TIME to colts... u would have needed to be instituationalized..

So since Manning has a serious neck injury that might end his career we should let fred walk? Got it

And in this business its about production. Fred has been producing. Since when does Chan give a **** about who plays and where they were drafted? Half our receiving corp wasn't even drafted. Play your play makers. Right now thats Freddy

There is also something to say about a team that rewards its good players. It sends a message to players and FAs that you scan trust the FO to do what they say. If they don't resign Fred, who everyone on the team respects, expect other players to question the direction of the FO ala when we traded evans and Florence called out the FO.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

My biggest fear, if we dont extend Freddie is the Pats signing him after next season. Belichick loves veteran RBs and knows what Fred can do. I would hate to see Fred putting up 150 yards from scrimmage up against us twice a year in a Pats uniform.

So since Manning has a serious neck injury that might end his career we should let fred walk? Got it

And in this business its about production. Fred has been producing. Since when does Chan give a **** about who plays and where they were drafted? Half our receiving corp wasn't even drafted. Play your play makers. Right now thats Freddy

There is also something to say about a team that rewards its good players. It sends a message to players and FAs that you scan trust the FO to do what they say. If they don't resign Fred, who everyone on the team respects, expect other players to question the direction of the FO ala when we traded evans and Florence called out the FO.

all im sating is WE DONT NEED to focus our offseason on re-signing him.. we look into his situation AFTER FA and draft... and see where he need help, and what holes we have left UNLESS he agreed to a short term average priced deal for a RB. 3 yrs, 12-15 mil. MAX... unless u write up one of those "contracts" that are 6 yrs but really means 2-3 yrs cuz they structured it that way.. HES NOT A FREE AGENT.. teams with Better RB's have simimlar situation in Forte and Rice.. they are both better and younger than freddy... stop being such a homer.... Freddy was having a great yr, but its no TOP % rb in this league after a big injury and in his 30's....

He will be back regardless, ppl talking about cutting him are just plain ignonant.. i dont get why ppl think hes a FA.. HE IS UNDER CONTRACT.... use him and CJ and if he cant excpet that CJ has earned a share of the carries then adios.. freddy has always been a team guy, but i have a feeling hes gonna BE VERY VOCAL about this thing and use what nix said against him and try and milk as much as possible.. call ralph cheap all u want.. he isnt worth hunderds of millions of dollars for no reason... hes a very crafty business man even at his age.. problem is, ralph seems to care more about that than winning and thats why he needs to sell the team but thats a whole diff topic right there... he has no one in his family to take over...

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

Screwed? He's still under contract! If he sits out I wonder if Bills fans will give him the Jason Peters treatment. ROFLOL. I would love to keep FJ and make him happy for 2 or 3 years as part of a deadly 1 - 2 punch but he will be 31 and is coming off a broken leg.

Fred got a 4-year $7.5M contract prior to the 2009 season. Given his production the past 3 years (sorry but a partially great season doesn't exactly qualify), no one can say he's gotten "screwed." Much less when he got the new contract after a season (2008) when he had 1185 yards combined (25% of which were return yards) and 3 TD's.

one 100 yard game is "breaking out"? For a second year first round pick? I really am done with the Bills if they don't keep Jackson.

I did not read the who;e thread because this makes my point. So sorry for what i missed later on in the scrolling down.

At work i have a young buddy who has been a Bills fan for quite awhile and he keeps tossing out the Trade Fred thing because Spiller is our future. I hope Spiller IS part of our future, the kid can play and will improve each season IMHO.

But Fred is The Man. His story is a great personal story too. Some of you may have read more about him when we played Dallas at Dallas. For those of you who have not been paying close attention to Fred's history and what he does for community, well shame.

And if you have watched him on the field and would have no problem losing him...well maybe you should just take another look.

He is under contract and the Bills do not need to do anything yet so thats no big deal. But if we let him go or screw him i would consider not watching anymore. sorry for the emotion but this subject irks me. :angry:

things change... he went to IR and our 1st round pick showed promise... buddy has all the bargaining power.. this is a business.. do players keep their word? they get a big contract and suck it up and give $ back cuz they didnt do well?

r u that naive?

What do you mean "Things change?"

Buddy said that when Fred was already on IR.

Buddy has demonstrated that he is not a cut-throat operator. Just because others use an "it's just business" line

to behave like garbage doesn't mean this FO does.

You're trying to read tea leaves where there aren't any.

P.S. Welcome to ignore.

... freddy is under contract and u make him a FAIR OFFER. 2-3 yr extension at under 5 mil a yr...

I think Fred would be happy with this. I could be wrong but I doubt it. What I don't get is, if you're cool with giving him the kind of deal you suggest, what is it you're arguing, exactly?

I did not read the who;e thread because this makes my point. So sorry for what i missed later on in the scrolling down.

At work i have a young buddy who has been a Bills fan for quite awhile and he keeps tossing out the Trade Fred thing because Spiller is our future. I hope Spiller IS part of our future, the kid can play and will improve each season IMHO.

But Fred is The Man. His story is a great personal story too. Some of you may have read more about him when we played Dallas at Dallas. For those of you who have not been paying close attention to Fred's history and what he does for community, well shame.

And if you have watched him on the field and would have no problem losing him...well maybe you should just take another look.

He is under contract and the Bills do not need to do anything yet so thats no big deal. But if we let him go or screw him i would consider not watching anymore. sorry for the emotion but this subject irks me. :angry:

Fred is a great guy and a great story. He was having a great season until he got injured. But again, if you look at his 2009 and 2010 seasons, you wouldn't be saying "he got screwed" given the contract he was given just prior to the 2009 season. And as for this year, he got injured and had to be put on IR. The question then becomes "what is he asking for?" If it was something reasonable, I'm sure it would have gotten done by now. However if he's asking of a top-tier contract, he won't be getting it from the Bills or ANY club, given his age and partial great year. Unfortunately that's life and it's a shame he didn't break out 5 years earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

Sadly, he deserves it!

But, the NFL is a business and the Bills have the upper hand in the negotiations, because of Freddie being already under contract in 2012. His injury also plays a factor, if he comes back strong in 2012--quite possibly Freddie could get an extension and/or a hefty paycheck.