Slurs banned at stadium

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this doesn't happen here. Shouting homophobic vitriol at Brady once a year is just too rewarding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/sports/soccer/taking-on-soccer-violence-one-derogatory-chant-at-a-time.html?_r=1&hp

Used to be socially acceptable to taunt white athletes on the premise that they had a quarter or an eighth "!@#$ blood". Ty Cobb beat up a fan for it once.

Might be fun for you to call Brady faggot, queer, homo, but the clear implication is that homosexuality is shameful.

Perhaps I take the issue too seriously, but it's better than not taking it seriously enough.

If you were being completely tongue in cheek with your comment, I apologize.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Used to be socially acceptable to taunt white athletes on the premise that they had a quarter or an eighth "!@#$ blood". Ty Cobb beat up a fan for it once.

Might be fun for you to call Brady faggot, queer, homo, but the clear implication is that homosexuality is shameful.

Perhaps I take the issue too seriously, but it's better than not taking it seriously enough.

Pretty much.

Well said. I'm far from gay, but I hate those words. It's sad that this even needs to said in the first place. If you are going to taunt someone, be creative (hey ref, bend over and call the game with you good eye). Unfortunately, the people using this language are too dumb to think of creative things.

It's funny that if one athlete gets arrested, the whole league is filled with thugs. But people are sending death threats and hate tweets to athletes (including Jefferson of LSU , a college kid). Seriously, our country is so screwed.

Completely tongue in cheek. I'd never insult gay people by comparing them to Brady

Funny, in this politically correct world we live in. Some of the craziest comments are said on the field by the players themselves. When Thurman was in his prime the Packers where playing us at home. Thurman got a late hit out of bounds by Reggie White in front of the Bills bench. What Thurman screamed to Reggie is not printable here on this forum. Now if a fan would scream this out in the stands the consequences would be? Yep ejection. Where do you draw a line?

Rules need to be enforced on all sides of the argument.Example: While homosexual slurs are not put up with in the corporate or in the public modern day society. Would a homosexual shouting "breeder" be accepted at a public event? Probably. Truth is its a slur against straight people.

Talk about no league action. I'm surprised the Giants punter, and field goal holder after the game winning kick against the 9ers who was on camera screaming "I'm going to the effin Super bowl". replayed a few times without audio but it was very easy to read his lips. But the league did nothing? I'll bet a Giants commentator would have been fired.

I don't condone this stuff but where do you draw a line? If your a player is it OK to say racial or homophobic slurs on the field? But, if your a paying fan you cannot?

Political correctness needs a lot more refining.

Funny, in this politically correct world we live in. Some of the craziest comments are said on the field by the players themselves. When Thurman was in his prime the Packers where playing us at home. Thurman got a late hit out of bounds by Reggie White in front of the Bills bench. What Thurman screamed to Reggie is not printable here on this forum. Now if a fan would scream this out in the stands the consequences would be? Yep ejection. Where do you draw a line?

Rules need to be enforced on all sides of the argument.Example: While homosexual slurs are not put up with in the corporate or in the public modern day society. Would a homosexual shouting "breeder" be accepted at a public event? Probably. Truth is its a slur against straight people.

Talk about no league action. I'm surprised the Giants punter, and field goal holder after the game winning kick against the 9ers who was on camera screaming "I'm going to the effin Super bowl". replayed a few times without audio but it was very easy to read his lips. But the league did nothing? I'll bet a Giants commentator would have been fired.

I don't condone this stuff but where do you draw a line? If your a player is it OK to say racial or homophobic slurs on the field? But, if your a paying fan you cannot?

Political correctness needs a lot more refining.

You really don't see the difference between a player dropping a slur and a fan? If a player says something to another player, they will have to deal with the consequences face to face.

Most fans who hurl slurs are drunk cowards. They yell from a safe distance or get tough behind a computer screen. They would crap their pants if they were actually confronted by a player.

I'm far from PC but defining the right to use racial slurs seems really silly to me. It's along the lines of white people complaining about not being able to use the n word because "they call themselves that."

You really don't see the difference between a player dropping a slur and a fan? If a player says something to another player, they will have to deal with the consequences face to face.

Most fans who hurl slurs are drunk cowards. They yell from a safe distance or get tough behind a computer screen. They would crap their pants if they were actually confronted by a player.

I'm far from PC but defining the right to use racial slurs seems really silly to me. It's along the lines of white people complaining about not being able to use the n word because "they call themselves that."

Well, I didn't have drunken cowards or internet "thugs" in mind. I wasn't trying to define about rights to use racial or homophobic slurs. The point was it should be toned down period. By everyone. Most likely if you or I insulted a co-worker with a slur we would be dealt with. Why does the professional sports leagues allow it on the field, ice, whatever? Without consequences. Because let me tell you they do. This is probably one of the reasons the "miked up" feature is almost gone with players. Its intense out there. But in the end it's all about respect for one another.

This topic reminds me of the nice things I used to shout (via Batavia Party Zone End Zone Seat)to that queer Victor Green of the NJ Jets back in the early-mid 1990's.

I F'ing hate the Jets and that fat punk coach they have on the payroll.

Ultimately, it's too bad that such a to-do is being made of sukker, I mean, Soccer... such a manly sport.

I plan to bring my

" device. If anybody calls Brady a dandy lad, I'll be able to hear it from about 100 feet away and blow them in... I mean turn them in.

Good idea. Made me think to bring my video camera to record violations. Anyone in section 226 Red Zone Club utters the slightest slur or curse word, be aware compelling video evidence will be provided to security. :nana:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sticks and stones. Want to take back the power of hurtful words? Then be stronger than them.

I agree. If we are all equals, then we can all call each other names.

Tough to enforce without the place turning into 70k narks in Bills gear.