Are the Bills in 2012 a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense

San-O

I think I posted before, what do we really know?

Why don't we know more?

Are the Bills trying to keep it a secret prior to the draft?

:unsure:

Will they go all defense in the top 3 or 4 picks?

I think they will want to be able to run both schemes. But in the end I think if they can get the pass rushers to play in a 4-3 via free agency or the draft, they will switch to it as their primary scheme. Wanny always seems to run one and with Dareus and Williams they seem to have a DT combination to play in front of Barnett or Sheppard.

They should design defenses and schemes based on the personnel...know what your guys can do best and put them in those positions, then fit the rest of the personnel in spots that best help the team succeed.

I hate this "we should play a 3-4" or "we should play a 4-3 or hybrid". Don't fit players into a system. Round peg, meet square hole.

Edited by BuffaloWings

I think they stick to a 3 man front as their base defense, sometimes an OLB will put his hand on the ground technically making it a 43 but really it doesn't matter. When they go nickel, 47% of the time last year according to Nix, they will run a 4 man front with Sheppard off the field and Bryan Scott (who needs to be resigned) playing nickel LB.

I think I posted before, what do we really know?

Why don't we know more?

Are the Bills trying to keep it a secret prior to the draft?

:unsure:

Will they go all defense in the top 3 or 4 picks?

Why does it matter and why does there have to be an announcement? I don't think they go all defense. Depends who is available but I think at least one DE and OLB in first 4 picks.

Edited by nucci

If they go DE in the 1st round it may signal going 4-3 and the new DE competing with Dwan Edwards. I think they would want to keep Williams, Dareus and Carrington on the field at the same time and leaving Sheppard, Barnett and, if healthy, Merriman at LB.

a few thoughts on Merriman:

1. does anyone with medical knowledge have any idea how likely his surgery is to be successful?

2. If able to return would he be effective in a 4-3? And if so would he play DE or OLB?

This is an excellent question.

I think the reality is that we will have something similar to what we did this year, a hybrid type defense that relies on heavy upfront rotations and changes based on matchups, injuries, even halftime adjustments.

The only personnel guarantees in our starting front seven next year are Dareus and Kyle Williams upfront, and Kelsay, Barnett and Shep.

This leaves two spots available for training camp competition. I may be way off, but I think the defense we install is going to be based on our first round draft pick. I think they'll take the best player available for EITHER the 4-3 or 3-4.

In other words, a guy like DE Coples who seems like the obvious 4-3 guy (which is what Wanny has the most experience running) might fit, but if there is a 3-4 LB guy they like more in Upshaw or maybe Devon Still, they might go that way and work around their stud rookie in much the same way we did with Dareus this year.

The Draft experts keep commenting that this year's crop of 3-4 defensive ends is "very, very bad," which only 10 players deeming to be worthy of a pick. I don't think that affects us very much because we only care about the top one or two that will be there at the 10 pick.

What we know for sure is that we need to get a solid player here, a pass rushing force. I think Wanny would say I want a big fast mean durable DE, but not at the expense of gambling too much on someone that might not pan out. If the risk is too high, I'd rather have a stud linebacker that I know can roam and hit AND bring pressure 80% as well as the protypical DE that I want.

In that case, we'd likely run a 3-4 base. I honestly think our 6'6' 360 lb rookie Kellen Heard did very well this year, and could be the pointman for us in there. With him in the middle with a full offseason of preparation and Dareus, Kyle and Upshaw hammering away next to him, we would be tough as nails upfront.

Hybrid has become a euphemism for not being able to run either. Moving between 34 and 43 is no longer the point, rather sticking with one and fitting personnel to it should be. And that requires that all levels are on the same page: front office, talent evaluation (scouts) and coaching staff. Buffalo hasn't fielded enough players to suit one scheme, let alone 2.

It's also become commonplace at OBD to bank on rookies when they won't spend in UFA to find the key ingredients to a team, and defensively that's a pass rush. I'd like them to acquire that quality pass rusher in UFA then focus on OT with their top pick. People are enamored with Clay Matthews Jr, Aldon Smith, and Von Miller, but each of those guys was put into a position to succeed. I'm not sure that Buffalo will be anything but throwing all their cards behind the first round pick to produce from Day 1. That's a flawed strategy, and not just because Maybin was a failure. There just aren't many difference makers out of the box who can get after the QB in their rookie seasons, save for a few special guys.

Most teams it seems are going towards the hybrid front so I imagine the Bills will go that direction

IMO, this "issue" is much ado about nothing.

Get good players, build a system that fits their talents, and we're not having this discussion.

Anyways, on this subject, there's been a lot of discussion in Miami about what kind of defense will be run there with the departure of Mike Nolan and his successful 3-4 scheme.

Here's a link to PFT's blog entry entitled, "Dolphins may not be changing to a 4-3 after all."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/dolphins-may-not-be-changing-to-a-4-3-after-all/

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The Draft experts keep commenting that this year's crop of 3-4 defensive ends is "very, very bad," which only 10 players deeming to be worthy of a pick. I don't think that affects us very much because we only care about the top one or two that will be there at the 10 pick.

Webster, you make an excellent point. To quantify what you are saying about DE34's, there are six players in the Top 100 that are DE's, and are currently on our Big Board at 12, 25, 37, 38, 74, and 84. That usually drives their value up if you are one of the 8 teams that wants a DE34 in this draft.

BUT...

If you want a 4-3DE, there are eleven in the Top 100, with 5 teams that really want a DE43 in this draft, so they can be likely had in RD2 and RD3.