Chip Kelly in talks with TB

Kevin

perhaps we have Pete Carroll part 2, he needs to escape the investigators before the stuff hits the fan. You gotta believe that there's more than just the uniforms to attract all these recruits to Oregon.

This was my thought as well. Oregon is about to get busted bigger than the recruiting agency type thing they've been dealing with the last year

I live in Portland. Kelly is as arrogant an !@#$ as Rex Ryan. His offense will never translate to the NFL. His clock management is awful and probably cost the team a shot at playing in the BCS Championship game. He gambles way too much on 4th down. He can do that against Washington St. but that won't fly in the NFL.

And lastly where there is smoke there is usually fire. Derron Thomas, the QB, who has virtually no chance to play QB in the NFL is forgoing his senior season for the draft. Phil Knight spends a ton of money on this program. There is no way it is clean. The Lache Seastrunk/Willie Lyles stuff is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

perhaps we have Pete Carroll part 2, he needs to escape the investigators before the stuff hits the fan. You gotta believe that there's more than just the uniforms to attract all these recruits to Oregon.

Willie Lyles. As dirty as they come and he will be the downfall of Oregon.

I live in Portland. Kelly is as arrogant an !@#$ as Rex Ryan. His offense will never translate to the NFL. His clock management is awful and probably cost the team a shot at playing in the BCS Championship game. He gambles way too much on 4th down. He can do that against Washington St. but that won't fly in the NFL.

And lastly where there is smoke there is usually fire. Derron Thomas, the QB, who has virtually no chance to play QB in the NFL is forgoing his senior season for the draft. Phil Knight spends a ton of money on this program. There is no way it is clean. The Lache Seastrunk/Willie Lyles stuff is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I live out here too, and actually enjoy Chip's arrogance when dealing with the media. CK definitely does come across a bit arrogant and stand-offish, but Rex Ryan exudes immaturity and unprofessionalism... big difference IMHO. Agree that his system may be tough to transition to the next level, but it very much plays to the strength of the players on his roster. Definitely more talent on the NFL level.

Phil Knight is a donor, but why do you assume there is no way it is clean? If that's the case then the same should be said about T-Boone and Oklahoma State as well as every other major college program. Hell, a Florida donor bought Tebow a private jet the minute he declared for the draft, but that was perfectly legit.

Have you seen the facilities at Oregon? Pretty amazing... they easily rival most NFL programs. The rehab center is phenomenal. Their Sports Marketing and Business programs are also a big draw, especially if athletes have that as a fall-back plan in the event football doesn't work out. US HQ for Nike and Adidas are all just a short trip up I-5.

On the sanctions...maybe, maybe not... if the Lyles thing is truly an issue then Cal, Texas, LSU and a host of other programs should be worried as well. Lyles himself claimed he did not steer recruits to programs. Remains to be seen if any disciplinary action is even necessary as there are so many angles on this story. Seastrunk was very unhappy (homesick, etc) and talked regularly of transferring. Not surprising he ended up a Baylor (very close to home). Pretty big ego blow to be the top RB recruit in college football and then be buried 4-5 deep on the depth chart too.

Darron Thomas will be lucky to play as a career back-up/3rd string QB in the league, but word on the streets is he has some family with major health concerns. League minimum pays pretty well.

Apparently Chip has had his sights set on the NFL for a while:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7491324/source-tampa-bay-buccaneers-talks-hire-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-coach

"One source close to Kelly told ESPN's Joe Schad that Kelly, a good friend of former Bucs coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, has always had NFL in the back of his mind."

"Kelly is intrigued by the challenge of coaching at the highest level and not having to deal with parents and the NCAA oversights that are inherent to coaching in college, the source told Schad."

Guess that last sentence could be interpreted either way.

NW writer that usually angers most Duck fans wrote a decent article here: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/01/canzano_if_chip_kelly_and_oreg.html

Insight on his scheme... "Kelly told me in 2010 that he wouldn't bring the spread offense he ran in college to the NFL on a wholesale scale. "I'd use elements of it," he said, "but I'm running what we run at Oregon because it suits our personnel at Oregon."

Oregon definitely struggled to get the large, powerful guys you see on most SEC teams. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out!

Edited by Blanco_Diablo

Didnt see this one coming at all. Also Peter King said something on Twitter about it too. Can't provide link right now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/22/report-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-close-to-deal-with-bucs/

Well considering the NCAA is still working on coming down hard on the ducks, I would bail for the NFL just like Carroll did