cheers wikipedia!

Pete

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Scott allows copyright theft on his site (which he certainly does not), then it should go away.

Yeah, free stuff.

You do understand that the site could be shutdown simply for Chef Jim's avatar? It is a copyrighted image. One complaint and TBD goes down. THAT is what is so wrong about SOPA.

In other (similar) news, the FBI shutdown Megaupload today. Link to Story

If Scott allows copyright theft on his site (which he certainly does not), then it should go away.

Yeah, free stuff.

Chris Dodd (CEO of the MPAA and supporter of the bill) has invoked China's restriction of the internet as a paradigm for the SOPA bill. This is actually a matter of the government controlling information via the excuse of copyrighted material. Literally every page on the web involves copyrighted material...from avatars to links...meaning if the corporations or government do not like what is posted online they can use SOPA to shut down the site.

And yes, I have had my copyrighted material spread online without my consent. It cost me money and I still think SOPA is !@#$ing terrifying.

Edited by Astrojanitor

You do understand that the site could be shutdown simply for Chef Jim's avatar? It is a copyrighted image. One complaint and TBD goes down. THAT is what is so wrong about SOPA.

there's also all those people asking for links to watch the games online because it's not on in their area or blacked out.

I don't know, IMO, these "attacks" are blown way out of proportion. Outside of a hassle for some admins, flooding these sites to shut them down just seems pointless. I mean who really cares if the MPAA website is down for a few hours? Maybe if the sites they shut down depended on them for income, that would be something.

I think its impressive because within 15 minutes of the indictment, they were able to cripple the doj web site....they are simply 'firing across the bow' to demonstrate they can probably take them out if they really wanted to.

I don't know, IMO, these "attacks" are blown way out of proportion. Outside of a hassle for some admins, flooding these sites to shut them down just seems pointless. I mean who really cares if the MPAA website is down for a few hours? Maybe if the sites they shut down depended on them for income, that would be something.

I think its impressive because within 15 minutes of the indictment, they were able to cripple the doj web site....they are simply 'firing across the bow' to demonstrate they can probably take them out if they really wanted to.

I don't buy it. They never do any more than shut down websites for a few hours. And what does "take them out" mean? Permanently disable the site? Won't happen.

With regard to "Piracy hurting Artists" vs the fact that it's really just about record labels/movie studios/publishing companies worried about becoming obsolete, it should be pointed out that the CEO of Megaupload is an actual RECORDING ARTIST, Swizz Beatz.

A big LOL to this... http://i.imgur.com/TiBxo.png

And a bigger lol to the MPAA in this article: Story

Dodd, who became CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America after leaving the Senate in 2011, noted the movie "Avatar" was stolen by online pirates 21 million times. Such acts, he said, threaten to decimate his industry.

Oh, Avatar? You mean the HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME?!?

Edited by DrDareustein

With regard to "Piracy hurting Artists" vs the fact that it's really just about record labels worried about becoming obsolete, it should be pointed out that the CEO of Megaupload is an actual RECORDING ARTIST, Swizz Beatz.

Also, lol to this... http://i.imgur.com/TiBxo.png

I'd be all for the government stepping in and banning stupid names like that.

I don't buy it. They never do any more than shut down websites for a few hours. And what does "take them out" mean? Permanently disable the site? Won't happen.

It reminds me of when we were kids and threw snowballs at cars and ran away giggling like we did something really bad.

It reminds me of when we were kids and threw snowballs at cars and ran away giggling like we did something really bad.

It could be perceived that way, but it really is more of a warning shot.

THIS is what happens next...

'Anonymous' hacks thousands of credit cards from security firm for charity donations... and vows to strike AGAIN

Anonymous strikes again: Hackers publish email addresses and passwords of 860,000 clients of shadowy U.S. security firm

The web page is just the warning. The next step is publishing private emails and passwords, and then going after the finances. Dont take this stuff lightly.

It could be perceived that way, but it really is more of a warning shot.

THIS is what happens next...

'Anonymous' hacks thousands of credit cards from security firm for charity donations... and vows to strike AGAIN

Anonymous strikes again: Hackers publish email addresses and passwords of 860,000 clients of shadowy U.S. security firm

The web page is just the warning. The next step is publishing private emails and passwords, and then going after the finances. Dont take this stuff lightly.

So how does doing what they're doing make them any more moral than the people their hacking? So their stealing from people to give to charity? Yeah, good move. dry.gif