Should the Bills make a play for QB Flynn?

The Pack need to spend some money this offseason. They have Jordy Nelson,JerMicheal Finley, and Ryan Grant to resign thats a lot of money

Did post before reading the trade part?

FLYNN will cost $0 dollars if you franchise and trade.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that as soon as the Pack franchise him, and he signs the offer, their on the hook for his salary, unless they can find a trade partner.

You do realize that as soon as the Pack franchise him, and he signs the offer, their on the hook for his salary, unless they can find a trade partner.

They can trade him for a 7th and theyre off the hook.

I don't think that will be a problem.

And the new team isnt on the hook for the franchise amount when they work out a mutiyear deal.

You realize the Pats got two 4ths for Cassel and threw in a former great LB.

I don't think the pack will have a problem finding a trading partner.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Why do I keep seeing these threads? Guys want to keep blowing up our lineup for some maybe players that we're not gonna sign anyway. How about a trade for Cam Newton? Why bring it up when it's not feasible at all? Flynn will be picked up for inflated money by someone promising a shot at a starting job. The Bills invested in Fitzpatrick, paying him #1 money and they have already stated he's the starter. If we get another QB it will be in the draft, not someone expected to compete for a starting role.

Not sure if Flynn is the guy but whenever we add a player we should look for players the can compete for a starting role. That's the only way teams get better. That's what good teams do. No one should be annointed starter for life unless he has HOF credentials. Why not bring in someone to challenge Fitz. The deal Fitz signed is front loaded and would allow us to pick up or draft a qb that can challenge him. That was the benefit of signing him for the price that they did.

The guy has a great up swing. I really like Fitz but this guy is exciting to watch. Maybe bring him in for a QB challenge? Any thought?

he was already gonna be a hot commidity in free agency before he record setting game. i dont care if 1 game,he broke records on a team that has had 3 of what may go down in HISTORY as top to qb's.. starr favre and now rodgers.. if rodgers can continue playing at 75% of the way hes played last 2 yrs and win another 2 rings he will go down as best QB of our era over brady cuz manning and favre the other top 2 only have 1 ring each and thats what signifies the BEST.. after that game he had, he will want starter money and either be handed a starting gig and he will be more of a shaub than rob johnson in terms of backup with little experience going to a new team team to be the guy... dont forget, in his rookie yr he was a 7th round pick and for a 7th rounder to win the backup job the same yr team used a 2nd rounder on brohm and the coming into that college yr, brohm was being talked about as top half of 1st round... he all SADLY know how brohm turned out, but u would think by default with neither of them having any experience and based on where they were drafted brohm got alot more reps in practice and whether he stunk up the joint (which im sure he did) flynn HAD to be impressive to even make roster with at the time a young rodgers, and the other QB being another rookie.. they groom QB's there and they have said that they work VERY hard with rodgers first few yrs while he sat and would not have been an immediate success... another key point about flynn.... the guy was always the other guy.. in LSU he took over i think after russell who was so highly regarded in college (dont care how he turned out in NFL ) cuz flynn was a afterthought in college... he was just qb holding keys till next guy was ready.. but he won, and won consistently and was been in a great system...

I LOVED flynn b4 his big game and he may have had a shot at him if he did not have that game and bring him in as a high end back up and eventually he would take job from fitz... im not saying he is tom brady but has a lot of the same history.. brady was overlooked in college on hgher touted prospects like drew henson etc.. was a late round pick that sat behind an all pro and #1 overall pick in bledsoe... would i want flynn?????? id rather him over any QB outside of luck and rg3 which both are gonna be impossible to get... hes young enough to be a franchise guy and has less risk factor than a rookie and can come in and play a high level right away... also, in chan's system, its very QB friendly.. fitzy's overall numbers for yr are good on paper but its so rare he hits guys in stride even on completions.. when he misses he misses BAD and athletically hes average at best...

Now on to reality... NO CHANCE IN HELL they get him... hes gonna get at least 5 yrs 25 mil... which is cheap for a QB and as much as i hate it, chan and buddy are sold on fitz.. dont get me wrong, i dont hate fitz, but hes just purely not accurate enough... and drafting a mid round QB is sooooooooo risky and u never know how they turn out... ralph is cheap and considering he just paid fitzy huge dough to be the guy i highly doubt he will go out and pay big dough to another QB with the ammount of other needs we have. also, factor is teams past in bringing in high priced QB;'s, johnson who would cry if he missed his manicure... bledsoe who had a great first half of 1st yr and looked like a pro bowler then just became average after we handed dude key to city...

i really wish i was a fan of a team with a young innovative owner...

They can trade him for a 7th and theyre off the hook.

I don't think that will be a problem.

And the new team isnt on the hook for the franchise amount when they work out a mutiyear deal.

You realize the Pats got two 4ths for Cassel and threw in a former great LB.

I don't think the pack will have a problem finding a trading partner.

We'll see, right now though I doubt the Pack franchise him.

You like the way he swings a golf club?

But seriously , how does watching someone play qb on a team stacked with talent on offense give enough evidence that this guy is really any good?

Because Mike McCarthy says he is. Every time he is asked about Flynn, McCarthy says he's the real deal and will have a long career as a starter in this league. This from a guy who sees him every day, drafted a QB 5 rounds ahead of him, then kept Flynn over Brohm. I don't know if Flynn is going to be the next Kurt Warner or Rob Johnson. But how could you NOT kick the tires.

He is a QB. We need a QB.

We'll see, right now though I doubt the Pack franchise him.

There is little doubt by anyone that the Pack are going to whatever they can including franchise him to get something out of the deal.

Its a foregone conclussion with almost no arguements that make sense why the Pack would just let him walk away, given the market that is forming for him.

Because Mike McCarthy says he is. Every time he is asked about Flynn, McCarthy says he's the real deal and will have a long career as a starter in this league. This from a guy who sees him every day, drafted a QB 5 rounds ahead of him, then kept Flynn over Brohm. I don't know if Flynn is going to be the next Kurt Warner or Rob Johnson. But how could you NOT kick the tires.

He is a QB. We need a QB.

Maybe McCarthy wants to franchise and trade him? Or do we just trust how awesome he is?

Did his arm suddenly get way better at greenbay than it was in college? Or is he in a good spot to show well in short auditions?

There is little doubt by anyone that the Pack are going to whatever they can including franchise him to get something out of the deal.

Its a foregone conclussion with almost no arguements that make sense why the Pack would just let him walk away, given the market that is forming for him.

That would be a dangerous game, franchising him and guaranteeing him $14.4M in the hopes that his 1 good game will entice a team to trade picks for him, plus pay him close to that amount. Then there's the issue of Aaron Rodgers making just $11M/year and needing to redo his deal.

Thats one of the problems with thigpen. You know he won't be challenging anyone for starter. Why in the heck he's being paid millions is beyond me

Thigpen gotta go... I'd rather have Holcolm or Brian Brohm rather than that THIGPEN dude... What the hell IS a thigpen anyway? Just curious...

You're making some gigantic and potentially dangerous assumptions here. First off a franchise tag for a QB is probably in the $19-20+ million range. If someone wants to trade for him they will have to convince him to take FAR less overall in a new contract negotiation. He could easily insist on no new contract and just get paid big time on a 1 year deal then negotiate a new contract for 2013.

That fact alone should and would give most GMs pause before they make a trade. If noone offers up a trade then you're stuck with a VERY high priced back-up. As previous posters pointed out they have a lot of players they need to re-sign already, taking a $20 million cap hit on that franchise tag will definately hold them back from other important deals they would want to get done.

Way too much risk to even consider using the franchise tag, they should make an appropriate back-up QB offer to him and if he balks wish him luck.

People complain when the FO at OBD does things like this, yet we post about it doing it all the time... Draft McGahee when we have Henry, Trade McGahee to draft Lynch, Draft CJ when we have Lynch and Jackson, letting Jabari go to draft Leodis, cutting Leodis to draft Kirkpatrick, on and on...Its maddening.

This time it wouldnt be wasting a draft pick, and the players we let go in your scenarios were actually GOOD.

The guy has a great up swing. I really like Fitz but this guy is exciting to watch. Maybe bring him in for a QB challenge? Any thought?

There are at least 10 teams (arguably 15) who would like an upgrade at QB. 3, maybe 4, will address that during the draft. That leaves 6 or 7 who will be looking to upgrade in FA.

Flynn has shown enough to look like an upgrade.

If I were Flynn, I would leave GB only for a clear opportunity to start. The publically expressed confidence in Fitz by Chix and Nailey puts Buffalo out of the running there.

Why do I keep seeing these threads? Guys want to keep blowing up our lineup for some maybe players that we're not gonna sign anyway. How about a trade for Cam Newton? Why bring it up when it's not feasible at all? Flynn will be picked up for inflated money by someone promising a shot at a starting job. The Bills invested in Fitzpatrick, paying him #1 money and they have already stated he's the starter. If we get another QB it will be in the draft, not someone expected to compete for a starting role.

Good points.

Maybe McCarthy wants to franchise and trade him? Or do we just trust how awesome he is?

Did his arm suddenly get way better at greenbay than it was in college? Or is he in a good spot to show well in short auditions?

He's shown a lot more at the nfl level than any qb coming out in the draft.

He's shown a lot more at the nfl level than any qb coming out in the draft.

Sure. So has Levi brown.

My point is he's the same physically limited guy that came out, unless you think his arm got stronger or more accurate? Have you followed his growth at all to have meaningful feedback? I haven't closely since his drafting but unless someone can elaborate on what's changed I'm assuming he's still got a meh arm and good intangibles with an overall low ceiling long term.

That's right though, were throwing around silly catch phrases not evaluating talent here.