Should the Bills make a play for QB Flynn?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. One game. Still no evaluation of him as a player.

Sweet. Looked great against pats on the road last year too. Gets high accolades from his nfl coaches and fellow players Yeah counts for nothing versus guys who've taken no nfl snaps right ?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Not sure if Flynn is the guy but whenever we add a player we should look for players the can compete for a starting role. That's the only way teams get better. That's what good teams do. No one should be annointed starter for life unless he has HOF credentials. Why not bring in someone to challenge Fitz. The deal Fitz signed is front loaded and would allow us to pick up or draft a qb that can challenge him. That was the benefit of signing him for the price that they did.

How about we spend our cap space on

1- At least 2 guys who can rush the passer

2- A legitimate #2 WR. We have a ton of 3s and a viable 1 in SJ, we NEED a #2 and he's not on the roster.

How about another thread wondering if we could trade for Sproles or Bush "so we can have a 3-headed monster?" This board used to have legitimate discussions about our roster and news about players we were rumored to be in the running for. Lately, all I see are a bunch of trolls posting and people starting threads bashing players they don't like. :thumbdown:

Sweet. Looked great against pats on the road last year too. Gets high accolades from his nfl coaches and fellow players Yeah counts for nothing versus guys who've taken no nfl snaps right ?

I agree, let's avoid players that get ripped by their coaches. Not a common thing.

So nothing on arm strength, accuracy, footwork, pocket presence, game management, reads etc....

1-1 record with a team that's won about 20 of it's last 22 and 6 tds. And his coaches haven't said he sucks.

Unless he's radically changed (ala Brady) I still think he's probably a guy that struggles long term. Lots of qbs have had flashes with no film, little to gameplan against, and a ton of hype for their one shot. Being an NFL qb is a marathon. Lots of guys coming out have shown to have better raw talent. Like I said, I know college Flynn better than pro, but he was a guy that slid late for good reasons. I'd be very wary about making him a rich man unless those reasons have changed.

Why do I keep seeing these threads? Guys want to keep blowing up our lineup for some maybe players that we're not gonna sign anyway. How about a trade for Cam Newton? Why bring it up when it's not feasible at all? Flynn will be picked up for inflated money by someone promising a shot at a starting job. The Bills invested in Fitzpatrick, paying him #1 money and they have already stated he's the starter. If we get another QB it will be in the draft, not someone expected to compete for a starting role.

Here's a question for ya. Why can't people accept the fact that a guy who's shown and has been a backup QB for 6 years is nothing more than a BACKUP QB, except on the Buffalo Bills where we treat him like a All Pro.

Edited by jkx2

Please no...System QB...see Kevin Kolb, Jeff Garcia, Hasselback....and the list goes on...

Alex Smith was called a "system QB" coming out of Utah and for 4 years in the NFL. What do ya think of him now? That term is a load of crap.

I agree, let's avoid players that get ripped by their coaches. Not a common thing.

So nothing on arm strength, accuracy, footwork, pocket presence, game management, reads etc....

1-1 record with a team that's won about 20 of it's last 22 and 6 tds. And his coaches haven't said he sucks.

Unless he's radically changed (ala Brady) I still think he's probably a guy that struggles long term. Lots of qbs have had flashes with no film, little to gameplan against, and a ton of hype for their one shot. Being an NFL qb is a marathon. Lots of guys coming out have shown to have better raw talent. Like I said, I know college Flynn better than pro, but he was a guy that slid late for good reasons. I'd be very wary about making him a rich man unless those reasons have changed.

Look I know you don't like the guy but you can at least stop misrepresenting the situation so we can at least have an honest discussion. Head coach has said said a lot more than "he doesn't suck." actual quote:

"It was clearly one of the best performances I've been a part of," McCarthy said. "No doubt about it. I can't say enough about Matt Flynn. The whole world got to see what we see every day."

And from packer WR: "He's a great player, great quarterback," Jones said. "He just showed the world what he can do."

And his "1&1" record was a hotly contested close loss last year on road to team with best regular season record in nfl and win this year was against a playoff team that had a lot to play for in a game his defense provided him with no support.

Look I know you don't like the guy but you can at least stop misrepresenting the situation so we can at least have an honest discussion. Head coach has said said a lot more than "he doesn't suck." actual quote:

"It was clearly one of the best performances I've been a part of," McCarthy said. "No doubt about it. I can't say enough about Matt Flynn. The whole world got to see what we see every day."

And from packer WR: "He's a great player, great quarterback," Jones said. "He just showed the world what he can do."

And his "1&1" record was a hotly contested close loss last year on road to team with best regular season record in nfl and win this year was against a playoff team that had a lot to play for in a game his defense provided him with no support.

What do you expect any player to say after that- "wow, where'd that come from?"

I was at a game that day so didn't get to see much beyond highlights. My point again, do you have any read on him as a player from any point in his career- pro or college- or did you just read a puff piece after his big game?

I saw the pats game and also remember them flubbing the end pretty badly. Including a fumble on the last play. And Brady only having like 150 yards. It was a tight game though. I still didn't see that live arm that I expect from an NFL starter that you build around. I saw a good backup that I'd like if I were a team like green bay. Was it there against Detroit? Or was it the Detroit D that gave up 5 tds in the second half last week? The same one I watched give up 90+ in two games in the dome? Sorry I'm skeptical but I've seen that D struggle mightily, and haven't seen the arm out of Flynn yet so I'm curious to hear more than a stat line and post game interview.

Edited by NoSaint

With #'s he put up and praise he got don't u think you should watch some game film before damning the guy?

I missed one game and preseason snaps. I saw the entire college career and the pats game (for the most part) - you have yet to say you saw any snap he's ever taken. I've asked several times what you've seen, because what I've seen so far is suspect, despite the stat line vs Detroit. Tell me Joe, what do you think of him as a player? Strengths? Weaknesses? Anything?

Saw both pats and lions games, which makes me more current than you. Saw a guy that could make all the throw, look off DBs and make quick decisions, was mobile and importantly throw on the run. Saw a guy who was hyper competitive and never gave up. Heard him be nothing but complimentary of his team mates and team afterwards. Real leadership qualities.

In the pecking of draft and FAs I'd rank him 2nd behind luck and ahead of RGIII.

Now your turn to watch the film and see what's there now. Otherwise what you're doing is analogoust to passing on Brady for being a 7th rounder too.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Saw both pats and lions games, which makes me more current than you. Saw a guy that could make all the throw, was mobile and importantly throw on the run. Saw a guy who was hyper competitive and never gave up. Heard him be nothing but complimentary of his team mates and team afterwards. Real leadership qualities.

In the pecking of draft and FAs I'd rank him 2nd behind luck and ahead of RGIII.

Now your turn to watch the film and see what's there now. Otherwise what you're doing is analogoust to passing on Brady for being a 7th rounder too.

That's why I've asked several times if you've seen that transformation. Brady physically is very different than he was in college. I hadn't seen that from Flynn. My entire series of posts stated that. What I saw through the draft, and in the pats game was a guy willing to work, and wanting to win. I also saw a very blah arm. Could make the throws, but not impressively or everyday. Had a mid 50s completion percentage. He had good enough legs, but not going to beat you with them. Frankly a typical late round pick and a lot of what we complain about in fitz (who also has had games where he's had awesome numbers with much less talent and teammates/coaches/gm backing him publicly). Even in that pats game I didn't see a starter, and it sounds like you did, so we may be watching the same player and agreeing to disagree. The second half pick 6 and late game issues might have tainted the memory more than it should but I honestly think i am picturing other throws that just didn't impress me. I do like the rings at both college and pro levels. Winning and being in winning organizations is a nice plus.

Much like fitz I think he's a middle of the pack starter or very good backup. That's still very talented but not what I want to toss money at.

Look thru your posts. Bulk of them are ripping the guy and being overly dismissive. Again in your latest you express a dogma about him without even seeing his most recent and impressive work.

I assure you, the bulk of my dismissiveness was directed at your comments lack of analysis. I stand by my post that breaks down what I saw through a solid dozen full games and 6 or 7 years of progression. I also stand by my concerns about the lions game, his only start I've missed. If it was a big step up in his arm year over year from 2010 then I'm excited to see it but I have a strong suspicion that we are just reading the same player two different ways. Do you think it was a considerable jump? What aspects? Did he get more zip? Thread balls in holes better? Or are we just reading him differently at this point?

For the record, I think calling a guy fitz-like in his potential isnt ripping him. Like I said, the arm jut doesn't seem consistent enough to win 10 games a year every year and carry a team in the playoffs.

Edited by NoSaint

In a word...NO!

He would get killed behind this Bills line as not many QB's in this league can do what Fitz can do with so little around him.

Besides this team needs to focus on building a better team around the current QB for him to be successful.

Do I need to go into detail about how bad this Bills team was this year at almost every offensive position save QB & RB. I'll just say one thing tho, the 3rd string QB was listed on the depth chart as the #2 WR.