Would you trade FJ for a 1st rounder in 2012?

D521646

You can bet the farm on it that if you were to offer Fred to Bellicheck he would jump at the chance to have Fred on his roster but then we wouldn't have a snow balls chance in hell of beating them for another 2 or more years !!

I agree to a point that the age thing with Fred is something that i scary when you think of signing him to a long term contract Especially in Buffalo , b/c it seems as though every time we sign some one to a long term contract or an extension they wind up getting hurt & staying that way .

Look at Roscoe P he was fine until they extended his contract & he's been on IR ever since . I wonder if some one has put a curse on the Bills <_< ?????

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there would be some GM's would jump at this. Fred Jackson, at 31, is going to be immediately more productive than any of the other RB's in the draft, and could give you excellent production for at least another 2 years. For example, you think the Saints would rather have Mark Ingram (2011 1st round pick) or Fred Jackson?

Me personally, I think it's insane to use a 1st round pick on a RB, because they seem to be a dime a dozen. But I could see a GM going for something like this.

(ps: I personally wouldn't trade Jackson away if I were Nix).

In retrospect, they probably would just not have taken Ingram. I'm not a fan of the first round runnin' bax but to imply that they got anything near what they hoped they would out of Ingram is wrong. I'm sure they hoped they would get 1200+ yards and a lot of redzone TD's despite the fact that they are a pass-first team.

So you would turn down a potential impact player for the next 10 years to keep an aging player who has at most 2 years left in him (if that as we dont even know how he will respond after the broken leg) at a position where we have a young stud in Spiller already? I mean next year FJ wont even be a full time player as he will split carries with Spiller...I cant believe people would rather have an old player with little left in the tank that is now a part time player over a potential impact player for the next decade at a position we desperately need help with...

I love FJ, but keeping him over taking a first round pick would be a major setback for this team...but then again, no one and I mean no one in the NFL would even offer a first round pick for him so this topic is pointless. The truth is we would only get a 4th for him if we are lucky, and thats not even likely. Not because he has no talent, but hes way too old, coming off a broken leg, and plays a position that is the easiest position in football to fill. There are a NUMBER of other talented RB's on rosters that would be a much better pick up as they are a lot younger that could be had for less than a first round pick.

I often disagree but yes I agree with every word.

Best case is fred gives 2(?) years, realistically. It's very possible he hits the wall any day between now and then. A pick might flop but Fred might too and he is 100% promised a short span of impact.

So you would turn down a potential impact player for the next 10 years to keep an aging player who has at most 2 years left in him (if that as we dont even know how he will respond after the broken leg) at a position where we have a young stud in Spiller already? I mean next year FJ wont even be a full time player as he will split carries with Spiller...I cant believe people would rather have an old player with little left in the tank that is now a part time player over a potential impact player for the next decade at a position we desperately need help with...

I love FJ, but keeping him over taking a first round pick would be a major setback for this team...but then again, no one and I mean no one in the NFL would even offer a first round pick for him so this topic is pointless. The truth is we would only get a 4th for him if we are lucky, and thats not even likely. Not because he has no talent, but hes way too old, coming off a broken leg, and plays a position that is the easiest position in football to fill. There are a NUMBER of other talented RB's on rosters that would be a much better pick up as they are a lot younger that could be had for less than a first round pick.

Terry Miller, Tom Cousineau, Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle, Tony Hunter, Greg Bell, Ronnie Harmon, James Williams, Mike Williams, and Leodis McKelvin. All first round picks.

In retrospect, they probably would just not have taken Ingram. I'm not a fan of the first round runnin' bax but to imply that they got anything near what they hoped they would out of Ingram is wrong. I'm sure they hoped they would get 1200+ yards and a lot of redzone TD's despite the fact that they are a pass-first team.

They didn't want a repeat of last year, so they duplicated power runners in ivory and Ingram to make sure one would be in the playoffs. Ivory got to sit, Ingram got hurt and won't be in the run. They are still in great shape. They'd take him in a heartbeat. The real surprise that might've changed that was how well bell played for them early in camp.

Who needs a solid running back in the league?

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Seems if this scenario played out, the Bills would benefit?

Thoughts?

Tim-

The answer to that question is obvious. The Bills need a solid RB, and his name is Fred Jackson. You ride that wagon till the wheels fall off in my opinion.

I wouldn't do it. Sure the value would be great, but he has been our most exciting player since the 90's. I want him as a Bill. Age and all. Bills fans know better than most that 1st round picks are by no means guaranteed to be successful...

Besides, it's not going to happen.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Thoughts?

Tim-

I love Fred. It won't happen. If there were a trade partner out there that would trade anything for a 31 year old RB even if he was having the best season of his life you pretty much have to take it. If Gailey has half a brain Fred and CJ should be splitting carries next season and we should utilize our RBs much more in the offensive game plan whether it be rushing the ball or throwing it too them....but....a first round pick is a first round pick. Nobody gives those up for RBs.

Edited by PDaDdy

Terry Miller, Tom Cousineau, Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle, Tony Hunter, Greg Bell, Ronnie Harmon, James Williams, Mike Williams, and Leodis McKelvin. All first round picks.

Do you really want me to make a list of all the All Pros, Hall of Famers, and dominant players drafted in the first round? This reply is ridiculous. NO GM IN ANY SPORT OF ANY LEAGUE ON EARTH would offer a first round draft pick for a player very near the end of his career. And there is no way the Bills would even consider saying no with him coming off a broken leg with a young stud waiting behind him to take over...who we also paid a lot of money to and invested a top 10 draft pick in I might add...

This is just BAD BAD business...this scenario would mean career suicide and a firing of one the GM's in the trade...either Nix would get fired for saying NO to such a lopsided trade in our favor or the GM who offered us a first round pick for a 31 year old RB coming off a broken leg would get fired for making such a stupid trade. Especially since they could easily find a top RB prospect with a 10 year career ahead of them with that first round pick.

Your time would be better spent going out and buying a lottery ticket because your odds of hitting the lottery are greater than any GM in the NFL giving us a first round pick for FJ, and thats NO exaggeration and the odds of that happening are exactly zero.

Madden has warped the minds of so many on this board...

Do you really want me to make a list of all the All Pros, Hall of Famers, and dominant players drafted in the first round? This reply is ridiculous. NO GM IN ANY SPORT OF ANY LEAGUE ON EARTH would offer a first round draft pick for a player very near the end of his career. And there is no way the Bills would even consider saying no with him coming off a broken leg with a young stud waiting behind him to take over...who we also paid a lot of money to and invested a top 10 draft pick in I might add...

This is just BAD BAD business...this scenario would mean career suicide and a firing of one the GM's in the trade...either Nix would get fired for saying NO to such a lopsided trade in our favor or the GM who offered us a first round pick for a 31 year old RB coming off a broken leg would get fired for making such a stupid trade. Especially since they could easily find a top RB prospect with a 10 year career ahead of them with that first round pick.

Your time would be better spent going out and buying a lottery ticket because your odds of hitting the lottery are greater than any GM in the NFL giving us a first round pick for FJ, and thats NO exaggeration and the odds of that happening are exactly zero.

Madden has warped the minds of so many on this board...

There is talk Manning could go for a 1st

A RETIRED Carson Palmer went for 2 1st round picks (potential, ended up as a 1st and second)...

Just saying...

I wouldn't do it. Sure the value would be great, but he has been our most exciting player since the 90's. I want him as a Bill. Age and all. Bills fans know better than most that 1st round picks are by no means guaranteed to be successful...

Besides, it's not going to happen.

Man this thread is getting silly...you would turn down a first round pick for an old RB with a broken leg because you like him? Do you enjoy losing because we were losing and have been losing every year Fred has been here, so clearly, we wont win/lose more games with or without him. So, because he is more exciting (and he is not as explosive or exciting as Spiller can be) than other players this hapless franchise has put out in the last 10 years, you would rather hold this franchise back by keeping an old RB who is now a part time player and always has been in his career instead of moving him for a first round pick that could bring help we desperately need at other positions? Not to mention we have a potential stud in the making in Spiller already and very good backup to him in Choice.

I love FJ as much as the next person, but this is just silly and its like Bills fans just want to lose because its all they know or something...

Edited by Alphadawg7

CJ would be amore attractive late first round bate, his youth and contract status are attracive. How about triplites in Ciny?

He sure would be more attractive because he's about 8 years younger, has proven he isn't a bust and the sky is the limit. Problem is we would then need to spend yet ANOTHER first round pick to replace the aging Fred Jackson. You do realize there isn't much more mileage left in him trying to carry the load all by himself right?

There is talk Manning could go for a 1st

A RETIRED Carson Palmer went for 2 1st round picks (potential, ended up as a 1st and second)...

Just saying...

Did you just compare FJ to Manning? LMAO...are you serious? Manning and Palmer play the most important position in all of competitive sports for one. Manning is a HOF QB and once of the best to ever play the game and could play for another 3 or 4 years at an ELITE level easily and could turn a pretender into a contender the instance he walks into the locker room.

Palmer was a joke of a trade and one of the worst ever executed...but he also is young enough to where he could play at a high level for 5 more years and was traded for by a coach desperate to keep his job and make the playoffs who knew him. He also just lost his job by the way over this...

These scenarios are not even remotely similar.

Man this thread is getting silly...you would turn down a first round pick for an old RB with a broken leg because you like him? Do you enjoy losing because we were losing and have been losing every year Fred has been here, so clearly, we wont win/lose more games with or without him. So, because he is more exciting (and he is not as explosive or exciting as Spiller can be) than other players this hapless franchise has put out in the last 10 years, you would rather hold this franchise back by keeping an old RB who is now a part time player and always has been in his career instead of moving him for a first round pick that could bring help we desperately need at other positions? Not to mention we have a potential stud in the making in Spiller already and very good backup to him in Choice.

I love FJ as much as the next person, but this is just silly and its like Bills fans just want to lose because its all they know or something...

I stand by I what I said, you don't have to agree with it. FJ was the best RB in the league when healthy last year, by far the most important part of this Bills team...Trade him for an arbitrary 1st round pick in this years draft? Top ten, ok maybe. But other than that why is that such a sure thing to you? Have you been following the history of Bills 1st round draft picks? Most of them have been complete failures in Buffalo. FJ is a proven top notch back.

Seriously though, this is a make believe scenario, It's not an option. Don't get too worked up about it...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Thoughts?

Tim-

Who is going to trade anything for Filmel Johnson!

I stand by I what I said, you don't have to agree with it. FJ was the best RB in the league when healthy last year, by far the most important part of this Bills team...Trade him for an arbitrary 1st round pick in this years draft? Top ten, ok maybe. But other than that why is that such a sure thing to you? Have you been following the history of Bills 1st round draft picks? Most of them have been complete failures in Buffalo. FJ is a proven top notch back.

Seriously though, this is a make believe scenario, It's not an option. Don't get too worked up about it...

Not getting worked up about it, in fact we are sitting here laughing about this thread. The bottom line is that you dont stop drafting first round picks because you think the FO will screw it up. Thats like folding pocket aces pre flop in texas hold em just because the previous few times you had them the aces got cracked and you lost huge pots.

You dont turn down a first round pick for an old player at a position you have a young stud waiting to take over because you are worried the team will screw the draft pick up.