Dont Be Surprised To See Stevie Sign With...

(raise one eyebrow) 31 other teams ready to pay $10 million a year (per Chris Brown)?

Stevie rates #19 in yards this year. 14 teams have a player who ranks higher than SJ in receiving yards. 4 of those 14 teams have 2 such receivers. An additional 5 teams have receivers within 50 yds of SJ.

Stevie rates #18 in catches this year. 11 teams have a player who ranks higher than SJ in catches. 4 of those 11 teams have 2 or 3 such receivers.

1) what is their motivation to pay top-10 money for a #19 WR when they already have one?

2) what is Stevie's motivation to move to a team where he'd have to share the yards and attention with 1 or 2 other top wideouts? I don't think he's just about money at this point, he wants numbers and success

At the other end are teams which are likely not in the market for an expensive FA WR....that isn't their focus in FA

If you told me there are perhaps 10 teams which would be a good match for Stevie and will likely pursue him, I'd be more ready to believe that.

Of those 14 players who rank higher were they on an offense as bad as ours? Do they have a better QB?

Those teams have other WR's to take coverage away from ther top WR as you wrote. Buffalo doesn't!

He is and will be our best WR. We have s hit for depth and letting him walk will hurt our team.

We dont need any more holes to fill

Paying him 7.5 mil isn't top end money for a good WR. Seems like good value. If we dont pay him, a lot of other teams will.

He is 25 years old, and was a 7th round pick who has very good chemistry with our current QB.

Putting up the catches, yards, and TD's he did in the last 2 years in B-lo are pretty good when you look at our O!

Edited by snamsnoops

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of those 14 players who rank higher were they on an offense as bad as ours? Do they have a better QB?

Those teams have other WR's to take coverage away from ther top WR as you wrote. Buffalo doesn't!

He is and will be our best WR. We have s hit for depth and letting him walk will hurt our team.

We dont need any more holes to fill

Paying him 7.5 mil isn't top end money for a good WR. Seems like good value. If we dont pay him, a lot of other teams will.

He is 25 years old, and was a 7th round pick who has very good chemistry with our current QB.

Putting up the catches, yards, and TD's he did in the last 2 years in B-lo are pretty good when you look at our O!

I agree with you completely that Johnson is a quality player and we should try to resign him. It's not clear that he really wants $7.5 million APY and not $7.5 million base salary and a bunch of guaranteed $$ up front.

My point is to the post I was addressing that 31 other teams will be lining up to sign Johnson away from us. Try to see it from another team's point of view.

If you're considering signing a guy who wants top-5 or top-10 money, do you want to hear reasons why he might not have been as productive as the guys already on your roster? Or are you looking to pay for proven production? Do you care about the "chemistry" he had with his current team's quarterback, or are you looking for assurances he'll be no-excuses productive for you?

I think you probably look at him as a quality receiver you'd be happy to have on your team at a reasonable salary, but every team is not gonna look at him as a guy who'd be top-5 if only he had a better WR across from him and was playing for a better QB in a better offense, especially if you already have 1-3 receivers with better # s on your roster. If you don't, and you think WR is a big missing piece, sure, see it differently.

Jets are a real possibility, Plax is going to be 35 next year and not a big time guy 45 rec. 600 yds far from 5 years ago. I think they would love to dump Holmes too, he's three years past his onemagical year. Stevie seems to have one goal to promote himself - that means good teams won't touch him. I don't think he'll find the 7.5 mill range and will be back with the Bills. Just a Michael Vick type warning - don't give an idiot money

Jets are a real possibility, Plax is going to be 35 next year and not a big time guy 45 rec. 600 yds far from 5 years ago. I think they would love to dump Holmes too, he's three years past his onemagical year. Stevie seems to have one goal to promote himself - that means good teams won't touch him. I don't think he'll find the 7.5 mill range and will be back with the Bills. Just a Michael Vick type warning - don't give an idiot money

Because 2 celebration penalties = killing dogs and running and an illegal betting operation tied to the killing of said dogs?

Good god, I think we're done here.

By comparing Stevie to Vick you have confirmed what I have thought for a long time, that you are a moron, and most likely a racist. You sicken me, what the hell has Stevie done to warrant comparison to a convicted felon?

Your racist and dont even deserve to be a Bills fan. You are the reason for sterotypes. Get off the board and do us a favor and don't come back

If Stevie were clutch I'd be all for it. But he's not and he's proven time and time again. So if he walks, I'm cool. I want winners.

no, he hasn't "proven it time and time again". he dropped 2 !@#$ing balls. it doesn't make him a loser. what about the game he had 3 2nd half TDs vs Cincy? Was he "clutch" that game?

Your racist and dont even deserve to be a Bills fan. You are the reason for sterotypes. Get off the board and do us a favor and don't come back

Oh, yeah? You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny!

Holy smokes, people around here have a short fuse.

Do I think it's ridiculous to compare Stevie's little bad-judgement endzone penalties with torturing dogs or shooting off firearms in a public place? Yes, yes I do. Absolutely. And see, I just pointed this out without namecalling at all.

Does it help to toss insults and labels around in return? Does it improve this board and raise the quality of the football discussion here? No, no it does not.

I'll just add that I'm delighted to know that everyone here performs every aspect of their day job perfectly and has never made a mistake, or maybe 2 mistakes.

Everyone here thinks if they do make a mistake or their performance slips for some reason, even after a period of demonstrated superior performance, their boss is perfectly justified to tell them they aren't very good and should be replaced.

Now that we're clear on that, we now return you to your regularly scheduled slanging match.:sick:

Edited by Hopeful

(raise one eyebrow) 31 other teams ready to pay $10 million a year (per Chris Brown)?

Stevie rates #19 in yards this year. 14 teams have a player who ranks higher than SJ in receiving yards. 4 of those 14 teams have 2 such receivers. An additional 5 teams have receivers within 50 yds of SJ.

Stevie rates #18 in catches this year. 11 teams have a player who ranks higher than SJ in catches. 4 of those 11 teams have 2 or 3 such receivers.

1) what is their motivation to pay top-10 money for a #19 WR when they already have one?

2) what is Stevie's motivation to move to a team where he'd have to share the yards and attention with 1 or 2 other top wideouts? I don't think he's just about money at this point, he wants numbers and success

At the other end are teams which are likely not in the market for an expensive FA WR....that isn't their focus in FA

If you told me there are perhaps 10 teams which would be a good match for Stevie and will likely pursue him, I'd be more ready to believe that.

For arguements sake, and those falsely saying that stevie is nothing more than a #2, Stevie is 1 of only 9 WRs to rack 1,000 yards in the past 2 seasons.

The others: Megatron, Fitzgerald, White, Wallace, Bowe, Nicks, Colston, and Marshall. Not too shabby

I agree with you completely that Johnson is a quality player and we should try to resign him. It's not clear that he really wants $7.5 million APY and not $7.5 million base salary and a bunch of guaranteed $$ up front.

My point is to the post I was addressing that 31 other teams will be lining up to sign Johnson away from us. Try to see it from another team's point of view.

If you're considering signing a guy who wants top-5 or top-10 money, do you want to hear reasons why he might not have been as productive as the guys already on your roster? Or are you looking to pay for proven production? Do you care about the "chemistry" he had with his current team's quarterback, or are you looking for assurances he'll be no-excuses productive for you?

I think you probably look at him as a quality receiver you'd be happy to have on your team at a reasonable salary, but every team is not gonna look at him as a guy who'd be top-5 if only he had a better WR across from him and was playing for a better QB in a better offense, especially if you already have 1-3 receivers with better # s on your roster. If you don't, and you think WR is a big missing piece, sure, see it differently.

I think they would see it as. If he could do this in B-lo with no other WR to compliment him,,, imagine what he could do on a team with a better O. Or teams may look at it as, he can be productive (back to back 1000 yrd seasons average over 8 td's a season)on any team good O or bad!

He is that good (not great yet) Bottom line is the Bills need to keep SJ13. i am tired of loosing our best players to FA. Ya he may be a little immature, he has only been a starter for 2 years and is 25. He will grow up, and i wanna see it in B-lo! just how i feel!

I look at Steve and see: 1) A guy that is a much better athlete than I will ever be; 2)a guy who has a much more flamboyant and attractive personality than I have; 3)a guy who has a much better sense of humour than I do; 3)a guy (unlike me) who does not have a mean bone in his body 4) a guy who probably had to work harder than me to develop his skillset; 5)a guy who is a good family man (the fact that I may not have the same qualities/values does not prevent me from admiring them in others)

Sometimes I get the impression that some people hate on the guy just because they are resentful & jealous. Well I'm far from perfect, some would say a loser maybe, but at least I'm not part of that MOFSOB crowd.

By comparing Stevie to Vick you have confirmed what I have thought for a long time, that you are a moron, and most likely a racist. You sicken me, what the hell has Stevie done to warrant comparison to a convicted felon?

not comparing what they have done, Stevie is an idiot and about himself. NOTHING to do with race - you went there I didn't. Vick's deal is a huge mistake - you don't think the Eagles would like to get out of that ? Being an idiot is not exclusive to black or white. I'm insulted not knowing anything about me you would call me a racist. The list of idiots in the NFL is too long to post here, what popped in my mind was the most recent mistake of a contract they wished the wouldn't have offered. That was Vick

most of you people disgust me. this man is 25 and had 2 back to back 1000 yard season for BUFFALO!!!! HELLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!! We would be lucky to get him back

and was standing on the sideline watching why again???