Deion Branch and Lee Evans

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats traded Branch away and got him back....cheaper than before I believe.

Since Lee Evans has pretty much stunk the joint up in Baltimore, would he have any interest in coming back to Buffalo for a year or two?? I assume he will be cut by Baltimore, and I assume we may be in need of a veteran deep threat WR...makes sense to me.

Be easy on me when attacking...I'm still hung over from a late night of celebrating the firing of "Gedwards"

No thanks.

Since Lee Evans has pretty much stunk the joint up in Baltimore, would he have any interest in coming back to Buffalo for a year or two?? I assume he will be cut by Baltimore, and I assume we may be in need of a veteran deep threat WR...makes sense to me.

Be easy on me when attacking...I'm still hung over from a late night of celebrating the firing of "Gedwards"

I'd rather have peerless price back.

This

wow you guys are amazing, lee can run any route, was a great college player, a great pro for multiple years, great hands..and oh ya, really fast.

I would say no current reciever on our roster has those traits. And fitz neve had a complete season with lee, ever. So how do you all know if he can get him the ball? he got the ball deep to him several times before in limited opportunities.

again, what short memories most of you have. And you think because trent edwards never threw him the ball that he cant run a slant or drag route? Laughable

Qbs need time to gel with a reciever like losman did with evans, since then hes always had a merry go round of bad qb's or been hurt.

id gladly have him back

wow you guys are amazing, lee can run any route, was a great college player, a great pro for multiple years, great hands..and oh ya, really fast.

again, what short memories most of you have.

No he cannot run any route. At least not anything over the middle. Oh yeah, he's 5'10" (generously) and isn't going to win any jump balls over today's cornerbacks (aside from the 1 youtube video that will no doubt be posted of him vs. Revis). His size also made him completely invisible in the red zone - if he didn't score from 30+ yds out, he actually became a liability around the goal line. To be completely fair, the guy was a terrible route runner. My memories are of a WR who played 8 years in the NFL and averaged 3.2 catches per game. Do you still cling to the one 200+ yd game he had 5 years ago?

Lee Evans dropped a sure touchdown catch

I would say no current receiver on our roster has those traits. And fitz never had a complete season with lee, ever. So how do you all know if he can get him the ball? he got the ball deep to him several times before in limited opportunities.

again, what short memories most of you have. And you think because trent edwards never threw him the ball that he cant run a slant or drag route? Laughable

QBs need time to gel with a receiver like losman did with evans, since then hes always had a merry go round of bad QBs or been hurt.

id gladly have him back

>>>

I agree ... Many BILLS fans in general are amazing with their enormously short memories.

In Lee's defense he had a nagging shoulder injury that he had surgically repaired in '08, and it had an effect on him for 2 seasons prior to undergoing the knife. Then he hurt his ankle which sidelined him and he re-injured it this pre-season with Baltimore. He played hurt alot in his last seasons in Buffalo.

He had some amazing performances before the injuries which many BILLS fans have short memories of, not to mention having to constantly get used to establishing chemistry with our musical QB changes.

He's only 31 years old in 2012, hardly old-age for a WR ... look how old Lofton was when we picked him up and how he produced.

If Evans got a clean bill of health, both that ankle and shoulder I'd love to have him back if it made sense salary-cap wise

Lee Evans' 70 yr TD vs Miami

>>>

Edited by ARTnSocal

Baltimore isn't gonna cut Evans he was hurt all year.

He didn't just go there and lose his skills or his desire to play. He's always been well conditioned and worked hard. Took pride in his game. Very durable (played every game his entire career at Buffalo except for 3 his last year)

You need a guy with a gun to throw to Lee because he lives on the deep ball. That's why he could pull of a 1300 yard season with Losman and why he's not a great fit with Fitzy.

I would say no current reciever on our roster has those traits. And fitz neve had a complete season with lee, ever. So how do you all know if he can get him the ball? he got the ball deep to him several times before in limited opportunities.

Qbs need time to gel with a reciever like losman did with evans, since then hes always had a merry go round of bad qb's or been hurt.

id gladly have him back

Lee Evans wasn't a "great" pro WR for multiple years. He had a couple real good years and one great year. My criteria for a great WR is one that gets at 6 receptions per game, over 100 yards, and has over 10 TD's in a year.

Evans stats:

Year / Over 6 receptions/game /over 100 yds /10+ TD's

2004 / 2 / 2 / 0

2005 / 0 / 2 / 0

2006 / 6 / 3 / 0

2007 / 2 / 2 / 0

2008 / 3 / 4 / 0

2009 / 0 / 0 / 0

2010 / 1 / 1 / 0

Edited by Triple Threat

I'll match your three and raise you three…

Bruce Mathison, Billy Joe Hobert, Kay Stephenson

I'll see yours and go all in with Joe Dufek, Ed Rutkowski (disaster QB in '68), and Harvey Johnson.

This is like that scene in Jaws where they get drunk and compare scars.

GO BILLS!!!

WTF do you want him for? He stinks.

I like the concept.

Lee Evans wasn't a "great" pro WR for multiple years. He had a couple real good years and one great year. My criteria for a great WR is one that gets at 6 receptions per game, over 100 yards, and has over 10 TD's in a year.

Evans stats:

Year / Over 6 receptions/game /over 100 yds /10+ TD's

2004 / 2 / 2 / 0

2005 / 0 / 2 / 0

2006 / 6 / 3 / 0

2007 / 2 / 2 / 0

2008 / 3 / 4 / 0

2009 / 0 / 0 / 0

2010 / 1 / 1 / 0

Atleast 96 catches for 1600 yards and 10 tds? That's had to have been done what, 5 times ever? I'm not going to look for real but that's like Jerry rice record season there. No ones cleared all three of those in the last year or two (victor Cruz being closest this year but short on all 3, and I think roddy white had catches and maybe tds but def not yards last year).

Heck - shave those to 5-75-8 and over a season it's 80 for 1200 yards (15 per) and 8 tds which is pretty great and 20% shy of your numbers (roughly) - even those are GREAT numbers.

Edited by NoSaint

No he cannot run any route. At least not anything over the middle. Oh yeah, he's 5'10" (generously) and isn't going to win any jump balls over today's cornerbacks (aside from the 1 youtube video that will no doubt be posted of him vs. Revis). His size also made him completely invisible in the red zone - if he didn't score from 30+ yds out, he actually became a liability around the goal line. To be completely fair, the guy was a terrible route runner. My memories are of a WR who played 8 years in the NFL and averaged 3.2 catches per game. Do you still cling to the one 200+ yd game he had 5 years ago?

Lee Evans dropped a sure touchdown catch

evans caught and outfought a ton of guys for jump balls over the years. And your missing the point, which is that his qb completely sucked for 3 years! he did great with bledsoe and losman, when fitz came in, TO took most of the deep ball throws away from him, and then he got hurt. you guys just cant seem to keep track of all the things that took place and put 2 and 2 together, you just say one simple catch phrase for every player like "cant go over the middle"(evans) "needs a better line"(edwards) or "cant throw deep"(fitz)

Evans also is not undersized, hes bigger than steve smith and santonio holmes and faster than both. I wish there was a year he could play un injured and with a good qb, if anything just to shut you guys up. Mark my words, when evans is healthy and in the line up for a while, hell make a come back...and youll all wish we still had him.

Edited by loserlovers

Atleast 96 catches for 1600 yards and 10 tds? That's had to have been done what, 5 times ever? I'm not going to look for real but that's like Jerry rice record season there. No ones cleared all three of those in the last year or two (victor Cruz being closest this year but short on all 3, and I think roddy white had catches and maybe tds but def not yards last year).

Heck - shave those to 5-75-8 and over a season it's 80 for 1200 yards (15 per) and 8 tds which is pretty great and 20% shy of your numbers (roughly) - even those are GREAT numbers.

Guess you haven't heard of Calvin Johnson? 1681 yards and 16 touchdowns? LOL (Oh and it's his third year posting similar numbers)

There are a bunch of guys near those numbers (the other poster not Calvin Johnson).. Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Marques Colston, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings before his injury..

Edited by markinsd

Guess you haven't heard of Calvin Johnson? 1681 yards and 16 touchdowns? LOL (Oh and it's his third year posting similar numbers)

There are a bunch of guys near those numbers (the other poster not Calvin Johnson).. Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Marques Colston, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings before his injury..

I did forget cj for a minute there. For some reason victor Cruz ended as the yardage leader in my head. Which would have left cj just shy. My mistake.

Colston 80 - 1100 - 8

Nelson 68 - 1200 - 15

Wallace 72- 1200 -8

Cruz 82 - 1500 - 9

Welker 122 - 1500 - 9

I think my point stands - 96 - 1600+ and 10 are out of this world numbers. Breaking those benchmarks isn't just great receiver numbers, they are career bests for once in a generation type players. These are excerpts from the top handful of receivers many of which were on essentially record breaking offenses this year. Go over history and see how truly rare 96-1600-10 really would be. I still bet CJ, and rice are 2 of a VERY small number if any others to clear those three benchmarks. I also maintain 80-1200-8 is a much more realistic cutoff for great players... What, 4 receivers and the two greatest seasons ever put up by tightends would have hit those in a record breaking year for the league? We had 4 guys fighting for Marinos passing record- I'm not banking on that being the norm yet and certainly wasn't over the years we are talking about with lee.

Edited by NoSaint

I thought we agreed we weren't gonna attack him?

I don't recall you agreeing to that concept upon uttering the words "Kay Stephenson".... :pirate:

As for the general purpose of this post - I gathered the Ravens weren't too happy with Lee's performance before his injury; as such, with a young QB in Flacco, they may be looking for another burner WR for more than a few seasons. The Bills, on the other hand have ABSOLUTELY no speed receiver. If you are the Jets, do you match Revis against Evans as a deep threat or Cromartie. If Cromartie, are we to assume a healthy Evans could not get any separation or at least cause a flag to be thrown. I don't think we expect Fitz to throw a 50 yd frozen rope ball...but a fade route or timing pattern at 20 yards and Evans has most CB's in the NFL beat. I am not saying he will have a 1000 yd season, but for the price (if he is to be traded for salary or picks) may prove more fruitful for the team than watching Ruvell Martin slip on the turf (as he is apt to do.....or was that Parrish, or was it Roosevelt)....Evans is a nice distraction and will force teams to game plan if we retain SJ. That was my point.