Buddy Nix to retire after 2012 draft?

Jdragon2

Again....

Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers.

6-10 last season with Singletary.

Inside of a year. No communication with players. No mini-camps. Shortened training camp. Alex Smith at starting QB.

Now it looks like they're going toe to toe with the Packers for the NFC.

"Development takes time" whining?

BULLSTEVESTOJAN!!!!

Also, don't confuse the exception with the rule.

Just because something is possible does not make it probable.

Harbaugh will get Coach of the Year because he did something very exceptional… not something everyone expects a new coach to do.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posted this in a separate thread, but a local sports writer here in Indianapolis (Bob Kravitz) wrote a column this morning saying that the Colts' owner is considering Doug Whaley to replace the recently fired Polians (both Bill and his son Chris) as the new GM for the Colts. If Buffalo wants to keep Whaley, they better lock him up quickly.

Again....

Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers.

6-10 last season with Singletary.

Inside of a year. No communication with players. No mini-camps. Shortened training camp. Alex Smith at starting QB.

Now it looks like they're going toe to toe with the Packers for the NFC.

"Development takes time" whining?

BULLSTEVESTOJAN!!!!

Sorry James, but this is the exact type of short-sighted comment I was referring to. It lacks any type of perspective because it doesnt take a Football Genius to know the difference between a "Franchise Rebuild" and a mere "Coaching Change".

Buddy Nix inherited a team whose previous administration was drafting guys like Aaron Maybin, Leodis McKelvin, Poz, Donte Whitner, James Hardy, etc. I dont think I have to re-hash our entire history of bad drafting from 2000-2009.

Jim Harbaugh was hired to coach a talented team, by a stable Front Office who had drafted the likes of Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Anthony Davis, Crabtree, etc. They also brought in a bunch of quality Free Agents AFTER the core of drafted players were established.

There was no rebuild as the team was already built over the previous few years of floundering.

In a couple years, once the player core has been established, then it will be prudent to look at another coaching upgrade.

Great point about Alex Smith though. It helps us back Fitz, as Smith has looked down right HORRIBLE over the past few years. But as the 49ers proved, if you surround the QB with talent and good coaching, they can succeed. The 49ers should make us all feel better about Fitz's contract. Now it's up to Buddy and Whaley to surround him with talent. I think with Jackson/Spiller backfield, the OLine coming together, and a couple of WRs, we are right there.

But comparing the Bills to the 49ers is comparing apples to... an apple pie.

Sorry James, but this is the exact type of short-sighted comment I was referring to. It lacks any type of perspective because it doesnt take a Football Genius to know the difference between a "Franchise Rebuild" and a mere "Coaching Change".

Buddy Nix inherited a team whose previous administration was drafting guys like Aaron Maybin, Leodis McKelvin, Poz, Donte Whitner, James Hardy, etc. I dont think I have to re-hash our entire history of bad drafting from 2000-2009.

Jim Harbaugh was hired to coach a talented team, by a stable Front Office who had drafted the likes of Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Anthony Davis, Crabtree, etc. They also brought in a bunch of quality Free Agents AFTER the core of drafted players were established.

There was no rebuild as the team was already built over the previous few years of floundering.

In a couple years, once the player core has been established, then it will be prudent to look at another coaching upgrade.

Great point about Alex Smith though. It helps us back Fitz, as Smith has looked down right HORRIBLE over the past few years. But as the 49ers proved, if you surround the QB with talent and good coaching, they can succeed. The 49ers should make us all feel better about Fitz's contract. Now it's up to Buddy and Whaley to surround him with talent. I think with Jackson/Spiller backfield, the OLine coming together, and a couple of WRs, we are right there.

But comparing the Bills to the 49ers is comparing apples to... an apple pie.

So, you are against making (what you see as )ill informed statements when it comes to football, but you don't use the same thought process in other areas. Interesting.

So, you are against making (what you see as )ill informed statements when it comes to football, but you don't use the same thought process in other areas. Interesting.

lol, like silly OT posts? no, thats all fun and games. Talking football on the internet = serious business.

Great point about Alex Smith though. It helps us back Fitz, as Smith has looked down right HORRIBLE over the past few years. But as the 49ers proved, if you surround the QB with talent and good coaching, they can succeed. The 49ers should make us all feel better about Fitz's contract.

By the way, you are comparing the 1st overall pick to the 250th overall pick in the same draft class. (The Tom Brady exception holds no water; both for the rarity of a franchise QB -- or really more League Icon -- taken that late in the draft and that he won a Super Bowl and MVP in his second season.) Smith is tasting success now while Fitzpatrick is still inconsistent but hopefully going to get better -- saying one is the apple pie and one is the apple on a tree is pretty apt.

I don't see a lot of parallels between Harbaugh's move to make the 49ers more of a "ground and pound" team to Gailey's moves of making the Bills an aerial circus.

As for the contract, I'm not sure how many Bills fans cheer for Ralph to put more money in his pocket than the next owner, but if it makes you happy then it can't be that bad.

other than losing...i like what Nix is doing.

Fixed.

i call BULLCHIT !!!.....unless Nix has a health issue we are unaware of, his retiring after this draft makes no sense.

Whaley is like a backup QB.....he may or may not be good.

other than Troup and Kelsay...i like what Nix is doing.

In the final analysis its all about winning football games. Injury bugs happen to everyone, free agency happens to everyone, and failures to keep good players or recruit them is on the management. We played awful football the final three quarters of the season. I'm not all that sure we have a better team than Jauron had, and that is two full years into the Nix/Gailey administration.

We had better set some goals for next year and hold folks feet to the fire.

I noticed the Patsies offensive co-ordinator just ripping into the Pates offense after they were down 21-0. There is a reason they win.