97 Rock Will No Longer Carry Bills Games

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they actually have to be positive? Never!

Are people really critical that GR isn't positive about the Bills? Has there been much to be positive about? During just two short stretches since I moved back here seven years ago, the team has been worth talking about in a positive manner: FIrst five weeks of 2008 and first five weeks of 2011.

Do you really want the radio opinion folks to talk up a crappy team? Is that useful? If so, to what end?

Are people really critical that GR isn't positive about the Bills? Has there been much to be positive about? During just two short stretches since I moved back here seven years ago, the team has been worth talking about in a positive manner: FIrst five weeks of 2008 and first five weeks of 2011.

Do you really want the radio opinion folks to talk up a crappy team? Is that useful? If so, to what end?

My understanding of the criticism of GR (I don't listen to them) is that they are dismissive, lazy, and not serious about their coverage of the Bills.

They were apparently dismissive because they carry the Sabres and not the Bills so there is a strong rationale for not drumming up Bills conversation… it's bad for their business. That will now change.

Their hosts, Schopp and Bulldog made short, dismissive, snarky, simple-minded remarks and analysis about the Bills.

I hate this personally… and it happens on this board quite a bit. I don't give a damn really if someone is "negative" as long as they're not just shytting out flip statements. If a professional sports broadcaster thinks something, then by all means explain it intelligently because as we all know, Buffalo is a serious sports town.

We don't like dismissive and flip sports commentary.

If Gailey sucks, approach the subject with the same seriousness, analysis, and passion that your listenership approaches it with.

From what I gather, this is where GR has failed for many years.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

That's how I followed most games this year streaming 97 Rock. For some reason I prefer it on the radio. That was I can have it as background as I do more entertaining things like cooking, shaving my back hair or jerking off. Those of you that have spent any kind of money to watch this team every week the past 10 is nothing but a sucker.

Really, how much money can a local radio station make off an NFL football game especially if they aren't a sports directed station? Anybody that knows what they are doing can watch the games on their PC's or cell phones - blacked out or not - - radio advertising income is falling off the chart.

That's how I followed most games this year streaming 97 Rock. For some reason I prefer it on the radio. That was I can have it as background as I do more entertaining things like cooking, shaving my back hair or jerking off. Those of you that have spent any kind of money to watch this team every week the past 10 is nothing but a sucker.

It's not like shaving my back while listening to Van Miller on WBEN back in the glory days… that's for sure.

My understanding of the criticism of GR (I don't listen to them) is that they are dismissive, lazy, and not serious about their coverage of the Bills.

They were apparently dismissive because they carry the Sabres and not the Bills so there is a strong rationale for not drumming up Bills conversation… it's bad for their business. That will now change.

Their hosts, Schopp and Bulldog made short, dismissive, snarky, simple-minded remarks and analysis about the Bills.

I hate this personally… and it happens on this board quite a bit. I don't give a damn really if someone is "negative" as long as they're not just shytting out flip statements. If a professional sports broadcaster thinks something, then by all means explain it intelligently because as we all know, Buffalo is a serious sports town.

We don't like dismissive and flip sports commentary.

If Gailey sucks, approach the subject with the same seriousness, analysis, and passion that your listenership approaches it with.

From what I gather, this is where GR has failed for many years.

They talk about the Bills ALL THE TIME. People get pissy when the folks at the station talk hockey. I can't imagine what they'd do in a market with four--or seven!--pro sports teams plus major college sports.

People also get pissy when they do things like a country draft or Thanksgiving dinner Survivor (you'd have to listen to understand; you wrote that you don't). I can understand a little more about the frustration with that, even if I think it's entertaining. It certainly isn't sports talk.

But they do treat the Bills very seriously. Negatively, which is deserved, but seriously. They had a great ten-minute interview with SJ the day after the benching. 97 Rock didn't.

Schopp and the Bulldog make snarky remarks about drunk callers, not so much about the Bills. Frankly, listening to the drunk caller beat-down is usually more entertaining than listening to the coack explain a loss, but I'll certainly admit that Sunday, I was tuned in to 97 to hear Gailey explain the SJ situation. That lasted a minute, and then I was back to GR to hear a decent dialogue instead of just an interview.

They talk about the Bills ALL THE TIME. People get pissy when the folks at the station talk hockey. I can't imagine what they'd do in a market with four--or seven!--pro sports teams plus major college sports.

People also get pissy when they do things like a country draft or Thanksgiving dinner Survivor (you'd have to listen to understand; you wrote that you don't). I can understand a little more about the frustration with that, even if I think it's entertaining. It certainly isn't sports talk.

But they do treat the Bills very seriously. Negatively, which is deserved, but seriously. They had a great ten-minute interview with SJ the day after the benching. 97 Rock didn't.

Schopp and the Bulldog make snarky remarks about drunk callers, not so much about the Bills. Frankly, listening to the drunk caller beat-down is usually more entertaining than listening to the coack explain a loss, but I'll certainly admit that Sunday, I was tuned in to 97 to hear Gailey explain the SJ situation. That lasted a minute, and then I was back to GR to hear a decent dialogue instead of just an interview.

Thanks for the perspective of a regular listener.

You do hear tons of criticism of the station hereabouts and not much in the way of compliments.