I completey disagree

covac23

I don't believe Fitz is the problem or the O Line is the problem. I think Chan and his pass happy play calling is to blame. I say this considering I watched us on 1st and 10 in a 5 receiver set all season and I would see us up by 3 possessions (such as today) and we would still run a pass first offense. When you pass the ball, there are three possible outcomes: a completion, interception or tipped pass which can be grabbed by either team (but it's more likely to be picked considering most of the players are running downfield away from the ball). When you run, there are two possible outcomes: a run and done or fumble (which has an equal chance of being recovered by either team). It's extremely frustrating watching Chan beat the **** out of our pass plays and come up short most of the time. I can't support this philosophy and I can't support however long our owner decides to keep Chan.

Live and Die Bills!!!

The OP is right. Chan's "pass no matter what" play calling lost us games. Not running Spiller more these past 4 games is beyond stupid. The kid became a weapon and Chan chose to run a practice squad cast off and to throw to 3rd and 4th string receivers instead. Just crazy.

I've been virtually crusading on this point but I'm not here to pile on.

Instead I've gained another layer of understanding.

In another thread on this subject, Dick Drawn claimed that from where he sits at midfield in The Ralph, there are receivers open on many if not most of the pass plays that Gailey calls.

Based on this testimony it seems that Fitz is not able to deliver the ball where it needs to be delivered on a consistent enough basis.

This is certainly consistent with my impressions of late.

So the upshot of all this is that the play calling would look much better with a better quarterback… which also means that the play calling is not that bad.

HOWEVER, the irony of this above conclusion is that if Fitz can't execute the offensive strategy, it validates the criticism of Gailey's play calling… that he's passing too much.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

In another thread on this subject, Dick Drawn claimed that from where he sits at midfield in The Ralph, there are receivers open on many if not most of the pass plays that Gailey calls.

Based on this testimony it seems that Fitz is not able to deliver the ball where it needs to be delivered on a consistent enough basis.

So the upshot of all this is that the play calling would look much better with a better quarterback… which also means that the play calling is not that bad.

HOWEVER, the irony of this above conclusion is that if Fitz can't execute the offensive strategy, it validates the criticism of Gailey's play calling… that he's passing too much.

this

As to the OP's point, I think the offense's biggest strength this year was the OL's ability to open up running lanes, combined with the abilities of two dynamic rushers. Gailey was either unwilling or unable to use this to his advantage.

Using today as an example, Spiller was a pretty automatic 4-5 yards against the Pats but Gailey opted to pass the ball on 76% of our offensive downs (we rushed the ball 20 times out of 66 plays, but I only count 14 of those because 5 were scrambles by Fitz and 1 was the fake punt).

As to the OP's point, I think the offense's biggest strength this year was the OL's ability to open up running lanes, combined with the abilities of two dynamic rushers. Gailey was either unwilling or unable to use this to his advantage.

Using today as an example, Spiller was a pretty automatic 4-5 yards against the Pats but Gailey opted to pass the ball on 76% of our offensive downs (we rushed the ball 20 times out of 66 plays, but I only count 14 of those because 5 were scrambles by Fitz and 1 was the fake punt).

In a game in which we led for almost 3 complete quarters.

SJBF, there are two parts to a pass play. The receiver must be open, and the QB must have time to read and react - perceive that the receiver is open and make the pass.

If the intent is a timing play, the receiver also has to be where the QB expects him to be.

I don't disagree that the play calling would look much better with a better quarterback - a Brees, a Rodgers, a Brady. But the point of a truly good coach is to design plays that the players he's got can execute, not? That means the whole team - Fitz, the OL du jour, the WR.

I'm not saying this is true of Dick's perception, previously it has seemed that sometimes fans misperceive the openness of receivers, that the receiver may look open but there's actually a DB positioned to jump the throw or a lineman in position to tip it, or that the receiver looks open at the end of the play but actually wasn't open or positioned to get open during the critical period. Again, not saying this is true of anyone specific here and I'm not at the games myself; it's IMO very tough to tell what's really going on from what's shown on TV.

In a game in which we led for almost 3 complete quarters.

Ayup. Sort of blows the "Chan has to pass because we're 3 TD behind all the time" story out of the water, eh?

I tend to agree. With better players Chan's play calling probably would be back to Megamind status.

To try to better wrap up my point two posts above:

You can't argue that the play calling is good and that the problem is execution.

Because if the players can't execute the play calls, that means the play calling is bad.

Either that, or the player's preparation is bad (which kinda points at the coaches as well).

Chan gailey is hands down the most predictable offensive coordinator in the league. It took him an entire extra season to realize the "wildcat" had lost it's strategic value in professional football. And when he's not being completely transparent, he veers off into the land of the absurd.

Throwing deep on 3rd & 1, -punting on 4th and inches when we're down three scores in the first.

(But going for it in the 4th when the game is out of hand.)

I don't give a crap what Chan did with Pittsburgh, or Dallas in the 90's, he can't call a game to save his life today. Offensive philosophy? Ha! -I wish we had one. Right now all we have is another lost season, and a madman's delusion of being an NFL calibre coach.

Edited by #34fan

The Patriots run basically the same offence as we do BUT they have Tom Brady So giving a pass (no pun intended) to Fitzpatrick doesn't count, now I like the passing as much as anybody but a good offensive philosophy is to have balance so to keep your opponents guess what is coming but when yo stay in the shotgun 97% of the time every one knows your going to pass more than 90% of the time & unless you got a Tom Brady type QB your gonna be 5-11 every season if not worse

To try to better wrap up my point two posts above:

You can't argue that the play calling is good and that the problem is execution.

Because if the players can't execute the play calls, that means the play calling is bad.

UNLESS you don't have the players to execute any play call.

Remember, the other team's defense is getting paid too.

You said there were receivers open - and frankly, our receivers aren't that fast - so that would seem to put it ALL on Fitz if he isn't executing.

As for this entire thread - Fred Jackson was leading the NFL in rushing or very close to it when he went down. I don't care what % of plays were called if that's the result - they were running the ball plenty when that's the result.

Edited by BobChalmers