Uniform Change again in 2012?

HT02

The NFL contract for uniforms with Reebok expires this year and Nike will be the official supplier for all NFL teams next year. Typically when this happens the mfg's want all the teams to change their uniforms in order to boost sales and so when the Bills announced the new uniforms this year I was wondering if they would do a one and done on us.

Well interestingly enough the Bills put all the jerseys in the Bills online store on sale for 39.95 from 85. Which seriously leads me to believe that at least a "refreshing" is ahead. Has anyone heard of anything "official"?

I imagine there will be a few tweaks in the shift to Nike (I'm hopeful that the sleeve stripes will become more standardized rather than having some guys having them in the traditional horizontal -- and some guys having them as a 3/4-over-shoulder slash / ).

There may be a return to the Standing Buffalo theme for the allowable two games; I'm not sure about that. At the time of the unveiling, we learned that there weren't any blue pants, but that it was possible they would tag along when the switch to Nike was made.

But there won't be a major overhaul. There can't be a major overhaul of the design this soon, per NFL regulations. Teams must wait five years minimum b/w major changes, and any minor changes need to have a good reason (e.g. the Dolphags reducing the thickness of the black shading/striping a few years ago b/c it looked like absolute crap on the new HD cameras).

The manufacturer may have some say WRT available material, seam patterning, and they do have some input once a team decides to change but the teams have final say-so when it comes to their branding. There will probably be a few teams who were waiting for this transition to make changes --- it's widely spoken of that the Broncos will be going back to some version of an Orange Crush uni.

Those 'Nike Pro Combat' images die hard in fans' collective memories, tho. Rest assured that those were musings, probably as a way to give a couple of Nike interns some busy-work. The manufacturer CANNOT force big changes.

For the pricing, well, that's to be expected when they're switching makers. They've gotta sell as much of the existing stock as they can to people who don't give a stevestojan that they're not buying the laundry with the Swoosh on it like the team will have next season.

Edited by UConn James

I know jerseys have nothing to do with wins and losses but I just like the blue jerseys better than the white ones we had... If they are going to keep the white jersey look for away games with nike? I hope they at least incorporate some blue pants to with it... Just like Deion said, when you look good, you feel good... when you feel good, you play good... :flirt:

For the pricing, well, that's to be expected when they're switching makers. They've gotta sell as much of the existing stock as they can to people who don't give a stevestojan that they're not buying the laundry with the Swoosh on it like the team will have next season.

There is also a date that the team is probably no longer allowed to sell the old stuff anymore so they want to clear out the existing stock to get ready for the new stuff

I know the selection is very thin i went on line today to look into getting a white away jersey and all they have are Dareus jersey's & the blue home jersey's of which i have 3 ..

Does any one want a brand new Poz jersey i got one ... WOO HOO !!!!

Rules were meant to rewritten, especially when there is money to be made.

My guess is Nike wouldn't have written a nice big check if they didn't expect something in return. Just changing the logo from Reebok to Nike isn't enough to make anyone plop down $90+. I hope you are right and the league and Bills don't try to treat us like chumps. The Bills front office would never do anything like that right?)

I imagine there will be a few tweaks in the shift to Nike (I'm hopeful that the sleeve stripes will become more standardized rather than having some guys having them in the traditional horizontal -- and some guys having them as a 3/4-over-shoulder slash / ).

There may be a return to the Standing Buffalo theme for the allowable two games; I'm not sure about that. At the time of the unveiling, we learned that there weren't any blue pants, but that it was possible they would tag along when the switch to Nike was made.

But there won't be a major overhaul. There can't be a major overhaul of the design this soon, per NFL regulations. Teams must wait five years minimum b/w major changes, and any minor changes need to have a good reason (e.g. the Dolphags reducing the thickness of the black shading/striping a few years ago b/c it looked like absolute crap on the new HD cameras).

The manufacturer may have some say WRT available material, seam patterning, and they do have some input once a team decides to change but the teams have final say-so when it comes to their branding. There will probably be a few teams who were waiting for this transition to make changes --- it's widely spoken of that the Broncos will be going back to some version of an Orange Crush uni.

Those 'Nike Pro Combat' images die hard in fans' collective memories, tho. Rest assured that those were musings, probably as a way to give a couple of Nike interns some busy-work. The manufacturer CANNOT force big changes.

Also an added note, Reebok doesn't produce the jersey's the players actually wear. The Bills jersey's that they wear on the field are actually made by a company in Minnesota. Reebok or Nike is basically licensed to produce the jersey's that the fans buy. This is because players have specifically tailored jersey's. Therefore a small company is needed. Nike and Reebok are able to handle the huge demand for fan jersey's that a small company obviously can't. The design of the jersey's is up to the team and the league, not the manufacturer.

Well, The new unis announced earlier in the year were, essentially, the annual "sizzle" from OBD. If you can't dazzle em with your "on field brilliance" baffle them with BS... any flavor of koolaid will do.

So, it would not surprise me if they make another uni change. I mean, hey, they have no plan to transform this team into a winner, so, "bidness be bidness". Gotta do someting to get the fans attention if you can't do it with "dub-yas" Trust me, Russ will have a fresh batch of koolaid ready this spring. I Garo-frikin-tee that.

UConn got it right - Buff can't make another design overhaul this soon. Nike will put their own design flair into everyone's unis, but they won't mess with the Bills overall design.

I do like the idea of Nike designing pro-combat styled uniforms for NFL teams to wear once a season. They would sell a boat load and while the pro-combat styles haven't always worked, some of those one offs (TCU comes to mind) have looked great.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

People were freaked out in the NHL when they changed jersey production contracts, but it was much ado about nothing. Minor changes were made to a few teams, but there weren't wholesale changes like many thought.

This sounds like much of the same.

The NFL contract for uniforms with Reebok expires this year and Nike will be the official supplier for all NFL teams next year. Typically when this happens the mfg's want all the teams to change their uniforms in order to boost sales and so when the Bills announced the new uniforms this year I was wondering if they would do a one and done on us.

Well interestingly enough the Bills put all the jerseys in the Bills online store on sale for 39.95 from 85. Which seriously leads me to believe that at least a "refreshing" is ahead. Has anyone heard of anything "official"?

Hopefully, we look like the Colts but with a buffalo instead and spritz of red.

I would love red and black unis like the Sabres did a few years back, those rocked. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: