Front Office Shakeup

silvermike

Seems like nix has been keeping a progressively lower profile along with the losing streak. Wouldn't shock me if he's on the way out. Last years draft was a disappoint and Ralph can't be happy with all the money he wasted on his boy merriman

The merriman pick up allowed us to score the classy vet Barnett who actually stayed healthy and saved the team from even further embarrassment if that's possible.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that Buddy is the one that needs to go he has brought in some good talent & a good coach , O.K. we aren't in the play offs but they gave DJ 3 yrs plus an extension Gailey has only been here 2 .

I think if they make a move in the front office it should be some of Ralphs croney's that get the ax !! Time for some new blood & a change of direction in B-lo !!

Well since its oficially unofficial that Buddy is "retiring".

May I suggest the Polian family as a replacement? The little I read about them is that fans in Indy want them tarred, feathered, then hung.

Maybe Ralph no longer remembers Bill once worked for him? Now that's a front office shake up people could get behind.

Sometimes small comments in a rag can take on a life of there own. Take this thread as an example.

a couple of things

Buddy is now I think 72

Buddy ramped up whaley's portfolio last year. Perhaps so whaley could evalute every aspect of the Bills front office

could be that Buddy is going to me more of a consultant and whaley takes over full time duties as gm

what do you think ?

Edited by jcbillsfan

a couple of things

Buddy is now I think 72

Buddy ramp up Haley's portfolio last year. Perhaps so Haley could evalute every aspect of the Bills front office

could be that Buddy is going to me more of a consultant and Haley takes over full time duties as gm 3

what do you think ?

I think you need to get his name right! :lol:

Whaley was always the heir apparent.

It was a bit of a suprise we pulled Whaley from pitts. Whaley was considered a top flight NFL exec on the rise.

So maybe Nix' naps are getting too long and he is ready to go fishin full time.

I don't think anyone would mind if Whaley took over.

If he influenced the 2011 draft then that's a clear indication he can pick talent. If he helped recruit Barnett then that's even better.

The Bills don't have anyone with the title of "Vice President of Football Operations" or what have you, so maybe Nix gets "promoted" to that as a part-time consulting job while Whaley handles the day-to-day as general manager. Who knows? But I hope we at least see some activity.

The Bills don't have anyone with the title of "Vice President of Football Operations" or what have you, so maybe Nix gets "promoted" to that as a part-time consulting job while Whaley handles the day-to-day as general manager. Who knows? But I hope we at least see some activity.

Im way more interested in activity with the Coaching Staff than the current front office. But if it means promoting Whaley so we dont lose him to another team, then Im all for it.

Nothing will change until Wilson, Littman, Overdorf, etc... are no longer with the organization. NOTHING. :(

Agreed. I liked the Whaley hiring and woudl be glad if he got promoted to GM. The problem comes in when he identifies the players he wants/wants to keep and overdorf and littman say NO to paying for the players.

Whaley can want to re-sign Stevie all he wants, but if Overdouche/Littman says "no, it'll hurt the bottom line," then Stevie is gone.

Agreed. I liked the Whaley hiring and woudl be glad if he got promoted to GM. The problem comes in when he identifies the players he wants/wants to keep and overdorf and littman say NO to paying for the players.

Whaley can want to re-sign Stevie all he wants, but if Overdouche/Littman says "no, it'll hurt the bottom line," then Stevie is gone.

Can any of us name one example of this actually happening?

The Bills threw crazy money at Dockery and Walker a couple years ago. We outbid the Jets for Smith, and the Falcons for Clabo.

When have the "bean counters" nixxed a signing? (no pun intended)

THis seems most likely to me. Nix is retiring/being pushed out in favor of Whaley. Can't imagine a wholesale changeover.

Hopefully Nix is retiring (guy is in his 70's and as enough $ to retire, why not), Whaley is promoted to GM, and Edwards is gone as DC and Del Rio or another "failed" HC but great DC is brought in. Wanny can stay as assistant HC and help with college scouting.

The Bills threw crazy money at Dockery and Walker a couple years ago. We outbid the Jets for Smith, and the Falcons for Clabo.

Pretty sure they were behind cutting Hargnerter, which set back our O-line a bit when injuries hit. Also pretty sure they were behind the Lee Evans trade, then suddenly we have no #2 WR. Or the fact that they refuse to pick up a pass rusher in FA. Lets see if they get Mathis or Freeney or anyone else this year.

Edited by RyanC883

In addition what player had Buddy let go that was a key or cornerstone player.

Hopefully Nix is retiring (guy is in his 70's and as enough $ to retire, why not), Whaley is promoted to GM, and Edwards is gone as DC and Del Rio or another "failed" HC but great DC is brought in. Wanny can stay as assistant HC and help with college scouting.

Pretty sure they were behind cutting Hargnerter, which set back our O-line a bit when injuries hit. Also pretty sure they were behind the Lee Evans trade, then suddenly we have no #2 WR. Or the fact that they refuse to pick up a pass rusher in FA. Lets see if they get Mathis or Freeney or anyone else this year.

not one team in the league would keep Harnerter at his salary as a backup. Dallas faced with a similar situation cut there starting center from a year ago. Evans was not a number 2 reciever , he is broken and barely plays

mathis and freeney at thier age are not coming to a rebuild. Maybe they talk avril into coming will see

Can we somehow pin this inquiry?

Everyone who professes to see the man behind the curtain makes the claim sans link, an act that is entirely impermissible in any other discussion here at TSW...why the free pass when it comes to THIS?

Edited by The Big Cat

Whaley was always the heir apparent.

It was a bit of a suprise we pulled Whaley from pitts. Whaley was considered a top flight NFL exec on the rise.

So maybe Nix' naps are getting too long and he is ready to go fishin full time.

I don't think anyone would mind if Whaley took over.

If he influenced the 2011 draft then that's a clear indication he can pick talent. If he helped recruit Barnett then that's even better.

Knowing our luck, Whaley was probably the (*^*&%^$^#at OBD that convinced everybody that giving Fitz that extension was a good idea & taking Troupe over Gronk in the 2nd round was the right move.

They refused to pony up for Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, etc. They were (and this is well documented)behind the Evans trade and the Hangartner cutting. They were behind the cutting of Langston Walker even though he would have been a serviceable backup. All of these moves happened for monetary reasons, not football ones.

Then you toss in the yearly "we're not going to be active in free agency" that we're subjected to and their refusal to consider almost all top free agents, its fairly easy to connect the dots. And before you bring up Barnett, remember the Packers released him later on in free agency. Its not as if he was a big name out there on day 1 of free agency. We only "outbid" the jets on smith because they were holding money back in hopes of signing Asomugha.

The bean counters have been running the show for a while now. If you can't notice this then i'm sorry for you.

So the best we have is being "pretty sure" (meaning: enough people on the board said it) that they were behind

1. cutting a guy with a back problem so bad he couldnt snap the ball to a Shotgun QB last year and regularly got shoved back into the QB

2. trading a WR who they once made the 3rd highest paid WR whose production has declined to almost 0 and got a 4th round pick for him

The HORROR!!

In addition what player had Buddy let go that was a key or cornerstone player.

not one team in the league would keep Harnerter at his salary as a backup. Dallas faced with a similar situation cut there starting center from a year ago. Evans was not a number 2 reciever , he is broken and barely plays

You may be right, but the way Dallas spends vs. how Buffalo spends are two completely different animals. Dallas actually spends enough to be in cap danger and has elite players to pay. Hangartner was getting paid slightly above going rate for a backup or average interior OL. For one more year while you find out what you have, it would not have been throwing good money after bad. I think Hangartner at OC while everyone else can maintain their positions would have been better than Levitre, then Urbik (who has performed OK) and multiple shifts. Urbik should have been able to stay at RG.

I would really love it if Whaley got a shot. He was highly touted the year before he came to Buffalo as a promising prospect for a bunch of GM positions. If he were to step up as GM - a young, vigorous man in a man's business - he'd be out to show everyone he can put a team together. There's no way he would sit back and take a slow approach to this. I mean, he'd have nothing to lose by trying to put together a winner quickly - after all, how long will Buffalo Bills be here? - and possibly a lot to lose if he was slow with it.

Good Post. Whaley will need to get some street cred fast, as a new owner will start over with an entirely new organization. So maybe we see some fast action.